• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Warlock spell poll.

Warlock should have...

• Full caster, same spell level as wizards or sorcerers, just with funky slots.

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • Half caster, a mix of invocations and slots.

Votes: 50 51.5%
  • Not a caster, no spell slots, only invocations like 3e.

Votes: 15 15.5%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I went with the second option (half caster mix of invocations & slots) but would take the third one (3.5 style not a caster no spell slots invocations only). The deciding factor was that the 3.5 style one depended on factors no longer present that I have zero expectation of seeing like the 2/3 BaB it had. Other differences are things like the fragility of casters stacked against the much higher HD & armor capabilities of the base warlock that get into wide ranging system differences.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd prefer the 3e approach.

Some Invocations could allow a 1/day casting of a spell, but the class should focus on spell like abilities.

Eldritch blast scaling like Sneak Attack against creatures targeted by Hex instead of multi-attack.

Invocations could change the damage type or shape of Eldritch blast (Eldritch Miasma, Eldritch Sphere etc)

Then add cool mystical/weird features such as shadow jump, contact patron, a feature that modify your Boon choice depending on you patron (a Fiend patron gives you a special pact weapon, or familiar or ritual list)

Auramancer

Explorer
Look up optimization channels like Treantmonk. A big part of spell casting isn't just what spells you get or how high your spells go but also when you get them, and getting your 3rd level spells at 9th level (as per a half-caster) instead of 5th level (as per a full-caster) is a pretty big nerf.
I get that, but think that spell level access is still there via Mystic Arcanum. Really, start by comparing vs other half-casters and acknowledge that high level spells are available if you want.

Aldarc

Legend
I get that, but think that spell level access is still there via Mystic Arcanum. Really, start by comparing vs other half-casters and acknowledge that high level spells are available if you want.
I think we should start by comparing them to pre-existing Warlocks. (1) The Mystic Arcana now require an Invocation tax. (2) Spellcasting spell access is significantly delayed, particularly in the most play levels, as they went from being de facto full-casters to half-casters. When I talk about spell level access, I am talking about the levels at which they gain access to their spells. A 7th level Warlock went from being able to cast 4th level spells to casting 2nd level spells. That's a much bigger deal than I think that you realize.

I think, just removing the invocation tax and adding a 2nd level mystic arcanum would go a long way to mame thw warlock cool. Probably their mytic arcaenum slots should stay at 4 of them max. So when thwy naturally reach the level if their arcanum it ahould upgrade to the higher one.

So
arcanum 2nd level at warlock 3
Upgrades to 3 at warlock 5
New arcarnum at seven.
The 3rd level spell updates to 5th level arcarnum at warlock 9 and so on.

Remove ads