• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock, levels 1,10,20

Diirk

First Post
Personally I think the warlock's curse should be limited to once per target per round rather than once per target; and yeah the warlock's damage does seem kinda low, altho I'm not sure if thats just at certain levels... it feels a lot more 'controller', except without the large area effects.

As an example, the lvl 7 encounter powers for the warlock do at most 2d8 + con + int + immobilise to a single target (+curse of 1d6). Whereas the lvl 7 wizard encounter powers do around 3d6 + int. Which admittedly is probably slightly lower on a single target... but the wizard powers are all bursts or other multitargetting.

Warlock damage seems to go up very slowly as well... the lvl 13 encounter powers don't seem to do any more damage than the lvl 3 encounter powers (soul flaying vs fiery bolt). Warlocks seem to have a distinct lack of "just do damage" powers, most of them are damage + effect and do correspondingly less damage. Even the supposed high damage infernal powers.

Imo, fey should have mostly damage + effect, star should have a decent mix and infernal should have mostly pure damage (and some lesser damage lifetappy type things).

And the lack of damage reduction to weapons in the games seems very odd; its almost a given from d&d that tough monsters shrug off blows to an extent...

ShockMeSane

First Post
For the Star Pact warlock, I think you are gimping yourself pretty significantly by not taking armor training up to Scale. Requires 13 str and 3 feats, but seeing as your INT/DEX bonus is going to be very mediocre, that character will get hit by nearly 100% of all AC based attacks. Even with an 18 INT (much too high imo, 14-16 is fine and you'd be better served raising your attack modifying stats) Scale is what... +3 AC at the second armor tier, and +5 at the third.

Just my two cents.

kanimara

First Post
ShockMeSane may be correct,

I might go with the following:

Level 1 Human Warlock

STR 13 +1 HP 30; BLOODIED 15
CON 18 +4 SURGE 8 PER DAY 12
DEX 10 +0 AC 17; FORT 15, REF 13, WILL 13
INT 14 +2 INIT 0; SPEED 5
WIS 8 -1
CHA 14 +2

Feats: Chain Armor, Scale Armor
(Next feats would be human perseverance, light shield to make AC 18, FORT 16, REF 15, WILL 14)

Last edited:

Cale13

First Post
My Warlock

Damakos Manas Apatori the Find Slayer

Human Warlock 1lvl

str 16 +3
dex 10 +0
con 16 +3
wis 10 +0
int 11 +0
cha 14 +2