• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Watching people ramble on about D&D on YouTube

Lum The Mad

First Post
Surprisingly fun.

This guy for example talks about D&D first edition to fourth edition.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdo5ErnXH3E&feature=relmfu]Early D&D was rubbish - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=116JEVCIAsk&feature=relmfu]Mid-period D&D wasn't great (part II of III) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daksqex8zUE&feature=related]Fourth Edition D&D is terrible (part III of III) - YouTube[/ame]

This one has LOADS of videos about D&D:
(in this video he talks about getting the party together)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1NUtBunfU&feature=related]RPG Pondering: Getting the party together - YouTube[/ame]

Lum The Mad

First Post

was

Adventurer
-The first guy has been posted here before, and was pretty much ripped to shreds, so I'll not repeat that.
-IMO, both of these gentlemen are under the mistaken, and self-indulgent, belief that people value their viewpoints or regard them as experts on the subject matter. Although the internet provides a forum to express oneself, it certainly does not infer any credibility on the person posting the video.
-I would fall back on the old adage about all opinions being similar to a certain part of the body, including my own.

Lum The Mad

First Post
IMO, both of these gentlemen are under the mistaken, and self-indulgent, belief that people value their viewpoints or regard them as experts on the subject matter.
Where did you get that from?
Just because people are posting videos on YouTube doesn't mean they consider themselves experts on the subject. Everybody and his neighbour is doing it now.

Although the internet provides a forum to express oneself, it certainly does not infer any credibility on the person posting the video.
We are talking about gaming here. What would "credibility" mean in this context?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
The second YouTuber, Tetsubo, has been an EN Worlder since the start, IIRC, and has had a profile on this "new" site since it began -

EN World: Your Daily RPG Magazine - View Profile: Tetsubo

Looks like he hasn't logged in here since April 2009 but a lot of folks dropped off during the height of the 4Ed-Wars, so that's not surprising. I enjoy his videos for the most part and am one of his subscribers.

"was" has an interesting stance though I wonder why that opinion wouldn't extend to all usage of the Internet, and not be limited to YouTube video bloggers. If someone asks a question on a messageboard, and isn't asking anyone directly, is anyone who answers not "self-indulgent" and of the "belief that people value their viewpoints or regard them as experts on the subject matter?" I don't always agree with anyone on the planet, no one yet anyway, but I do like to read/hear differing opinions and it's why I come to EN World and read/watch blog/vlogs. However, the opinions I manage to best identify with the person who expresses them come from the people who are less guarded about who they actually are, and I tend to give them a bit more weight unless they come from someone outrageous. Often the ones I tend to read/view less charitably are the ones from the anonymous (or mostly anonymous) person who holds negative opinions from behind the secret safety of their computer. Someone like Tetsubo has a few thousand posts here over the seven years he was active and now puts out a regular (very regular) series of vlogs rather than looking for threads to post in or to start. The only real difference being that I feel I know who he is a lot better than I did prior to his vlogging. I don't always agree with Tetsubo but I never get the impression he is frothing at the mouth or ranting absurdly, because I can clearly see that he is not. I wish I could more clearly know a lot of the posters I read here on EN World. Most of the ones I've met are really good people and I'm glad to know them.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Just because people are posting videos on YouTube doesn't mean they consider themselves experts on the subject.

One can only hope that's true...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GYx_Wdtf0]Board Games & Card Games : How to Make an RPG (Role-Playing Game) - YouTube[/ame]

B-)

Seriously though, I have watched some pretty awesome video tutorials at YouTube that have got me up and running with software like Scribus, FreeMind, and GIMP. And don't get me started on the cooking videos. Like anything, you learn to sort the wheat from the chaff.

was

Adventurer
-Let me clarify a few things. The first, is that I tire quickly of anti-rpg/dnd rants and edition flame wars. After watching them for over seven years now on this board, I find they add very little value to real discussions. Regardless of my opinions, I do try to avoid deliberately adding fuel to the flames.
-Second, I do not view YouTube videos as being open and honest. Unlike forums, those videos present only one side of an issue. There is no opportunity for open discussion of opposing viewpoints or conflicting information. The authors of such videos make their opinions known in such a way that they never have to defend them or consider the facts, or opinions, of others.
-Maybe I am overgeneralizing and jaded due to my own experience. Maybe I am jumping the gun/overreacting and these two fellows are paragons of free expression. The difference is, that on these boards I have to acknowledge my own shortcomings and the merits of opposing arguements.

darjr

I crit!
I've never seen the first set of videos. Or maybe I did and just haven't watched them.

I've never seen that cover of the UK version of D&D. I really like it.

Attachments

• tumblr_lqwmsfAJ611r1g40zo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lqwmsfAJ611r1g40zo1_500.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Remove ads