• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures: New from Unearthed Arcana

I, for one, am very pleased with the different options for existing classes over completely different classes. I don't really have an balance thoughts. Balance isn't an issue with me unless it's incredibly flagrant.

I, for one, am very pleased with the different options for existing classes over completely different classes.

I don't really have an balance thoughts. Balance isn't an issue with me unless it's incredibly flagrant.

A strict, bastard-DMy reading would say that a minotaur monk can't use the monk's Martial Arts ability. Martial Arts says "When unarmed or wielding only monk weapons [...]". Minotaur says "You are never unarmed", and horns are not a monk weapon.

That would be a very dumb reading, but completely valid under the rules.
It seems perfectly reasonable to me. Unarmed combat only really took off, as a thing, for situations where weapons were unavailable. A minotaur never has to worry about being unarmed, so there's zero reason why any minotaur would become a monk.

Working as intended.

The Mariner fighting style is quite flavorful for only being a small change. I like that. Technically it's power creep for the small niche of PCs who don't use heavy armor but would take Defensive, but I like it.
It also doesn't work for those using a shield, and the +1 to AC is otherwise balanced with the assumption that you'll have a high AC because you're using a shield. (An extra point of AC is worth a lot more to someone with AC 20 than someone with AC 18).

I don't like this ability because it's an inter-pillar trade-off. This is the first time I've noticed a class with the ability to exchange a combat ability for an exploration ability.

I wonder: why no knock prone on a minotaur hammering horns?

Balance. Knocking someone prone is a big deal. There are only a few limited options (such as a feat or two) that grant you bonuses, or bonus attempts, to doing that. Giving it automatically to a PC race could be problematic.

Or so I'm guessing.

eMalc

First Post
Easy way to tone down Panache on the Swashbuckler is to require that the Swashbuckler spend a bonus action each round to keep their opponent effectively dominated (fluff wise they have to focus on their opponent and focus on flourishes/what they're going to say to force their opponent to focus on them solely).
For a Rogue this would mean they wouldn't be able to use their Rogue's Cunning to freely kite the enemy they've enraptured so.

I'm loving this content though, these small updates with extra character options are great.

Really not crazy about the swashbuckler's Panache ability. I get what they were going for, but it feels a bit off. Maybe a bit overpowered for what it is. I have to think on it further.

Otherwise, though, I love everything about this article. I'm normally not a massive fan of the Krynnotatur, but for these purposes, I can absolutely see why WotC went with them. I've wanted a swashbuckler subclass, even if I'm not yet entirely sold on the mechanic. And I adore the storm sorcerer.

Hmm. I do wonder, though, if it'd be balanced to slow down or halt the swashbuckler's sneak attack advancement in exchange for an extra attack at 5th level, though...

Coredump

Explorer
Remember folks, these are the *Draft* versions of the crunch, for playtesting. There will be plenty of balance issues cropping up.

I acknowledge I have not playtested these at all yet (obviously), but the 'always on' 1D10 weapon seems a bit too much. You can now use a shield and a D10 weapon, which you don't have to draw or sheath, and can't be forced to leave at the door. OTOH, they only get +2 to stats, so....
I would probably put the Horns at 1D6, and Goring Rush do 2D6 damage.

It also beings up the question about Dual Wielding a Greastsword and Horns. Or a Battle axe and horns....while holding a shield. Maybe even with mariner or defensive fighting styles.

Adding 9 spells to the sorcerer known spells is a *BIG* boost. Going from 15 to 24 is huge.... Maybe give them two spells per level to choose from, but they only get to know 1 per level.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
If you've ever studied martial arts, you'll know that the power and prowess your training gives you (or the monk), is developed through constant practice (kata or forms). I don't personally think a kata for the head would be impossible but I do think it would be difficult. But then, it could be included as _part_ of a kata, I guess.
Heads are part of ones body. True. It could be conceivable to train with your head. But your butt is also part of your body. Can you train with that? Weaponise your rear? I'd love to hear the terrifying tales of the Twerking Monks of Myth Drannor. Led by Head Monk, Mythy E'Leot...
OK, I'll run with this since I am a black belt in karate too. You wouldn't weaponize your rear, no - though the Twerking Monks of Myth Drannor brings a very amusing image to mind. Realistically though, we DO train to use any number of body parts that can be weaponized - hands, feet, elbows, knees. You learn to use your entire body for balance, power,torque and so on. It stands to reason that any intelligent race would develop it's martial arts to make use of all their available natural weapons, and for a minotaur race, that very much includes their horns. Any bar brawler learns to use his weapons - punching and kicking, head butts, etc. A monk/martial artist trains dilligently to use them more effectively.

I don't like this ability because it's an inter-pillar trade-off. This is the first time I've noticed a class with the ability to exchange a combat ability for an exploration ability.

I didn't like it for some reason, and I think you've just explained why. Bad precedent.

I would have preferred a combat style that gave you some sort of benefit for fighting one-handed without a shield. The armor restriction would have been fine. They would have written it as requiring finesse weapons, and I would have house-ruled out that restriction so my cinematic warrior can wield a longsword in one hand and look cool.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
R
I would probably put the Horns at 1D6, and Goring Rush do 2D6 damage.

It also beings up the question about Dual Wielding a Greastsword and Horns. Or a Battle axe and horns....while holding a shield. Maybe even with mariner or defensive fighting styles.
I can get on-board (see what I did there?) with these. We're already seeing a smaller minotaur than the monstrous version, and dialing back the horn damage is not unreasonable. Not sure about the dual wielding - that's pretty specifically about using another weapon in your off hand. Pretty tough to attack with a hand-held weapon and drop your head to use your horns too.

I didn't like it for some reason, and I think you've just explained why. Bad precedent.

I would have preferred a combat style that gave you some sort of benefit for fighting one-handed without a shield. The armor restriction would have been fine. They would have written it as requiring finesse weapons, and I would have house-ruled out that restriction so my cinematic warrior can wield a longsword in one hand and look cool.
I think the idea is to mimic pirate movies, where they're climbing up and down masts, swinging from ropes as they battle. In this case, it very much is a combat ability - adding mobility during fights.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads