Warlock - Dragon Pact

Khaalis

Adventurer
PARAGON PATH

DRAGONPACT ADEPT

“Let go of your rules and your formulas and let the magic flow as the dragon does.”

Prerequisites: Warlock class, Dragon pact

Dragonpact adepts are warlocks who have learned to transcend their beliefs about spells and magic and embrace arcane power as dragons do. They focus their innate connection to magic, becoming more like dragons in the way they use their arcane power.

Dragonpact Adept Path Features

Dragoncast (11th level): Once per day, you can channel magical energy in much the same way that dragons do, allowing you to recharge a spell you have already used so that you can use it again. Make a Charisma or Constitution check (use the ability you chose for using your dragon pact spells). The result indicates the kind of spell you can recharge. You can instead choose to recharge a power of lower result than the result you rolled.
1-10: Encounter utility spell.
11-15: Encounter attack spell.
16-20: Daily utility spell.
21 or higher: Daily attack spell.

Dragonpact Adept Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you also gain a +4 bonus to attack rolls until the start of your next turn.

Bloodied Reaction (16th level): When you first become bloodied in an encounter, you can use any at-will power you know as an immediate reaction.

Dragonpact Adept Spells

Instinctual Strike -- Dragonpact Adept Attack 11
You strike with a dragon’s eye, seeking to take down your foe as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Implement
Standard Action -- Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. AC
Hit: 3d8 Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type.
Special: If this attack is made before the target has acted in the encounter, increase the damage to 4d8.

Dragon’s Revenge -- Dragonpact Adept Utility 12
The first time an enemy attacks you, they discover what a bad idea that is.
Daily ✦ Arcane
Immediate Interrupt -- Personal
Trigger:
An enemy makes a melee or ranged attack against you for the first time during this encounter
Special: If you are granting combat advantage, you cannot use this power.
Effect: Gain a +10 power bonus to all defenses against the enemy’s attack. If the attack misses, the enemy takes double your Charisma or Constitution modifier of your dragon pact’s energy type.

Predator’s Curse -- Dragonpact Adept Attack 20
You specify a specific target as your prey.
Daily ✦ Arcane, Implement
Standard Action -- Range
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma or Constitution vs. AC
Hit: 4d8 + Charisma or Constitution modifier damage of your dragon pact’s energy type.
Effect: The target is designated under your warlock’s curse until the end of the encounter, and you can designate one additional creature as cursed following the normal warlock’s curse rules.

FEAT

Draconic Blast [Warlock, Heroic]
Prerequisites: Warlock (dragon)
Benefit: As a free action, you may substitute your draconic pact damage type for the un-typed damage of your eldritch blast at-will power.

Last edited:

arscott

First Post
I've mostly just run first level games, so I'll confine my observations to those powers:

Your powers are all Con or Cha to attack and damage. That's a bit overpowered. The Fey powers are all Cha only, the Infernal powers are all Con only, and the Star powers are all either one or the other. The only place you get to chose is with Eldritch Blast.

In General, Debuffs are cha based, while high-damage powers are con based. You might also lean towards Cha-based if you want this pact to work well with dragonborn.

All three of the Pact-based at-wills in the PHB have something in common--They punish the target for trying to attack the warlock. While the effects of energy bolt are balances for an at-will power, they don't accomplish that goal.

Frightful Blast is basically the exact same thing as witchfire. What about a penalty to some other stat, such as AC

Dragon Cloak probably shouldn't have the Energy Keywords, but other than that it seems pretty nice.

All in all, I love the concept, and you've inspired me to create my own Warlock Paragon Path.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Thanks for pointing me to this thread, Khaalis. I like the idea of your pact and I'm bookmarking it for a try-out. I wanna see how the default warlock plays first to better gauge the level of powers and such, but this one fits pretty well what I'd been looking for for my dragonborn warlock so it'll get tested out.

Remove ads