D&D (2024) Warlock spell poll.

Warlock should have...

• Full caster, same spell level as wizards or sorcerers, just with funky slots.

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • Half caster, a mix of invocations and slots.

Votes: 50 51.5%
  • Not a caster, no spell slots, only invocations like 3e.

Votes: 15 15.5%

mellored

Legend
Lots of options out there, but let's try and get a count.

Let's not get into balance issues at the moment. The exact number of slots <-> invocations can be adjusted, just assume it's a fair trade for now.

Also, here is a quote from the 3e warlock.

A warlock does not prepare or cast spells as other wielders of arcane magic do. Instead, he possesses a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations that require him to focus the wild energy that suffuses his soul. A warlock can use any invocation he knows at will.

Auramancer

Explorer
I’m pretty good with the half caster plus mystic arcanum for higher slots. Wasn’t into exploiting the short rest slot recovery. Doesn’t feel like any sort of nerf when viewed from a daily, long rest perspective.

Aldarc

Legend
I’m pretty good with the half caster plus mystic arcanum for higher slots. Wasn’t into exploiting the short rest slot recovery. Doesn’t feel like any sort of nerf when viewed from a daily, long rest perspective.
Look up optimization channels like Treantmonk. A big part of spell casting isn't just what spells you get or how high your spells go but also when you get them, and getting your 3rd level spells at 9th level (as per a half-caster) instead of 5th level (as per a full-caster) is a pretty big nerf.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I think, rather than going with a 1/2 caster progression, they should just lop off the 6-9 half of the full caster progression:

1682793451663.png
1682793519534.png

You'd still get up to 5th level spells, with the option of 6th-9th from mystic Arcanum, but you'd get them much sooner.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
With how many spells levels worth?

Same as the wizard? Or same as the artificer?
I mean, as we’ve seen in the “better Pact Magic solutions” thread, it’s hard to make a 1:1 comparison because of differences in the resource structures. But, I guess more like a wizard? They should get access to new levels of spells at the same rate wizards do, at least.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Voted for invocations only, although I think that should be paired with a Mystic Arcanum type invocation that allows for spell level access at the full caster rate. (Be able to get 3rd level spells by 5th, and 9th level spells by 17th.)

Remove ads