Warner Bros. Now Deleting Games

"Warner Bros. Discovery isn’t satisfied with just deleting movies, they’re now coming for some of your favorite games on Steam and digital console stores. According to the indie developers, three games published under the Adult Swim Games label are being deleted from the platform, and no one seems to have a clear grasp on why. "

I am guessing they would rather sell a million people one game (probably Hogwarts related) than a thousand people a thousand games. I doubt there is any tax advantage to this move so the savings are probably miniscule.

Warner Bros. Isn't Just Deleting Movies, They Are Coming For Games

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
To address this briefly-

Not everything has the same explanation. I wish people would try and understand this simply concept. Or, put more simply, a company can do X, Y, and Z, and you can dislike X, Y, and Z ... but they may have completely different reasons for doing X, Y, and Z ... and they don't all fall under the rubric of, "Because they're evil and hate you."

I mean, it might be the case, but still...

Now, if you ever read my previous regularly updated power rankings on the streaming wars (now discontinued due to lack of interest), you'd know that I dislike Zaslav and believe that the Discovery/Warner merger has largely been disastrous for many reasons. That said, you can't just put all of their actions in a single bucket. Here's a quick breakdown-

A. Not releasing completed movies (Batgirl, etc.). This was purely for tax reasons. As part of the post-merger restructuring, they wrote off almost $2 billion. Why Batgirl in particular? This also went to a pivot in strategy- Batgirl was originally going to be a streaming-only movie. But now, they are concentrating on movies with theatrical releases prior to streaming. They determined that Batgirl was not going to make money theatrically to recoup the expenditure, so instead wrote it off. In addition, to get the tax benefit, they can't show it to the public.

B. Removing shows and movies from streaming. This was both for tax reasons (see, e.g., American Pickle), but also due to contracts and residuals. Some shows (in their determination) cost them more to keep on the streaming platform than it was worth to them.

Understanding why they were making these decisions is simple-go to the incentives. There are three main factors at play-

1. Wall Street suddenly reversed course and demanded profitability from the streamers, not acquisition of new subscribers, which impacted stock prices and has impacted all of the companies with a major streaming component.

2. The new company has a massive debt burden, and has been working to reduce that debt burden.

3. And, of course, Zaslav changed his compensation scheme so that he was no longer rewarded by share price, but by free cash. I mean .... c'mon!

Viewed in this light, everything they are doing has made sense. It is why, for example, Max is licensing the "crown jewels" (major movies like Dune and HBO series) to other streamers, like Netflix. Because MONEY. And it's why they are cutting back on other things-like unprofitable legacy gaming.

In short, it does suck. But as we have learned repeatedly (and as everyone should know) .... there are no rights to streaming from the consumer. Yes, it is wonderful that we get these vast libraries of content that are available, but you really shouldn't depend on any particular thing being available. If you read through the linked article, you will see that they are allowing the games' creators to continue publishing on their own. Now, maybe this will resolve in other ways, and that would be great. But given that the "journalism-like" substance tries to claim that the process would take two minutes at the most ... which confuses and understates the technical process for the internal legal review that would have to occur ... I doubt that there is any real attempt to understand what is going on.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I am guessing they would rather sell a million people one game (probably Hogwarts related)
You'd think that. But even though that Harry Potter single player RPG was a multi-million seller and a runaway success. WB games says that they are going to double down on live service games instead even though that Suicide Squad live service game they just put out bombed, in large part because of its live service nature. The rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m of two minds about this.

On the one hand, it does suck.

On the other hand, nobody should be obligated to sell something to you for all eternity until the heat death of the universe. Creating something shouldn’t automatically create any such obligation (or entitlement). If they want to stop selling something, they don’t have to.

If they’re taking away things you’ve ‘bought’ digitally that’s another story. I don’t think that’s good behaviour at all.

But the way the title is phrased — “deleted” is the wrong word. “Not selling it to you right now” is not the same as deleting something. The thing still exists. If you bought it in some way and have a local copy, you still have it. Or a physical copy. But yeah, it sucks if you happen to want to buy the thing that’s no longer available.

GreyLord

Legend
Will it still be available to be played by those who have it on Steam though?

I didn't get clarity on that from the article.

If they yank it, it may also be that they are yanking it from being able to be played.

Which is why I'm glad I have GOG. GOG doesn't have as many games as STeam though, part of it is because they don't have DRM...part of that is that those who LOVE DRM also want the power to yank their game from the platform and those who "think" they own it (those who "bought" the game, but who the publisher merely feels is leasing it).

IT should be interesting to see how WB ends up in the long run. Right now, these games being yanked do not appear to be high demand games (in fact, I hadn't heard of them), so it's probably some formula where it is looking at minimal impact for bigger return or something like that.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I’m of two minds about this.

On the one hand, it does suck.

On the other hand, nobody should be obligated to sell something to you for all eternity until the heat death of the universe. Creating something shouldn’t automatically create any such obligation (or entitlement). If they want to stop selling something, they don’t have to.

If they’re taking away things you’ve ‘bought’ digitally that’s another story. I don’t think that’s good behaviour at all.

But the way the title is phrased — “deleted” is the wrong word. “Not selling it to you right now” is not the same as deleting something. The thing still exists. If you bought it in some way and have a local copy, you still have it. Or a physical copy. But yeah, it sucks if you happen to want to buy the thing that’s no longer available.
We give intellectual property protections to company’s so they can be incentivized to create content (and make money from it). I think they should lose IP rights if they have made something publicly available and then chose to stop making the material available, at least after some reasonable time frame.

Clearly the IP rights aren’t doing them or the end user any good in that scenario.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We give intellectual property protections to company’s so they can be incentivized to create content (and make money from it). I think they should lose IP rights if they have made something publicly available and then chose to stop making the material available, at least after some reasonable time frame.

Clearly the IP rights aren’t doing them or the end user any good in that scenario.
So anything I’ve made or created should be forcibly made publicly available, whether I want it to be or not?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
So anything I’ve made or created should be forcibly made publicly available, whether I want it to be or not?
If you've released it publicly and then don't do anything with it for like ten years?

Yeah?

It would stop corporations buying stuff just to bury their competition at least. You remember the Dragonquest RPG? TSR made sure you didn't.

KYRON45

Explorer
It would seem that it all comes down to reading the fine print.
Do you own the thing you just paid for or are you just leasing/renting it for a bit?
This will become the main problem with VTT's and micro transactions. What happens when the new CEO of RPG Inc. changes the companies direction and you loose access to your most beloved character?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No. I propose a more limited scope - Just things you’ve previously made digitally available for purchase to the public after say a 10 year period of them not being on the market for more than 90 days total.

There is no fundamental human right to own IP. Its a privilege society grants so that society as a whole can benefit from artists actually spending their time to create stuff.

But when that societal benefit is subverted by removing already released and selling products from the market forever - does it really make sense for IP protections to continue for such a product?

Remove ads