• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord 4th Edition Conversion

WaywardWaffle

First Post
I was making some other homebrews when I started wistfully remembering the party roles of classes in 4th edition. One thing I missed was the Leader, which yes there is many build paths to do that now, but I was fond of the Warlord. So I spent a couple of days and built it from from scratch in 5e, I looked at what it's powers did in 4e and built a class that roughly did the same thing in the modern rule set.

As a Warlord, you gain the following class features.

[h=3]HIT POINTS[/h]Hit Dice: 1d10 per Warlord level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier per Warlord level after 1st

[h=3]PROFICIENCIES[/h]Armor: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Tools: Healer’s Kit

Saving Throws: Constitution, Charisma OR Intelligence
Skills: Choose 3 from Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidate, Medicine, Persuasion, Survival,

[h=3]EQUIPMENT (or if choosing gold: 5d4 x 10 gp)[/h]You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) 1 Martial Melee Weapon + 1 Shield
- (a) Chain Mail or (b) Scale Mail
- (a) Diplomat’s Pack or (b) a Dungeoneer's Pack
- (a) 1 Healer’s Kit or (b) 1 Ranged Weapon + 20 Ammunition

Fighting Style:
You adopt a particular style of fighting as your speciality. Choose a fighting style from the Fighter’s fighting style list. You can’t take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Level 1:Warlord’s Tactics: At 1st level your careful eye over the battlefield allows you to shout Orders to allies, allowing them to make greater use of their abilities. You can use this feature a number of times equal to ½ your Warlord Level (Minimum 1), and regain all uses after a short or long rest. You can use your bonus action to issue one of the following Orders to an ally you can see. You gain new orders when you choose a Military branch at 3rd level, and again at level 10 and 20.

• Assist: Creature can use their reaction to use the help action.
  • Hold: Creature can use their reaction to make a Push action. In addition, the creature cannot be forced to move until the start of your next turn.

Level 2:Rally: When an ally you can see is hit by an attack, you may choose to gain advantage on attacks you make against the creature that made the attack before the end of your next turn. You can only have Rally active against one creature at a time, choosing a new creature cancels the advantage on the previous.

Level 3: Military Branch
At 3rd level, you choose a Military Branch that you study to use on the battlefield. This archetype grants features at level 3, 8, 13, and 18. Choose Commander or Grand Master.

Level 4: Ability Score Improvement: When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Level 5: Extra Attack: Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn, this increases to 3 times at level 17.

Level 6: Starting at 6th level you can consume a use of Warlord’s Tactics to end a charm or fear affect on an ally.

Level 10: Lead the Charge: Starting at 10th level when you use the Help action to aid an ally you can target a number of creatures equal to ⅓ your Warlord Level rounded down at the same time.

Level 14: Pack Awareness: Beginning at 14th level, your extraordinary battlefield alertness extends to your allies. If you are not surprised at the start of combat, conscious creatures of your choice within 30 feet of you are also not surprised. In addition, when you get a surprise round you can give one other creature within 30 feet a surprise round as well.

Level 18: Unyielding General: If you roll Initiative and have no uses of Warlord’s Tactics remaining, you regain 2 uses.

[h=3]ARCHETYPE Commander[/h]
Level 3: When you choose the Commander Archetype at level 3 you gain two new Orders.

• Attack: Creature makes a weapon attack against a target as their reaction.
  • Fortify: Creature gains +2 to their AC or Ability Save against the next attack that targets them
  • Level 10: Rest: Creature can use their reaction to heal their Hit Dice value without spending one, this heal has a bonus equal to your Charisma Modifier instead of their Constitution modifier.
  • Level 20: Infallible Strike: Creature gains +10 to their next attack roll

Level 3: Restore Morale: When you hit with a weapon attack you can use your bonus action to give an ally within 10ft Temporary Hit Points equal to your Charisma Modifier

Level 8: Aura of Weakness: At 8th level your commanding presence gives you a 15ft Aura. Any hostile creatures that make an attack while in the aura have their damage reduced by your Charisma Modifier.

Level 13: War Bond: You can spend an action invigorating your allies. Pick a number of creatures within 30ft up to your Charisma Modifier, they gain advantage on their next action. Once you use this ability you cannot do so again until you complete a short or long rest.

Level 18: Commander’s Directive: Warlord’s Tactics can now target a number of creatures equal to your Charisma Modifier at the same time.

[h=3]ARCHETYPE Grand Master[/h]
Level 3: Spellcasting
Uses the Eldritch Knight cantrip number and spell slot progression. Draws from the Wizard table. The Grand Master, unlike the Eldritch Knight, has no limit on what schools of spells it can learn.

Level 3: Bonus Spells: As the Grand Master you gain access to bonus spells when you reach certain levels. These spells are always prepared and do not count towards your number of spells known.
Level 3: Compelled Duel
Level 7: Enhance Ability
Level 13: Elemental Weapon
Level 19: Freedom of Movement

Level 3: When you choose the Grandmaster Archetype at level 3 you gain two new Orders.

• Maneuver: Creature can move up to half their speed without provoking OA’s as a reaction.
  • Destroy: Creature adds your intelligence modifier to their damage rolls until the end of their turn.
  • Level 10: Maiming Strike: When the creature hits with an attack roll, the target’s speed drops to 0 until the start of their next turn.
  • Level 20: Find Weak Point: Until their next turn the creature can get a critical hit on an attack roll when the number on the d20 is greater than or equal to 20 - your Intelligence Modifier.

Level 3: Elemental Coating: When you cast a spell that deals any damage type other than Slashing Piercing or Bludgeon damage, you can choose to have your weapon attacks deal that damage type as well until the end of your next turn. In the event that the spell deals multiple damage types, you pick one. You can cancel the effect with no action any time after choosing the type and making an attack.

Level 8: Aura of Speed: You channel your magical ability into a menacing aura with a 15ft radius. For hostile creatures it counts as difficult terrain. In addition, any friendly creature has their speed increased by 10ft until the end of their turn the first time they enter the aura on their turn.

Level 13: Zone of Control: At the start of combat you choose an area with a 5ft radius that is completely within 30ft that is your zone of control. As long as you are within 30ft of the edge of your zone of control, when a creature enters the zone you can use your reaction to teleport to any unoccupied spot within the zone of control and make an attack against the creature. At the start of each of your turns you can use a bonus action to change the location of your zone of control.

Level 18: Stay in Formation: Whenever you use an action to cast a spell that would target one ally, you can consume a use of Warlord’s Tactics to target a number of creatures equal to your Intelligence modifier instead. Once you use this feature you cannot do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
FYI, you can't read the text you have copied and pasted from another document if the viewer is using a black background (your text is black). If you use the remove format tab (the Aa symbol w/ the X through it on the up left corner of the editing menu) it will work properly (changing color automatically with different browser backgrounds). You can then use the editing menu's formatting options to get the text to look how you want. I am interested in what you have come up with - but i can't read it at the moment.

kore

First Post
For saving throw proficiencies you did a couple of things outside the design paradigm, one of which is not such a big deal and the other probably should be changed. First, classes as published don't get choices in proficiences; some get extras later on but that's not the same thing. This can be overlooked because it still doesn't give the class more beginning proficiencies over any other class. The second thing is that of all the proficiencies available to this design, you built it with the weakest 3 options. DEX, CON, and WIS are primary (my terminology) save proficiencies while STR, INT, and CHA are secondary. You'll notice that all published classes have only one of the former and one of the later and I believe that is by design. My recommendation is to give a single "primary" save proficiency and if you want to keep the choose-a-second feature make it between 2 secondary proficiencies.

Edit:
This looks like a fun class to play, but I do have a criticism:

Rally and Restore Morale seem a little overpowered without some limitation. Perhaps limit both to once per ally per short/long rest.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Maybe I missed it, but what is the cost of using a "warlord tactic?" Is it an action, bonus action, movement, reaction - what? Otherwise looks pretty interesting, although I would like more tactical options. I think setting up the "tactics" like the battlemaster's "maneuvers" might work better than restricting them to specific archetypes.

WaywardWaffle

First Post
what is the cost of using a "warlord tactic?" Is it an action, bonus action, movement, reaction - what? I think setting up the "tactics" like the battlemaster's "maneuvers" might work better than restricting them to specific archetypes.

It is a bonus action. I was also considering the maneuvers but I wanted to differentiate it from the Battlemaster which can already take on a heavy support role. Also as it is it is somewhat restricted to what the 4th edition archetypes did, ie. one focused on attack and move, the other on damage and defense. If I gave a massive list of tactics to choose from it'd have to be at least 10 to choose from for each archetype to keep that restriction in place, and with that many tactics you'd get plenty that are extremely strong compared to the others and it'd end up unbalanced.

My recommendation is to give a single "primary" save proficiency and if you want to keep the choose-a-second feature make it between 2 secondary proficiencies.
Excellent point, I was aware of that but completely forgot. I'll edit it to Constitution and Intelligence or Charisma.

Rally and Restore Morale seem a little overpowered without some limitation. Perhaps limit both to once per ally per short/long rest.

This one... is a bit tougher. I fiddled around with these two abilities quite a lot and here's my reasoning for them being as they are right now.

First Restore Morale: Spellcasting is ALWAYS strong, that's just a universal thing among classes and that's why every class has a spellcasting archetype. I wanted the Commander to have that same level of strength of spellcasting so the class as a whole didn't end up with the current Fighter Champion/Battlemaster power difference. So I borrowed a druid at-will from 4th edition that uses wisdom mod for the same effect. I feel like the ability as a whole is solid but DOES need some limitation, you're right. For now though I believe it does scale well. 5 max temp HP isn't a lot at higher levels, it's still fairly strong, but temporary HP doesn't stack. I think with the extra attacks as the commander levels up it gives a natural way for the ability to scale to higher levels. If you have recommendations for balancing this ability without making the magical archetype completely overshadow the commander then please do share.

Second, Rally: This was also a fairly hard ability to implement properly. The Warlord has a lotttt of stuff it needs to be doing. I've built the class to encourage a low strength or dexterity mod because the Warlord has so much to do. A character has to be right in the front line taking heavy attacks, using charisma/intelligence to bolster allies, and needs to be basically everywhere at once. With this in mind I am almost certain strength or dexterity would end up as a dump stat and the commander would be very weak on it's actual combat front anyways, so I'll just lean into it, in a sense. So this was a fairly interesting flavour-wise ability. I think it keeps the Warlord moving all around the battlefield as it should, and gives it a way to land attacks with a low mod. Again, if you, or anyone else, has a recommendation for a rework of the ability by all means share it please.

Last edited:

Remove ads