Warlock - Dragon Pact

Khaalis

Adventurer
Anyone is encouraged to make new pacts. I think the fact that we only have 3 is too limited (I'm hoping the Arcane splatbook will fix this). I have cobbled together powers for all levels from existing sources in the PHB and I'll try to post them soon, probably Monday (I'm quite swamped with RL issues at the moment).

I am hoping though, that others contribute to this as well and make it a joint ENWorld project that we can get finalized to the majority's liking, slap into PDF, and have a nice source for any who wish to use it.

Revinor

First Post
Lightning: Dazes until the end of your next turn.

Infinite CA for your friend rogue.

Do you know about ANY other at-will power which provides CA for other players? I don't think so - lightning effect is completely overpowered for at-will. To get same effect, rogue has to use 1[W] encounter power (so instead of 2[W] he gets only 1[W] on _encounter_ melee power to do exactly what you propose for ranged at-will).

I think that similar thing goes for acid - permanent weaken is quite powerful ability.

+Int damage is in line with some other abilities - quite powerful for ranged attack, but probably acceptable.

Poison - 5 ongoing for next round is bit of oxymoron. Why just not deal 5 more damage when power hits and forget about keeping track of it, just in very, very unlikely case that ally of monster will manage to dispel poison from him (if it is possible at all). If you look at it this way, it is just +Int damage, with assumptions that Int gives 5 bonus.

Cold slow seems to be most balanced of all powers and fitting with ranged power quite nicely.

1013dragon

First Post
Githyanki

This reminds me of the pact that the Githyanki made with Tiamat. Perhaps you could pull from elements of that story to help generate powers for this build option. Great work everyone! We are making conversion from 3.5 to 4th a faster transition.

Khaalis

Adventurer
This reminds me of the pact that the Githyanki made with Tiamat. Perhaps you could pull from elements of that story to help generate powers for this build option. Great work everyone! We are making conversion from 3.5 to 4th a faster transition.

I'm not entirely familiar with this. What source does this come from?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Infinite CA for your friend rogue. {snip}
+Int damage is in line with some other abilities - quite powerful for ranged attack, but probably acceptable.
Good call on Combat Advantage.

So lets look more closely at existing power effects that could transport.

1) Base Damage + Secondary Stat (INT)
2) Base Damage to target and one adjacent enemy
3) Base Damage + slow
4) Base Damage + a -2 penalty to attack rolls until end next turn
5) Base Damage + move target Secondary stat squares

Base Damage = 1 Die + Primary stat (CHA or CON)

Poison - 5 ongoing for next round is bit of oxymoron. Why just not deal 5 more damage when power hits and forget about keeping track of it, just in very, very unlikely case that ally of monster will manage to dispel poison from him (if it is possible at all). If you look at it this way, it is just +Int damage, with assumptions that Int gives 5 bonus.
Also a good catch.

So, we could make the following changes:

Acid: Push the target a number of squares equal to your CHA modifier.
Cold: Slowed until the end of your next turn.
Fire: Add your Intelligence modifier to the damage roll (minimum +1).
Lightning: An enemy adjacent to the target takes damage equal to your CON or CHA modifier.
Poison: Target suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls until end next turn.

Is that better?

Revinor

First Post
Last proposal looks quite balanced.

I only don't understand how you will explain Acid ability fluff-wise? Acid is probably one of the last damage types I would expect to move people around...

Maybe swap lightning and acid? While damage do adjacent fits lightning very well, push is probably also acceptable there (more in direction of thunder effect). Acid could then splash to one adjacent foe.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Last proposal looks quite balanced.

I only don't understand how you will explain Acid ability fluff-wise? Acid is probably one of the last damage types I would expect to move people around...

Maybe swap lightning and acid? While damage do adjacent fits lightning very well, push is probably also acceptable there (more in direction of thunder effect). Acid could then splash to one adjacent foe.

It could go either way really. How would you react if you were splashed by acid? You aren't going to stand still. However, when you think about it, you wouldn't really stand still hit by fire either. The acid fluff would be something along the lines of:
"You hurl forth a ball of pure draconic energy. Acid energy makes your enemy instinctively shrink back from you."

However, the logic behind your suggestion is solid as well.

What would you think of the following instead of a push?
Acid: Target suffers a -2 penalty to AC and Reflex defenses until end next turn.

Cabral

First Post
I would make the lightning push the target and the Acid either deal more damage or maybe reduce AC until the end of your next turn. (edit: I need to hit refresh beore posting :p)

By the way, since several races get an ecounter power and half-elves get a class's at-will power as an encounter power, I suspect the Dragonborn's Dragonbreath is a good benchmark.

Another important consideration is that this adds powers to the other warlocks. Have you considered adding a Dragon Pact boon effect to Eldritch Blast?

Last edited:

Khaalis

Adventurer
I would make the lightning push the target and the Acid either deal more damage or maybe reduce AC until the end of your next turn. (edit: I need to hit refresh beore posting :p)
Glad to see someone else had a similar idea here. I think the AC debuff will work well.

Another important consideration is that this adds powers to the other warlocks. Have you considered adding a Dragon Pact boon effect to Eldritch Blast?

Not as part of the power itself. All of the warlock pacts share the same EB power. However, I do have this feat on the drawing table.

Heroic Tier Feat

DRACONIC BLAST [Warlock, Dragon]
Prerequisites: Warlock (dragon)
Benefit: As a free action, you may substitute your draconic pact damage type for the un-typed damage of your eldritch blast at-will power.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Update 30Jun08

Here is a complete rough draft recompile of where I am at with the Dragon Pact for warlocks. Thanks for all of the input so far. I hope we can continue the project and come up with a complete warlock pact.

WARLOCK CLASS FEATURES

ELDRITCH PACT – DRAGON
You have forged a pact with a chromatic or metallic dragon lord. Some are benevolent and caring spirits, while others are cruel and capricious. They bestow powers that are elemental in nature, but remember … it’s never safe to deal with a dragon.

Choose a damage type from the following choices: acid, cold, fire, lightning or poison. This is the type of damage your dragon pact grants for your powers. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and does not change a dragon pact power’s other effects.

Energy Burst: You known the energy burst at-will spell.

Draconic Wrath: You have the Draconic Wrath pact boon. Your curse feeds off the demise of a cursed enemy empowering your future attacks.

When an enemy under your Warlock’s Curse is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer by any effect other than Draconic Wrath, all enemies adjacent to it take damage of your dragon pact’s energy type equal to 3 + ½ your level as your foe explodes from your draconic energy.

DRAGON PACT WARLOCK POWERS

Level 1 At-Will Spells

ENERGY BOLT -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 1
You hurl forth a ball of pure draconic energy.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Implement and Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Standard Action – Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type plus see Special (below).
  • Increase damage to 2d6 + Charisma or Constitution modifier at 21st level.
Special: On a successful hit, you also add the following effect based on your dragon pact’s energy type.
  • Acid: The target suffers a -2 penalty to AC and Reflex defenses until the end of your next turn.
  • Cold: Slowed until the end of your next turn.
  • Fire: Add your Intelligence modifier to the damage roll (minimum +1).
  • Lightning: An enemy adjacent to the target takes damage equal to your Charisma or Constitution modifier.
  • Poison: The target suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Level 1 Encounter Exploits

FRIGHTFUL BLAST -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 1
You hurl forth a blast of energy that instills fear that unbalances your foe.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fear, Implement and Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Standard Action – Ranged
Hit: 2d8 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type, and the target. Until the end of your next turn, the target takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls.
  • Dragon Pact: The penalty to attack rolls is equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Level 1 Daily Exploits

DRAGON CLOAK -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 1
You surround yourself in a sheath of draconic energy that protects you and damages others.
Daily ✦ Arcane and Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Standard Action – Personal
Effect:
You gain a +1 power bonus to all defenses and your spells deal an additional +5 damage until the end of the encounter.

Level 2 Utility Exploits

GLIDE -- Warlock (Dragon) Utility 2
You begin to tap the dragon’s innate ability of magical flight manifesting spectral wings that allow you to glide gently to the ground from a height.
Encounter ✦ Arcane
Free Action -- Personal
Trigger:
You fall
Effect: You take no damage from the fall, regardless of its distance, and do not fall prone at the end of the fall.

Level 3 Encounter Exploits

DRAGON’S BREATH --Warlock (Dragon) Attack 3
You breath forth a gout of energy then slip away in the confusion.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Implement and Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Standard Action – Close
blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: You shift 2 squares.
  • Dragon Pact: You shift a number of squares equal to 2 + your Intelligence modifier.

Level 5 Daily Exploits

WRATH OF THE DRAGON -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 5
You focus your wrath upon a single foe engulfing them in a massive column of energy.
Standard Action – Ranged
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. AC
Hit: 2d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type.
Miss: Half damage.
Sustain Minor: The target and any enemies adjacent to it take 1d10 damage (save ends).

Level 6 Utility Exploits

HOVER -- Warlock (Dragon) Utility 6
You can float up into the air and hover there.
Daily ✦ Arcane
Move Action -- Personal
Effect:
You can move 4 squares vertically and remain there, hovering above the ground. While aloft, you are unsteady, taking a –2 penalty to AC and Reflex defense. If some effect, such as a pit opening below you, causes you to be more than 4 squares above the ground, you drop down to 4 squares above the ground. You do not take damage from such a fall.
Sustain Move: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. When you sustain this power, you can move 3 squares up or down or 1 square horizontally. You cannot go higher than 4 squares above the ground. If you don’t sustain the power, you descend to the ground without taking falling damage.

Level 7 Encounter Exploits

FRIGHTFUL PRESENCE -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 7
Your gaze unleashes the power of your draconic person, instilling fear in your foes.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fear, Implement
Standard Action – Close
blast 3
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Will
Hit: 2d8 + Charisma or Constitution modifier psychic damage, and the target is stunned until the end of your next turn.
  • Dragon Pact: The target take a penalty to attack rolls equal to your Intelligence modifier (save ends).

Level 9 Daily Exploits

PARALYZING CONFLAGRATION -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 5
You hurl forth a paralyzing burst of energy.
Standard Action – Area
burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type, and the target takes ongoing 5 damage and is immobilized (save ends both).
Miss: Half damage, and the target does not take ongoing damage and is not immobilized.

Level 10 Utility Exploits

DRACONIC RESISTANCE -- Warlock (Dragon) Utility 10
You call upon your draconic path to make you resistance to a draconic energy type.
Encounter ✦ Arcane
Minor Action -- Personal
Effect:
Against the chosen energy type, you gain resistance equal to your level + your Charisma or Constitution modifier until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. Choose the damage type from the following list: acid, cold, fire, lightning or poison.

Level 13 Encounter Exploits

TAIL SLAP -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 13
Your call forth a whip of force that acts much like a dragon’s tail, slapping a foe and forcing them.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action – Ranged
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier force damage, and you push the target 2 squares.
  • Dragon Pact: You push the target a number of squares equal to 2 + your Intelligence modifier.

Level 15 Daily Exploits

ENERGY BLAST -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 15
You create a tremendous blast of draconic energy.
Standard Action – Close
blast 5
Hit: 4d6 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type, and see Special (below).
Special: On a successful hit, you also add the following effect based on your dragon pact’s energy type.
  • Acid: Slowed and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends both).
  • Cold: Immobilized and ongoing 5 cold damage (save ends both).
  • Fire: Dazed and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
  • Lightning: Blinded and ongoing 5 lightning damage (save ends both).
  • Poison: Weakened and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).

Level 16 Utility Exploits

FLIGHT -- Warlock (Dragon) Utility 16
You master the dragon’s arcane knowledge of flight.
Daily ✦ Arcane
Standard Action -- Personal
Effect:
You gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: You can sustain this power until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes. If you don’t sustain it, you float to the ground without taking falling damage.

Level 17 Encounter Exploits

DEVASTATING FRIGHT -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 17
You call upon all the wrath of your draconic pact to make an enemy so terrified they doom themselves.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fear, Implement
Standard Action – Ranged
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Will
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier psychic damage, and the target gains vulnerability 10 to all attacks until the end of your next turn.
  • Dragon Pact: The vulnerability increases to 10 + your Intelligence modifier.

Level 19 Daily Exploits

WRATHFUL RETRIBUTION -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 19
You call forth a cloak of power that damages anyone foolish enough to approach you.
Standard Action – Close
burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Hit: 3d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type.
Effect: Until the start of your next turn, adjacent enemies are subject to a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: Any creature that moves adjacent to you or starts its turn adjacent to you.
Secondary Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type.

Level 22 Utility Exploits

DRAGONSCALE -- Warlock (Dragon) Utility 22
Your skin becomes as tough as a dragon’s scales.
Daily ✦ Arcane
Standard Action -- Personal
Effect:
You gain resist 10 to all damage until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes.
  • Dragon Pact: You gain resist to all damage equal to 10 + your Intelligence modifier.

Level 23 Encounter Exploits

DRAGON’S ROAR -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 23
You below forth a roar so loud it knocks foes off their feat.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Implement, Thunder
Standard Action – Close
blast 3
Hit: 3d6 + Charisma or Constitution modifier thunder damage, and you push the target 1 squares and it is knocked prone.
  • Dragon Pact: You push the target a number of squares equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier.

Level 25 Daily Exploits

ENERGY STRIKE -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 25
You create a tremendous blast of draconic energy.
Standard Action – Ranged
Hit: 4d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type, and see Special (below).
  • Acid: Slowed and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends both).
  • Cold: Immobilized and ongoing 5 cold damage (save ends both).
  • Fire: Dazed and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
  • Lightning: Blinded and ongoing 5 lightning damage (save ends both).
  • Poison: Weakened and ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target doesn’t suffer ongoing damage, but does suffer the other effect.

Level 27 Encounter Exploits

DRAGON’S CURSE -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 23
You hurl the force your power at the foe breaking their resolve.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Implement
Standard Action – Ranged
Attack:/b] Charisma or Constitution vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type, and until the end of your next turn, you can choose an effect currently on the target. The target fails its next saving throw against that effect.
  • Dragon Pact: You gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Level 29 Daily Exploits

DRACONIC INVINCIBILITY -- Warlock (Dragon) Attack 29
You throw everything you have at your foe, becoming emboldened, and strengthened by the attack.
Standard Action – Ranged
Hit: 6d10 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type.
Effect: You gain a +4 power bonus to all defenses and resist 5 + your Intelligence modifier to all damage until the end of your next turn.
Sustain Minor: The effect continues.

Again, this is a rough draft. I'm looking for possible overpowers, broken combo's better thematic ties, etc. Comments welcome.

Remove ads