• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord Build Help & Discussion

Family

First Post
Our entire group hates playing "the cleric". One is thinking about a Warlord though. He and I sat down and can't really decide how to put one together though.

He'd like to be the healer of the group but doesn't want to end up at the waterboy. We need a build that also allows for moments of glory (this would include grand support powers like "lead the attack).

He inevitably ends up role-playing in this manner whoever his avatar is anyway. His personality is quite large and he is very smart, he would fit a tactical warlord quite well.

I'm not looking for a total build-out, just some solid tips of any sort: initial stats, starting powers, tasty powers to aim for at the mid-level, and what race would really do well (he doesn't like tieflings or half-elves). Also pitfalls to avoid.

I don't know why but I'm stuck on this one. Opinions and any general thoughts on the class are welcome. Thanks.

Surgoshan

First Post
I statted up a halfling warlord, and it looks like it's going to be fun. He's going to run around the battlefield drawing OA and getting missed all over the place. As his first feat, I chose Lost in the Crowd, to better fulfill that vision, rather than a warlord feat.

Palladion

Adventurer
First thing that your player should notice is that the warlord attacks are all based off Strength and his attacks all key off as a melee combatant. Convince him of the "marshal" aspect of the character class. All the class "leader" effects are essentially "bonus" effects from actually attacking and hitting an enemy. Next, healing is a minor action. He can do it as an afterthought. That should convince him of the non-cleric aspect of the class.

As for an actual build, dragonborn inspiring warlord, eladrin tactical warlord, or tiefling warlord are all sound builds. Have him look to see if any of the paragon classes inspire him, I find it always nice to have something to work towards.

Lead the attack has definitely swung the battle in our favor with my group. I could not comment much on higher level powers (because I am not playing the warlord and we have not gotten there yet). Tactical Assault (PHB 201) works really well, especially if there are multiple damage rolls involved.

(As an aside, eladrin tactical warlord, wizard multiclass, power swap feats, wizard of the Spiral Tower paragon class, demigod epic destiny. Also works with tiefling.)

Last edited:

The Sword 88

First Post
I am playing human tactical warlord right now.

I have 18 STR and 14 INT and I mainly play like a fighter would, sans marking, and I use my Inspiring word if either me or the paladin needs it.

I mainly attack with my bastard sword, on the downside my at will powers are that great comparatively to most of the classes. If the rogue didnt use his snak attack that turn I usually move to give him flanking and then I use commanders strike or when the paladin and I are near an opponent who would want to get away I use's viper whatever it is. Other than that I mainly use either basic attack or the shift one so that I get flanking.

rhm001

First Post
Well, much as I like the idea of a half-elf or tiefling, there are other good candidates, too. If the player wants or doesn't mind a role playing challenge, suggest a halfling, played as "the small guy with a chip on his shoulder." There are a lot of nice feat options for them, too. Eladrin are also very good candidates, especially for tactical; it's nice to be able to pop over and heal your friend without having to withdraw. Also, the eladrin's teleport and skill with longswords go really well with a Sword Marshal's Diamond Blade of Victory. For both the halfling and the eladrin, the Dexterity boost will help you qualify for the heavy blade feats later on, which are very nice, and then the other stat will help with powers. Human isn't bad, both for the feat AND for the extra power; unlike some other classes, all of the Warlord's at wills have their uses for all but the most one sided builds (i.e. ones with a 10 in Intelligence or Charisma).

I do like Furious Smash in particular, even for tactical, as long as you have a 14 or more in Charisma. It's versus Fortitude, so it's good for both you and the ally when you're fighting high AC enemies. If you're going all out tactical and keeping the Charisma low, then take others. If he wants to be upfront, be sure he's OK with the style of Commander's Strike, where somebody else is getting a lot of the glory.

Encounters that stand out to me: Hammer and Anvil is hard to beat as a first Encounter power. I like Surprise Attack at 7, and at 13... man, I really like 'em all!

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Family said:
Our entire group hates playing "the cleric". One is thinking about a Warlord though. He and I sat down and can't really decide how to put one together though.

He'd like to be the healer of the group but doesn't want to end up at the waterboy. We need a build that also allows for moments of glory (this would include grand support powers like "lead the attack).

He inevitably ends up role-playing in this manner whoever his avatar is anyway. His personality is quite large and he is very smart, he would fit a tactical warlord quite well.

I'm not looking for a total build-out, just some solid tips of any sort: initial stats, starting powers, tasty powers to aim for at the mid-level, and what race would really do well (he doesn't like tieflings or half-elves). Also pitfalls to avoid.

I don't know why but I'm stuck on this one. Opinions and any general thoughts on the class are welcome. Thanks.

ok, this tactic I have found works well for most any builds.

Human

stat array 18 14 11 10 10 9

20 str +2 human
14 int or cha
11 con
others don't matter

With your feats you take weapon focus, power attack, armor proficiency feats up to full plate, as you wont have the stats to specialize, and take that feat that gives extra hp.

I cant really give specifics for war lord but I like this stat array alot. Works well for ranged ranger, and fighter too. It gives max stats in primary stat and ok stats in secondary. When you bump up your stats bump your str and the secondary stat.

parcival42

First Post
I'm playing a Eladrin Tactical Warlord, using a spear from the second rank, and doing a full multi-class with wizard. We are using 25 point buy rather than 22, so I have an 18 Int and a 17 Str. Two of my first level powers, Warlord's Favor and Lead the Attack, give my allies a +5 bonus to hit against specific targets. That's huge. My wizard powers, sans implement, are at +4 to hit, which isn't horrible. Overall a versatile character that's been fun to play so far. The only drawback I can see is the Tactical Warlord's ability to heal is a little less than an Inspiring Warlord's would be. We'll see if it becomes a problem as levels progress.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Armor proficiency feat require more CON than that - 15 if you want full plate.

Moon-Lancer said:
ok, this tactic I have found works well for most any builds.

Human

stat array 18 14 11 10 10 9

20 str +2 human
14 int or cha
11 con
others don't matter

With your feats you take weapon focus, power attack, armor proficiency feats up to full plate, as you wont have the stats to specialize, and take that feat that gives extra hp.

I cant really give specifics for war lord but I like this stat array alot. Works well for ranged ranger, and fighter too. It gives max stats in primary stat and ok stats in secondary. When you bump up your stats bump your str and the secondary stat.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
oops, my bad. I forgot. I guess change the 14 cha or int to a 12 and put a 12 into con. later you can get scale and a heavy shield.

Fighters and Rangers seem easier to build. Warlord with its fighter light properties makes things difficult.

Last edited:

Surgoshan

First Post
rhm001 said:
Well, much as I like the idea of a half-elf or tiefling, there are other good candidates, too. If the player wants or doesn't mind a role playing challenge, suggest a halfling, played as "the small guy with a chip on his shoulder."
I named my halfling warlord "Nappy Leon".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads