D&D 5E "Warlord" Fighter sub-class from MMHFT podcast. Further duscussion.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It may be nice to get a new Mearls Warlord thread with his final design so we can all talk about that and we won't have to dig through 900 posts to find the details about his design? Any volunteers to create it?
Hunted up the most relevant links from the original thread:

Links to the podcasts:
For those of you who do not know:

Mike Mearls hosts a stream where he designs subclasses, this week he took a stab at the highly demanded (Fighter)Warlord.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/235935943
2nd part:
YouTube link is here.

3rd part:

And, in summary:
(also attached, below)
Transcribed his first draft results, which you can see here. .

I'm going wiki with this one, so feel free to add other relevant links!

Attachments

• Warlord HFH Draft 1.pdf
    660 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
That seems incredibly unwieldy. I think I would have preferred a variant battlemaster with lower superiority dice but bigger battlefield effects plus superior manoeuvres that are more like tactical gambits costing two dice and toned down purple dragon knight healing.

CapnZapp

Legend
What? A "tactical area"?

Talk about... I lack words.

This is obviously stealing the totem shaman's schtick, planting a totem in the ground for various effects.

Where is the give-ally-action? Oh, at 18th level. What a wasted effort - you could just as well say "don't get any"?

I give this an F as a warlord effort. As a misnamed totem class it might have merit, but honestly I can't be bothered to analyse in any detail.

What's wrong with him, people? Why insist on calling this not-warlord a warlord? Is he deliberately trolling us or what?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Why insist on calling this not-warlord a warlord? Is he deliberately trolling us or what?
In the first ep he does leave the door open a crack to a full class...

...one excuse he offered was not enough concepts to fill out a full class with 8+ sub-classes... ignoring there were 6 different 'Presences' in 4e, plus the fan-favorite 'lazy' builds. The other thread came up with 12-16 potential 5e sub-classes, since those go all over the map, playing with faux-MC ideas and the like.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I like a lot of ideas in the subclass. It seems maybe too strong by max level and will have to be toned back quite a bit IMO

its probably about right in power till mid game

This is all I can think when I hear all this banter about Warlords...

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe it's because I played 1e then missed a few decades and started back up with 5e...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's quite a tactical genius, right there. As a DM, I'm always terrified that the PCs might group up into another a tight bunch to get healing, because there's nothing I can do to punish PCs for standing together in a small area.

G

Guest 6801328

The only substantive objection I have to this is the name "Warlord" which remains one of the worst class names ever.

I still don't see the need for healing, but at least the source for it was left vague. Those who need it to be non-magical can make it so.

I find the abilities themselves fun and flavorful, although rather "unwieldy" as [MENTION=6777422]Pauln6[/MENTION] said. The nifty/tricky thing about it is that because you declare the tactical focus on one turn and use it on subsequent turns you actually have to plan ahead...at least a little bit...so in that sense it really is tactical and not just reactionary.

Remove ads