D&D (2024) Warlock spell poll.

Warlock should have...

• Full caster, same spell level as wizards or sorcerers, just with funky slots.

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • Half caster, a mix of invocations and slots.

Votes: 50 51.5%
  • Not a caster, no spell slots, only invocations like 3e.

Votes: 15 15.5%

Remathilis

Legend
I'm of the strongly held belief that the Warlock, Bard, Artificer, and probably Sorcerer should all have their own casting systems. And that OneD&D playing it so safe is to its detriment.

I'm of two minds on this. I remember 3e where there were a bunch of different types of magic (spells, psionics, incarnum, maneuvers, etc) each with different rules, effects, interactions and such. It was impossible to keep straight what PCs could do and attempting to use the systems for NPCs was a nightmare. On the other hand, I disliked how 4e used ADEU to represent everything and how every effect that wasn't a utility or ritual was an attack with damage plus rider. I get both sides.

I just think that warlock being the outlier made more sense when other outliers (like Mystic) were being considered. Given that I don't feel WotC has the stomach for it now, perhaps putting warlock back into spellcasting with the others isn't such a bad play.

Remove ads