• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Was Gandalf Just A 5th Level Magic User?

This article from Dragon Magazine, back in 1977, is likely very familiar to many of you (feel free to yawn - this item isn't for you!) However, there are many newer fans of D&D who don't even remember Dragon Magazine, let alone issues from nearly 40 years ago. In the article, Bill Seligman posits that Gandalf was merely a 5th level magic-user. Given Cubicle 7's recent announcement about an official Middle Earth setting for D&D, it seems like a nostalgia piece worth revisiting.

This article from Dragon Magazine, back in 1977, is likely very familiar to many of you (feel free to yawn - this item isn't for you!) However, there are many newer fans of D&D who don't even remember Dragon Magazine, let alone issues from nearly 40 years ago. In the article, Bill Seligman posits that Gandalf was merely a 5th level magic-user. Given Cubicle 7's recent announcement about an official Middle Earth setting for D&D, it seems like a nostalgia piece worth revisiting.

Some folks I hear discussing this topic these days take the position that Gandalf is actually a paladin. Certainly "wizards" in Tolkien's works aren't the same magic-missile-throwing folks as in regular D&D; in fact there are only five wizards in the whole of Middle Earth - and at least one of them (the 7th Doctor) is very clearly a druid.

What do you think? Is Gandalf a 5th level magic-user? What about in 5th Edition, given the upcoming Middle Earth release? I'm sure Cubicle 7 will tells for certain this summer, but until then...

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 23.18.01.png

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
THAT is a really good point. in battling the Wargs in Hobbit, he cast numerous fireballs and I might argue that it was the Meteor Swarm spell (9th) instead.

It wasn't really either. It more like a produce flame that had fire that wouldn't burn out and spread when touched. Sort of a produce napalm. Who knows what level it was, but I'd guess at least 4th.

G

Guest 6801328

It wasn't really either. It more like a produce flame that had fire that wouldn't burn out and spread when touched. Sort of a produce napalm. Who knows what level it was, but I'd guess at least 4th.

So now you're claiming that Gandalf used napalm. This is in addition to your claim that Sauron can shoot lightning bolts out of his eye.

G

Guest 6801328

Which has zero to do with what I said, or do you not understand the concept of "sort of like."?

I'm just testing out the Maxperson Forum Debating(tm) technique.

Anyway, let's talk more about your claims that Sauron shoots lightning bolts out of his Eye and Gandalf uses Napalm.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well I don't want to say you're wrong just that I'm skeptical about the Napalm part in particular.

At this point, since your last 3-4 posted responses to me have had no relevance to what I post and do nothing but make fun of me, I'm directing you to stop harassing me.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads