D&D 5E War Never Changes: Fallout Inspired Post Apocalyptic Campaign?

Zardnaar

Legend
GenZ nostalgiac for the 80s is like D&D nerds wishing they lived in medieval times. Lol.

Pretty much. They look at one aspect eg cheap rent/house and ignore or are unaware of other aspects.

Think my mother paid something like $1000 (600 usd) for a 21 inch colour TV. That TV lasted into the 90s.

No social media was nice though.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I mentioned in another thread, I think, that I've been tinkering with a Fabula Ultima (Fallout Ultima) version of Fallout, I might see if my group wants to do a little one-shot campaign to see how it goes while we wait to see what we're going to do next (currently 5e or OSE by the sounds of things).

So far I've replaced the Fabula Ultima classes with SPECIAL, trying to get at least 10 perks for each attribute, many of which I've taken from fallout 4.

I've also brought in the Mutant Year Zero settlement guidelines which I'll use to build up the players home settlement (or maybe it'll just be abandoned, I think a lot of people don't bother with the settlements in Fallout 4).

When moving about the map, you make travel rolls which might lead to a discovery, I'll come up with some basic discoveries like a stash with caps and inventory points (inventory points are used to represent things like health or mana potions, Fallout: stimpacks and nuka cola) or places like Poseidon Energy or Robco).

For Fallout 5e, you might want to look at the d20 version called Exodus (apparently an issue with licensing so they filed off the Fallout IP), I know it is on Drivethru RPG but not sure how much it is, should provide some ideas to be brought into 5e.

pukunui

Legend
I originally looked at the bundle for dragonlance on the wotc suite and the cost of postage killed any desire to order through the.
Postage from the US became unaffordable when the USPS killed their economy airmail and their surface (via ship) options. Now it’s expensive first class airmail only.

Boy, do I miss the Book Depository with its free international shipping! I bought all my early 5e books from them plus plenty of other books.

On topic: @Zardnaar, was the idea that you wanted to run Fallout using D&D, or that Fallout has inspired you to want to run D&D in a post apocalyptic wasteland (that isn’t Dark Sun)?

Zardnaar

Legend
Postage from the US became unaffordable when the USPS killed their economy airmail and their surface (via ship) options. Now it’s expensive first class airmail only.

Boy, do I miss the Book Depository with its free international shipping! I bought all my early 5e books from them plus plenty of other books.

On topic: @Zardnaar, was the idea that you wanted to run Fallout using D&D, or that Fallout has inspired you to want to run D&D in a post apocalyptic wasteland (that isn’t Dark Sun)?

Second idea. 5E is poor for Darksun. I don't want to play Darksun, Fallout or Gamma World or drop money on expensive books or to many pdfs (1-2 small cheap ones might be fine).

Budget $0 to $30 ($50 nzd) max. I've got around 500 items on the shelves and probably 500-1000 odd pdfs.

Lalato

Adventurer
There are a bunch of post-apocalyptic setting/world books for D&D 5e from various 3rd party publishers. Granted, they all vary greatly from Fallout's lore, but one of them might click for you.

This is from the list I maintain...

2099 WastelandPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiLegendary Games
Aesyr: TrollbornPost-Apocalyptic, Fantasy, Trollpunk, MicrosettingDaylight Publications
After the CrashPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiLupus Rex Games
Apocalypse the RisenModern, Post-ApocalypticRusted Portal Games
Black IronFantasy, Post-ApocalypticFeral Gamers
Broken WeaveFantasy, Post-ApocalypticCubicle 7 Games
Bullets and BleedthroughsFantasy, Modern, Post-ApocalypticOutland Entertainment
DarkEnergyPost-Apocalyptic, Fantasy, Sci-FiEntaglement Interactive
Delta WorldFantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiBlue Crab Party
DrakkenheimFantasy, City, Post-Apocalyptic, Adventure PathGhostfire Gaming
Eldritch Century: Chronicles of the Wounded EarthSci-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic, Horror, ModernDraco Studios
HellscapesSci-Fi, Post-ApocalypticScrivened
Liberty: AFTERPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiJohn Dossinger Publishing
Planet ApocalypsePost-ApocalypticPetersen Games
The Ravaged Wastelands of CrifothFantasy, Post-ApocalypticDice on Ice
The RuinPost-Apocalyptic, ModernFeral Gamers
Wasteland WorldsPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiSpilled Ale Studios

Zardnaar

Legend
There are a bunch of post-apocalyptic setting/world books for D&D 5e from various 3rd party publishers. Granted, they all vary greatly from Fallout's lore, but one of them might click for you.

This is from the list I maintain...

2099 WastelandPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiLegendary Games
Aesyr: TrollbornPost-Apocalyptic, Fantasy, Trollpunk, MicrosettingDaylight Publications
After the CrashPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiLupus Rex Games
Apocalypse the RisenModern, Post-ApocalypticRusted Portal Games
Black IronFantasy, Post-ApocalypticFeral Gamers
Broken WeaveFantasy, Post-ApocalypticCubicle 7 Games
Bullets and BleedthroughsFantasy, Modern, Post-ApocalypticOutland Entertainment
DarkEnergyPost-Apocalyptic, Fantasy, Sci-FiEntaglement Interactive
Delta WorldFantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiBlue Crab Party
DrakkenheimFantasy, City, Post-Apocalyptic, Adventure PathGhostfire Gaming
Eldritch Century: Chronicles of the Wounded EarthSci-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic, Horror, ModernDraco Studios
HellscapesSci-Fi, Post-ApocalypticScrivened
Liberty: AFTERPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiJohn Dossinger Publishing
Planet ApocalypsePost-ApocalypticPetersen Games
The Ravaged Wastelands of CrifothFantasy, Post-ApocalypticDice on Ice
The RuinPost-Apocalyptic, ModernFeral Gamers
Wasteland WorldsPost-Apocalyptic, Sci-FiSpilled Ale Studios

Cheers any recommendations? I recognize 2 or 3 names.

I think the 1980s would shock them tbh. Ymmv of course based on location and individual situation of course.

My school had physical discipline until 1986. Act up get the strap, older boys got the cane.

They wouldn't hurt you feelings they would hurt you 6 of the best.

Actually some of the better behaved ones might find might that refreshing instead of teachers who are afraid because they can't stop students from getting violent, although that might be more of a Generation Alpha problem then Gen Z.

Remove ads