• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Was Santa Claus the reason you started playing D&D?

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I posted this as a thread over on the WotC boards but since some of you don't post there I thought it was an interesting question to pose over here also. :cool:

From the WotC thread

I was talking with some people at work about how they were first introduced to D&D. One person mentioned that he started playing because he had gotten the Red Box (Basic Rules Set 1) for Christmas. For him, that was the beginning of a lifetime of gaming and playing all sorts of games including RPGs, TCGs, board games, and MMORPGs.

That got me to wondering how many people started playing D&D because someone gave it to them as a gift for Christmas, Hanukkah, a birthday, or some other gift giving occasion. Was that you?

Have you ever been the person who gave D&D as a gift and is that person still playing?

Are you giving someone D&D as gift this holiday season?

Hey and if you are on Facebook you can become a fan of this page and let that special someone know you want D&D for the holidays

Delta

First Post
Games Magazine. Great uncle gave me a subscription age ~10, 1980, and the editorials were raving about it (plus advertising). Requested it (Holmes basic) for my birthday.

Dan23

First Post
I might be the only person this ever happened to, but I actually got interested in D&D after watching the D&D movie in theaters. Soon after, I went out and got 3E stuff and taught myself how to DM and play.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
While I didn't get started to thanks to a gift, nor started someone thanks to a gift. I have received plenty of D&D (and other P&P) as a gift and vice-versa.

So perhaps maybe not start, but gift-giving certainly has helped build it.

I don't have facebook so can't join the group (side note: please launch a non-facebook version of Tiny Adventures).

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Nope. I asked my mother to buy me the one-volume British edition of the red box Basic Set when I saw it on a sale table at a bookstore in 1990, because I'd read about the game in the novelisation of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.

The odd thing was, it was an adult novelisation of the film - I don't know where it is now, but I clearly remember the scene where Eliot's mother is listening to the kids play D&D while lying down in her bedroom with a headache, and deciding to get up to check on them when she hears them discussing a "portable hole", worried that it sounded vaguely dirty.

Remove ads