• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

Aura

Explorer
Clearly something was missing since 'you' seem to think that the ranger would have been able to clearly see the gauntlets and ring while 'I' didn't get that from what the OP posted.

'you' being all those who think this way, 'I' being all those who don't think that.

OK, do you think any of these scenarios (special counter, LOS bag and wandering seller) proposed to prevent the ranger from seeing the goods really happened? If so, which one? If need be, perhaps we can ask for clarification.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
that was information missing from the actual game. Not information missing from the Dms account of the game.

I would like to add that in game when such instances are presented without stated information then such information isn't deemed relevant to the scene at hand. The scene should still work no matter how the player visualized the scene when lack of information is presented.

to add to this. Any unbiased player is going to imagine the items are in plain view of both himself and the blacksmith if no description is otherwise given. There is no reason for him to have imagined otherwise.

Were you there? Because in my experience, a DM account that is a few paragraphs long is always missing information that happened in the game. Plus there's body language, tone of voice, and other queues that might indicate the intent of the player.

The scene should work, but if there's a disconnect it doesn't always mean the player is correct.

Absolutes like "Any unbiased player" are just plain wrong. I read this very thread to my group of players, as well as several other players and none of them felt the DM was wrong, nor that it was obvious that the items were in plain view.

Ilbranteloth

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Glad you at least have a reason for why you think there is missing information regarding the Dms account. More specifically do you believe there was info missing regarding the sell scene?

secondly, if you believe that much important info is missing how is it that you formed an opinion on it at all?

Were you there? Because in my experience, a DM account that is a few paragraphs long is always missing information that happened in the game. Plus there's body language, tone of voice, and other queues that might indicate the intent of the player.

The scene should work, but if there's a disconnect it doesn't always mean the player is correct.

Absolutes like "Any unbiased player" are just plain wrong. I read this very thread to my group of players, as well as several other players and none of them felt the DM was wrong, nor that it was obvious that the items were in plain view.

Ilbranteloth

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Interesting, since I was basing my conclusion only on the OP's posts and not on any posts by anyone else. Your again assuming things.

Care to explain what info the op provided makes you think the ranger couldn't see the ring and gauntlets while the npc could?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Anyone that thinks the items were not in plain view. Why was such details not provided to the player who was engaging in the scene?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads