D&D 5E Warcaster and Eldritch Blast

Granville

First Post
When I have the feat Warcaster and the Cantrip Eldritch Blast on my Warlock, what happens when:

An enemy in the adjacent five foot square moves away and provokes an opportunity attack?

Can I attack them with Eldrtich Blast?

If so am I doing it at disadvantage because they are close by?

If I have the invocation that pushes them ten feet away does it push them?

After level 5 do I get two attacks with eldritch blast when an opportunity attack is provoked? If so, can the second attack hit someone else?

After level 5, if I can hit them and the first attack is at disadvantage for them being close, then I push the target away away, is the second attack no longer suffering from disadvantage because the target moved into long range?

Am I just better off taking Shocking Grasp because I'm a Tomelock? Or Shelileigh and Booming/Green Flame blade?

Kithas

First Post
The rules are somewhat unclear. I will tell you what most dms do but you need to clarify with yours because the rai/raw is unclear.
You may use eldritch blast for that opp atk. You will have disadvantage because they are still within 5' when the opp atk happens. If you are level 5+ you MUST use all the blasts on the target of the opp atk. If you have the invocation you will push them on a hit. If you have multiple blasts each to hit roll is done separately so if you push them you will no longer have disadvantage.

As far as shocking grasp or booming blade they may be more reliable as you wont have disadvantage. Also if you booming mlade them and they choose to keep moving they will immediately take the extra damage so it is a big persuader for bad guys to stick close to you. My recommendation would be eb for long range and booming blade/sword burst for aoe instances. If you are looking for one cantrip for both look for one that makes the target make a save ie frostbite, sacred flame. They wont me less effective in melee. If you really want eldritch blast in melee the crossbow expert feat will remove that disadvantage, a whle feat for that is a large cost but it is an option.
Hope that clears it up!

bid

First Post
After level 5 do I get two attacks with eldritch blast when an opportunity attack is provoked? If so, can the second attack hit someone else?
Nope. "must target only that creature."
If your DM interprets this as "can" rather than "will", you might not even be able to use EB for OA.

Am I just better off taking Shocking Grasp because I'm a Tomelock? Or Shelileigh and Booming/Green Flame blade?
Shocking grasp is not much better than just disengage.
GFB might not be allowed for OA because of the 2 targets interpretation.

Shillelagh/BB is the best combo if you have warcaster. 100% RAW, no interpretation required.

Granville

First Post
Nope. "must target only that creature."
If your DM interprets this as "can" rather than "will", you might not even be able to use EB for OA.

Shillelagh/BB is the best combo if you have warcaster. 100% RAW, no interpretation required.

So I have a Wand of the Warmage, which is neither a club nor a quarterstaff (in this case it's a Arcane Focus Orb) so Shillelagh does not work with it. I don't think I can pocket it during an AoO to bust out a Quarterstaf so by RAW does that mean I'm SooL?

I don't think by RAW I can: Fire Eldritch Blast on my turn with Wand of the Warmage, put it the wand away, pull out a Quarterstaff and Bonus action Cast Shillelagh.

Hmmmm...can I walk around with the Wand in one hand and a club in another? If i'm just using the club for Shillelagh mayhem AoO's do I need to even bother with the dual wielding rules? What a mess the SCAG cantrips have made of Warlocks :D

.....Does the +1 from the wand factor into the attacks from Booming Blade? I'm going to guess no.

Last edited:

bid

First Post
Hmmmm...can I walk around with the Wand in one hand and a club in another? If i'm just using the club for Shillelagh mayhem AoO's do I need to even bother with the dual wielding rules? What a mess the SCAG cantrips have made of Warlocks :D
Since you'd rather use the cast a spell action for BB than a basic attack action, TWF doesn't come in.

As for the wand bonus, BB/shillelagh does not use your spell attack roll. Whether it's Str, Dex, Wis or Cha, it still uses your melee attack roll.

Kithas

First Post
So I have a Wand of the Warmage, which is neither a club nor a quarterstaff (in this case it's a Arcane Focus Orb) so Shillelagh does not work with it. I don't think I can pocket it during an AoO to bust out a Quarterstaf so by RAW does that mean I'm SooL?

I don't think by RAW I can: Fire Eldritch Blast on my turn with Wand of the Warmage, put it the wand away, pull out a Quarterstaff and Bonus action Cast Shillelagh.

.....Does the +1 from the wand factor into the attacks from Booming Blade? I'm going to guess no.
The wand isnt a weapon so no issue with a club/staff in your othur hand you actually cannot use the dual wielding rules because ut isnt a weapon. Your hands would be full though so remember that specifically v.s. spells you need a free hand for and since the wand isnt a weapon warcaster doesnt telp you like it normally would. You could also ask your dm if you can mount your orb on a staff. Iirc wand of the warmage will add 1 to your damage but not to your to hit roll on booming blade bc it is using a weapon attack not a spell attack.

pdegan2814

First Post

Shocking Grasp shuts down the target's reaction until the start of its next turn. Using it as an opportunity attack means the target is already moving out of your reach so you'd no longer be threatened by its OA, but it also means everyone else can move around the target freely for a round, in addition to shutting down other uses of a reaction like Counterspell, Cutting Words, Misty Escape, Hellish Rebuke or Uncanny Dodge. Between Shocking Grasp, GFB and BB, each one has their uses and has situations where they might be preferable to the others. Plus Shocking Grasp is VS and doesn't require a weapon, so you can use it in situations where you've been stripped of your gear.

Kithas

First Post
If the wand is an arcane focus, you'll almost never need a another hand.
Unless you are casting specifically v.s. spells. With those you cannot use the material component hand for somatic bc there isnt a material component. Eldritch blast, hellish rebuke, thunderwave, are some relevant examples.

Remove ads