• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warcraft The RPG

gamefreak180

First Post
ok so I will be running sword and sorcery's warcraft/world of warcraft rpg any ideas of campaigns besides burning legion are jerks and want to destroy the world
time line wise this will be right after vanilla but before Burning crusade so that illidan and arthas are still alive and if i wish to use them as plot elements they are still around later on. for the horde players gromash is not going to be warchief well he may if i want to do iron horde or panderia plot, but that would be a bit since the horde or alliance has yet to go to outland

so far the party is two people they are (more could be added and would prefer a story that may include horde characters if need be)
lvl5 warrior lvl1 demon hunter (was a pain to make without dipping into a spellcasting class) night elf
and a
lvl 6 Hunter with a NIghtsaber cat focusing on archery night elf

ZickZak

Explorer
You can literally replay any mission from WC3 of any nation standing on the Alliance side. They encounter the main event and whether they are part of it or doing a side quest to help acomplish the main mission is up to you.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Stemming from what ZickZak mentioned, I've always wanted to do a lord of the rings game instead of having the main characters, give one of them the ring and see what happens. I'd suggest doing something similar. The best possible thing you can do is just set up the pieces to a part of the story, then take out the main characters and have your group in their place. Don't railroad them or anything, just see what they do and where it takes you. Should be really fun I think.

Ketser

First Post
@ ZickZak After Vanilla would place the campaign several years after Warcraft 3's campaign. So just lifting missions from there isn't gping to work.

Having already two night elves, with one being demon hunter, Felwood and the attempts to cleanse the area of corruption and fight the remnants of legion forces or satyrs could be a nice start.

If you seek something less Burning Legion oriented and aren't interested in direct Alliance vs Horde stuff, then there are a bunch or other factions that in one or other way could be problematic in that era.

Twilight Hammer Clan/Cult - They were active already before long before Cataclysm, although less powerful and limited in their plans. Perhaps the characters are sent to investigate why the cultists have been investigating some ruins or other locations. Why have they returned to Blackfathom deeps etc.

The Scourge - Plaguelands is another area for an interesting campaign and the cult of the damned still exists, the majority of Lich King's forces might be rather quiet on the moment, but not inactive. Razorfen Downs is a good example of that some Scourge forces arfe present on Kalimdor, perhaps some other tribe of Quillboars or centaurs or some others have started practicing necromancy.

Syndicate/Venture Company/Scarlet Crusade/Pirates - There are a ton of antagonistic minor factions.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
There is so much ridiculous stuff you can do with Warcraft

Before TBC, let's see what you've got, aside from the obvious two of War of the Shifting Sands Round Two and Scourge Invasion Round One...

Exodar crashing down (This is supposed to have happened a few months prior to TBC happening proper) and the fallout from that
Orc incursions into Ashenvale (Garrosh isn't going to be a thing until Northrend rolls around, given he's on Draenor) that turns into something else once demons get involved
Infinite Dragonflight is always good to drag in
Night Elves set up an outpost in the Wetlands somehow by Cataclysm, and they manage to get the red dragons out of there to the point the Dragonmaw start stealing black dragons and breaking whatever agreement they may have had with the black Dragonflight. Could be worth looking into
Undermine is going to explode come Cataclysm, so this is naturally a prime opportunity to go down there and have just about anything happen

MoutonRustique

Explorer
There are a lot of excellent and very different things to be gained from the WoW setting.

My main suggestion is choosing the kind of game you want. From there, it'll be much easier to pick and choose the elements and sources that are likely to create the kind of game you'll enjoy.

I suggest taking a look at the more involved quest chains and using those as inspiration (I suggest reading the lore entries - not just the "quest text") :
  • Defias Brotherhood (w/o the "Twillight Hammer" link of Cataclysm, it's actually a pretty compelling story : the "bad guy" has some very valid reasons)
  • investigate Shadowfang manor (probably change the name - pretty "on the nose" - hehehe) and have an investigation/horror based game
  • the main chain in Duskwood (again, "horror" type game)
  • the main ones from Redridge can be converted to excellent "frontier fantasy" or a kind of "Battle of the Arch-mages" where they use the characters and gnolls and orcs as their proxies
  • some excellent "emotional turmoil" with "lost magic/wonders" tone adventures can be had by using the Darkshore quest lines - with follow ups from Ashenvale and Feralas or Fellwood (for a more demon/corruption vibe)
  • (same zones as above + Desolace (old version)) can host great stories about the Elves and the Nagas : either conflict or attempts at reconciliation (or both!), or simple lost-treasure hunting
  • if you want a more "against the Horde" thing, the "East" Ashenvale stuff is pretty good
  • the "dwarven zones" have excellent stories : politics, espionage, archeology with origin stories and treasure hunts, straight-up monster bash, cultits (+demons, of course)
  • "dwarven zones pt.2" - you could use Blackrock Spire : so much good stuff in there! Strongholds lost to orcs, "evil" dwarves, dragons(!), elemental lords and more!

Once you get past ~50 it starts to get pretty "Epic" in scope, but before that, there are plenty of very interesting stories to be gleaned.

The most important advice I could give would be this :
Do NOT translate WoW levels into D&D levels. DO NOT. Take the feel and use it where you think it's right.

If you try and translate by level, you'll get some very strange results that will strain (or outright break) credulity - massive and powerful foes that are level 4 vs rank-and-file "not that impressive" at level 17...

Add on:
If you have the WoW Monster Book, there are plenty of examples of the above - but on the whole, it's still a cool resource with plenty of nice stuff in there.

Last edited:

gamefreak180

First Post
There is so much ridiculous stuff you can do with Warcraft

Before TBC, let's see what you've got, aside from the obvious two of War of the Shifting Sands Round Two and Scourge Invasion Round One...

Exodar crashing down (This is supposed to have happened a few months prior to TBC happening proper) and the fallout from that
Orc incursions into Ashenvale (Garrosh isn't going to be a thing until Northrend rolls around, given he's on Draenor) that turns into something else once demons get involved
Infinite Dragonflight is always good to drag in
Night Elves set up an outpost in the Wetlands somehow by Cataclysm, and they manage to get the red dragons out of there to the point the Dragonmaw start stealing black dragons and breaking whatever agreement they may have had with the black Dragonflight. Could be worth looking into
Undermine is going to explode come Cataclysm, so this is naturally a prime opportunity to go down there and have just about anything happen

the exodar is a good idea especially given that i found a decent homebrew for the draenei and also given that they are an off branch of eredar there would be alot of mistrust at first given the night elves experience with the burning legion.

There are a lot of excellent and very different things to be gained from the WoW setting.

My main suggestion is choosing the kind of game you want. From there, it'll be much easier to pick and choose the elements and sources that are likely to create the kind of game you'll enjoy.

I suggest taking a look at the more involved quest chains and using those as inspiration (I suggest reading the lore entries - not just the "quest text") :
  • Defias Brotherhood (w/o the "Twillight Hammer" link of Cataclysm, it's actually a pretty compelling story : the "bad guy" has some very valid reasons)
  • investigate Shadowfang manor (probably change the name - pretty "on the nose" - hehehe) and have an investigation/horror based game
  • the main chain in Duskwood (again, "horror" type game)
  • the main ones from Redridge can be converted to excellent "frontier fantasy" or a kind of "Battle of the Arch-mages" where they use the characters and gnolls and orcs as their proxies
  • some excellent "emotional turmoil" with "lost magic/wonders" tone adventures can be had by using the Darkshore quest lines - with follow ups from Ashenvale and Feralas or Fellwood (for a more demon/corruption vibe)
  • (same zones as above + Desolace (old version)) can host great stories about the Elves and the Nagas : either conflict or attempts at reconciliation (or both!), or simple lost-treasure hunting
  • if you want a more "against the Horde" thing, the "East" Ashenvale stuff is pretty good
  • the "dwarven zones" have excellent stories : politics, espionage, archeology with origin stories and treasure hunts, straight-up monster bash, cultits (+demons, of course)
  • "dwarven zones pt.2" - you could use Blackrock Spire : so much good stuff in there! Strongholds lost to orcs, "evil" dwarves, dragons(!), elemental lords and more!

Once you get past ~50 it starts to get pretty "Epic" in scope, but before that, there are plenty of very interesting stories to be gleaned.

The most important advice I could give would be this :
Do NOT translate WoW levels into D&D levels. DO NOT. Take the feel and use it where you think it's right.

If you try and translate by level, you'll get some very strange results that will strain (or outright break) credulity - massive and powerful foes that are level 4 vs rank-and-file "not that impressive" at level 17...

Add on:
If you have the WoW Monster Book, there are plenty of examples of the above - but on the whole, it's still a cool resource with plenty of nice stuff in there.

i have access to every wow/warcraft rpg books so that does help however while i know the larger plots and schisms i do not know the smaller ones what would be a good resource to read about them besides the wikis

now as far as type of campaign the ones we really like are either merc campaigns, ones dealing with a big bad guy theme (burning legion, cult of the damned), large scale war with main characters fighting skirmishes to weaken the enemy (horde vs alliance), also where combat and the scenarios help tell the story on top of rp sections. also outland might be fun to play. due to the rich and varried stories in the setting it may be hard to just pick only one to focus on

granted the villains i want us to fight are like cr37 (illidan) and cr 50 (arthas) seems very unlikely for us to go toe to toe even at their level.

as a side note considering not every metal/material is included any ideas to supplement them such as saronite (thinking a rift on true silver) and the naruu crystal weapons ( light forge iron and/or thormium.) i am more concerned about pre cata metals/ materials. while i am willing to make new abilities for the metals/materials in the book i do wonder if some of them like the two i mentioned could be used by re skinning or combining other materials'/metals' abilities

MoutonRustique

Explorer
For the varying metals, I'd look to things like Eberron : there were a bunch of new materials - just switch the names :)

Other than that - I guess you guys have some soul-searching ahead :p

gamefreak180

First Post
For the varying metals, I'd look to things like Eberron : there were a bunch of new materials - just switch the names :)

Other than that - I guess you guys have some soul-searching ahead :p

not sure what you mean by the soul searching. but as far as the materials are concerned is there a specific book?

Remove ads