• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock or Wizard

Drew

Explorer
All this talk of damage optimization vs "mobs" makes my head hurt. Which character do you want to play? I'm currently running a warlock because I thought that the Starpact option had a very cool, Cthulhu-esque feel to it. Am I nuts? Have I become some kind of "story gamer", because I sure don't feel like one.

I like doing damage and kicking butt and everything, but shouldn't party role take a backseat to character appeal? If you want a spellcaster who gains powers from mysterious natural powers/infernal powers/forgotten gods from the cold void of space, go with a warlock. If you want a traditional, bearded spellcaster in a pointy hat, wizard is your best bet.

Am I crazy? Should I start painting my nails black and LARPing? And what the Asmodeus is a mob?

Revinor

First Post
Am I crazy? Should I start painting my nails black and LARPing? And what the Asmodeus is a mob?

OP asked about damage and versatility. It is something we can help him with. I don't suppose he needs a lot of help on deciding if he wants to have a pointy hat or farts smelling like infernal sulfur.

No I don't think you are crazy. I personally hate halflings and tieflings, so I will not play one regardless if it is best for the class I'm choosing. But I'll also not join as a third wizard to the party of four even if I enjoy playing wizards. There is a lot of interesting options in 4e and I think that optimizing at least a bit for the party good will make game a lot better finally, both in combat and RP areas.

Verys Arkon

First Post
I think Drew is right, working backwards from personality to class might result in a character you'll enjoy playing more. But there is something to be said for party balance.

Something else to keep in mind: the size of your group will (partially) determine the XP budget your DM has to work with for balancing encounters. Fewer players means, on average, fewer monsters in the fight. That makes the controller's role less significant I believe. Now, nothing saying your DM isn't going to hurl a mass of minions at you from time to time! I just noticed as I was scaling back KotS for three players I found myself struggling to keep the intent of the encounter with fewer monsters to work with. I could replace one normal monster ("mob") with 4 minions, but then I was weakening the 'wall' that was meant to protect the controllers or artillery from the PCs.

The other strategy a DM could take would be to level down monsters instead of reducing the number of them to keep within the encounter's XP budget. You know your DM best: is he likely to reduce the numbers of critters or level them back individually? If you are going to face fewer creatures, I think the Warlock is advantageous. If you are part of a large group, you'll likely face more monsters, so the controller Wizard is more advantageous.

My opinion, of course.
Verys Arkon

Goumindong

First Post

C.

Both the Warlock and Wizard are arcane power sources. Both easily fit into the same character concepts.

Furthermore, personality has nothing to do with class. Just because you are bold and brash does not mean you have to be a fighter. Nor do fighters have to be bold and brash. Class determines only your abilities and so is a determination only when asking the question "how do i want to fight?"

The OP probably has a basic idea that says "I want to play a guy who throws spells around" then looked at the warlock and wizard and said, "these are the two guys who throw the most spells around". Then he came to these boards to ask the question "what kind of spells do these guys throw around?". He wants to throw spells around, and he wants to know enough about the classes so that when he choses his class, he will be throwing the spells around that he wants to throw around.

Fake edit: Actually the OP explicitly states he wants to play a "caster type" and simply wants to know which "caster type" is better for what he wants to do "damage and versatility". Ergo we are answering the legitimate character question, the Warlock is better for damage and the Wizard is slightly better for versatility. The Warlock is more brute force, the wizard is more finesse(with spurts of brute force)

Another reply to the OP:

I would say, going over the thread again, that you should make a warlock, and then take the feat "ritual caster". As you progress, buy rituals you think you will want and these will be your versatility, making the cantrip difference for a wizard fairly marginal.

Drew

Explorer
Fair enough. The original poster did ask for help from a mechanical standpoint. Thus, that's what he received. I just think (as someone above touched on) that playing a character you find appealing for non-crunchy reasons probably leads to a character you'll enjoy more in the long term.

Obviously, party composition is important...to a point. But worrying about whether I'm a "controller" and you're a "striker" seems to go beyond the (obviously) foolish idea of putting three wizards in a party of four. If you know you want to play a spellcaster, and you can't decide between wizard and warlock, I'd advice the OP to choose the one that he thinks sounds cooler. Not which one better fits his party build.

I guess in my book, concept > mechanics.

To keep things on task, I'd advise a warlock. I'm playing one currently and having a lot of fun. I seem to be a pretty heavy damager, I get to run around the battlefield quite a bit, and I've got a neat little H.P. Lovecraft vibe going. Good luck, whatever you choose.

Goumindong

First Post
I guess in my book, concept > mechanics.

NO NO NO NO NO!.

Concept drives mechanics. The mechanics are there to fit your concept, choose the best mechanics that fit your concept. There is no dichotomy between the two.

Players and Characters both have reason to be the best they can be. So you say "this is my concept" and then you use the mechanics that can make your concept be as good as possible.

Remove ads