Ways of getting some points in Nature?

Roseweave

Explorer
I'm playing a Hengeyokai Storm Sorcerer in a campaign set on the Moonshae, which are three things obstensibly nature connected, but my character(and the other 3 PCs) come from a very Urban background, with low wis scores. So the theme has been somewhat of an urban, big town crew adapting to a more rural life. Since none of us are going to be good at nature, I was thinking of at least raising out bottom line, since logically someone who spends a lot of time somewhere like that will pick some things up. Basically, we're going to be crap at it until we get another player, but making it less likely we all flunk basic Nature rolls for things like making traps, recognising traps, gathering herbs/food would be helpful.

Skill training itself is rarely worth a whole feat - I think I can take a second warlock multiclass(I also have the Binder one, which is quite strong). We've already houseruled in Acrobatics training for my char as it's weirdly hard to get it for a Storm Sorcerer along with the other Rogueish skillset I wanted to go far, and the lack of options Hengeyokai get. Jack of All Trades, which I qualify for having a tiny bit of Int, would give me a small bonus that I could stack with some items, but when I get to Paragon I'll be keying insight & perception off Arcana so it'll be less useful as a feat. Something that specifically gave a larger bonus to Nature and some other skills could be more useful.

What options are there? Feats, Items, Boons. Our party also has some semi-blind spots in religion in history - while not super fitting for my character(maybe religion a little because my character's into some sort of mysticism) so if it's something that boosts 2 skills that would be preference.

Also another question - if something gives a "Bonus to perception roles" would that stack with the Sorcerous Visions feat which lets you roll Arcana instead?

Arikabeth

Explorer
Basically, we're going to be crap at it until we get another player, but making it less likely we all flunk basic Nature rolls for things like making traps, recognising traps, gathering herbs/food would be helpful.
For foraging, a hunting kit can aid you, giving +2 to Nature checks. It's a mundane set of equipment, cost 50 GP and weight 5 lb. Source: Eberron's Player Guide p. 96.

Skill training itself is rarely worth a whole feat - I think I can take a second warlock multiclass(I also have the Binder one, which is quite strong).
I couldn't find any "easy" ways to get the skill training (for +5) aside from retraining the warlock multiclass feat into something else.

Do any of the the characters have "themes" selected? Technically you could select one whenever you want (they don't need to be selected at character creation), but it's nice to hear with the DM if it's OK to select one, and that the others get their chance to pick themes too if they don't have any yet.

There are two themes which both allow you to gain skill training in Nature at lvl 5. The first is the "Elemental Initiate" theme, from Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, the second is the Scholar theme from Dragon Magazine 399.

Something that specifically gave a larger bonus to Nature and some other skills could be more useful.
The lvl 7 item "Crown of Leaves" might fit the description for what you're looking for? It's a lvl 7 head slot item which grant +2 item bonus to Nature and Insight checks (Source: Either Adventurer's Vault, page 140, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium, page 67, or Dungeon Magazine 210).

What options are there? Feats, Items, Boons. Our party also has some semi-blind spots in religion in history - while not super fitting for my character(maybe religion a little because my character's into some sort of mysticism) so if it's something that boosts 2 skills that would be preference.
If you'd want a bonus to more skills, I guess the Philosopher's Crown (lvl 7 head. Source: Adventurer's Vault p. 62) or Sanctuary's Poise (lvl 8 boon, Source: Dragon Magazine 393, p 17) could fit better. The passive property of both give +1 item bonus to Arcana, History, Nature, and Religion checks. (The crown also gives +1 item bonus to Dungeoneering).

Also another question - if something gives a "Bonus to perception roles" would that stack with the Sorcerous Visions feat which lets you roll Arcana instead?
I'm fairly sure it wouldn't work, as it states you outright make an Arcana check instead.

Roseweave

Explorer
I really wish there were more options for skill bonuses since you can't assign points. I was thinking of going with Jack of All Trades and then maybe some items.

It would be nice if there was a feat like sorcerous visions that lets you roll Arcana for Nature. Maybe a skill power somewhere?

Arikabeth

Explorer
There's a lvl 2 druid utility power, All-Encompassing Nature, which allow using Nature in place of Arcana, Dungeoneering, or Religion.

There is a lvl 2 wizard utility power, Arcane Mutterings, which allow using Arcana in place of Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate.

I couldn't find any skill power allowing you to specifically use Arcana in place of Nature though

Remove ads