• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warmage homebrew based on "surge" abilities

DumbPaladin

First Post
I'm actually wondering if I should give them more class features.

I know it's a big change, but have you considered giving them cleric/rogue BAB? They are supposed to be much more trained in weapons combat than a wizard, after all. I always found it strange that they'd have the same crummy BAB as a wizard. With a better BAB, they could certainly prove useful even when they're out of spell slots.

I also like the Eclectic Learning version of Advanced Learning: it opens up the Warmage's list a little bit, giving them at chance at a couple of utility or otherwise lifesaving spells.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think this is wonderful work!

Thank you.

Given the terribly narrow spell list of the warmage, I don't think this variant would be unbalancing to the game overall.

Yeah, my concern is just that there are various ways in 3E to expand your spell list, and while with the base list nothing is unbalanced, it could be a problem if the Warmage player finds a way besides Eclectic Learning to add other things to his list.

I also think that it might be a good choice to add further powers to a menu list, as you have considered in your post above. Is there a final version of the class?

No, a lot of times I never really finish something... I need more class feature ideas before I could make it into a bunch of lists to select from anyway, though.

I know it's a big change, but have you considered giving them cleric/rogue BAB? They are supposed to be much more trained in weapons combat than a wizard, after all. I always found it strange that they'd have the same crummy BAB as a wizard. With a better BAB, they could certainly prove useful even when they're out of spell slots.

I'm not opposed to it, just wary of giving too much. It IS still a full caster, and while no where near as good as the others...people often call the sorcerer bad because he's no wizard, and yet he's still much stronger than a Fighter. Warmage could have medium BAB, though. I don't think they need it because they use touch spells and area effects, though. As for melee...that's really not what a Warmage is. He's much more artillery as written. Lots of offense, but still low HD and defenses. I don't think they were meant to mix it up in melee when spells ran out.

Andion Isurand

First Post
Suggestions

When a warmage gains access to a new level of spells for his class, he automatically knows all spells for that level listed on the warmage's spell list, as well as one evocation spell chosen from the wizard's spell list of that spell level or lower.

Doing this under the "Spellcasting" header could replace Advanced Learning (leaving a vaccum for more abilities) and grant the warmage up to 9 evocation spells from the wiz list.... or even more if he gains Improved Spell Capacity feats. Plus... doing it this way also helps if the warmage decides to enter a prestige class.

Warmage Edge (Ex): A warmage is specialized in dealing damage with his spells. Whenever a warmage casts a spell that deals hit point damage, he adds a bonus to the damage dealt equal to the spell's level plus his Intelligence bonus (if any). For instance, if a 5th-level warmage with 17 intelligence casts fireball (a 3rd level spell), he deals 5d6 points of damage normally, plus an extra 6 points of damage due to his warmage edge. The bonus from the warmage edge special ability applies only to spells he casts as a warmage, not to those he might have by virtue of levels in another class. etc etc etc

This way the warmage edge feature could scale slightly better with the power of warmage spells.

To fill the void, you could incorperate ability options chosen from a menu like the rogue.

Consistent Edge (Ex): Whenever rolling damage for a spell that benefits from your Warmage Edge class feature, you can reroll any natural result of 1 on any number of damage dice. You must keep the result of each reroll, even if it is another 1.

Resonating Edge (Ex): When casting a spell that benefits from your Warmage Edge class feature, you may reroll any attempt to overcome a creature's spell resistance. You must keep the result of the reroll.

Warded Edge (Su): When you successfully cast a spell that benefits from your Warmage Edge class feature, you gain temporary hit points equal to that spell's level plus your intelligence bonus (if any) to a maximum equal to your caster level. These hit points last for 1 round. Hit points gained from multiple uses of this ability do not stack.

/////////// other suggestions //////////////////

What about giving them the battlecast ability (with warmage spells only) from the Havoc Mage PrC (miniatures handbook)?

And give them medium BAB?

Expand their skill list to include ride & handle animal so they make good on their role as mobile artillery in the battle field?

Give the warmage an exclusive spell or spell-like ability that grants himself and allies SR against the spells he himself casts as a warmage?

Last edited:

Remove ads