D&D (2024) Warlock spell poll.

Warlock should have...

• Full caster, same spell level as wizards or sorcerers, just with funky slots.

Votes: 32 33.0%
  • Half caster, a mix of invocations and slots.

Votes: 50 51.5%
  • Not a caster, no spell slots, only invocations like 3e.

Votes: 15 15.5%

ChameleonX

Explorer
2014 Pact Magic, 2014 Mystic Arcanum, with one extra spell slot (so 5 total), and all Pact Magic spell slots recharge after a 1 minute ritual you can do twice per long rest.

Letting the Warlock recharge their slots when they want to instead of having to wait for the party to rest literally solves all of the issues of Pact Magic without gutting it's core mechanics and turning it into just an edgy sorcerer.

That is my preferred Warlock.

Where is the "A class that should not exist and should be combined with the sorcerer to give them Pact Magic for spellcasting, and Metamagic/invocations all fueled by sorcery points" option of the poll?

Remathilis

Legend
Where is the "A class that should not exist and should be combined with the sorcerer to give them Pact Magic for spellcasting, and Metamagic/invocations all fueled by sorcery points" option of the poll?
Thankfully missing, though if you used regular spellcasting and added invocations, I'd be happy to listen.

Thankfully missing, though if you used regular spellcasting and added invocations, I'd be happy to listen.
I'd be okay with that too, so long as it was properly balanced. The larger point is that the warlock shouldn't exist. The two classes both eat into each other's design spaces constantly (i.e. we don't have a dragon warlock because of sorcerer, and we don't have a fey/hag sorcerer because of warlock, etc.) and both get their magic from a non-god / academic source, the only difference being that the warlock is external while the sorcerer is internal. Heck, even metamagic and invocations are not that far off conceptually from one another, and if they were unified under one class they could easily be balanced around using sorcery points to power them.

The reason why I'd prefer pact Magic as the spellcasting mechanics is because the autoleveling of spells as you get stronger screams "I am magic incarnate." ...which ya know is supposed to be the sorcerer's thing.

mellored

Legend
This isn't a sorcerer poll.
But feel free to start one and see how many people think it should be a wizard variant or warlock variant.
😎

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
Keep Pact Magic as is (or have the number of slot progress with Proficiency Bonus). At 5th level, give them a class feature that says, "When you roll for Initiative, you restore one expended use of a spell slot."

Whether you increase the number of spell slots, people are less like to horde them if they are ensured at least one spell per combat.

This isn't a sorcerer poll.
But feel free to start one and see how many people think it should be a wizard variant or warlock variant.
😎
Other way around. The warlock mechanics should just be rolled into the sorcerer. I'm not talking a subclass. I'm talking get rid of warock and fundamentally rebuild sorcerer from the ground up taking the better ideas of warlock with it. Then take all existing warlock subclasses and make them sorcerer subclasses.

There isn't enough actual thematic difference in the mechanics themselves that one couldn't just play a "warlock" as a sorcerer and the player roleplaying as "The origin of my magical abilities are an archfey, or a dragon granted me a boon."

Other way around. The warlock mechanics should just be rolled into the sorcerer. I'm not talking a subclass. I'm talking get rid of warock and fundamentally rebuild sorcerer from the ground up taking the better ideas of warlock with it. Then take all existing warlock subclasses and make them sorcerer subclasses.
I would ask why you wanted to eliminate the more interesting one both thematically and mechanically - but WotC looks as if it's shot half the mechanics and broken half the rest in the process.

But the one that should be rolled up into another class is that a wizard should be a sorcerer subclass. There just isn't the thematic or mechanical difference between "Sorcerer" and "Someone who gets their magic from books on exactly the same timescale from the same list".

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think all 3 (warlock, wizard, and sorcerer) should be rolled into one class. I'd also be temped to roll druid back into a generic priest class and make the primal and divine spell lists the same lists, though this was a better option when we had spell spheres to differentiate different magic granted by different gods. Since we won't be going back to that, I guess we're stuck with the divine/primal class division.

Aldarc

Legend
I think all 3 (warlock, wizard, and sorcerer) should be rolled into one class. I'd also be temped to roll druid back into a generic priest class and make the primal and divine spell lists the same lists, though this was a better option when we had spell spheres to differentiate different magic granted by different gods. Since we won't be going back to that, I guess we're stuck with the divine/primal class division.
Nope.

Remove ads