We Were All New D&D Players Once

As a dungeon master and co-owner of a tabletop game and comic book shop, I meet brand-new players virtually every time I'm behind the counter or the DM screen. D&D’s recent popularity explosion has brought in countless new players. They usually are feeling both excited and intimidated, and it's my job to maintain that excitement and add confidence too.

As a dungeon master and co-owner of a tabletop game and comic book shop, I meet brand-new players virtually every time I'm behind the counter or the DM screen. D&D’s recent popularity explosion has brought in countless new players. They usually are feeling both excited and intimidated, and it's my job to maintain that excitement and add confidence too.

I certainly understand the intimidation factor. Compared to a lot of other players, I'm relatively new myself. Until a year ago, I mostly stuck to the comics side of our shop because I never learned how to play D&D. My handful of attempts to play prior to that were frustrating and bewildering. I always had to play with groups of veteran players. I didn’t know what was going on or what I was supposed to do because nothing was explained to me. None of the other players seemed to comprehend that there was a learning curve, so I had a terrible time. I thought the game just wasn't for me.

Thanks to binge-watching Critical Role, I eventually got some context for how the game worked and how it could be fun. What a revelation! I’ve made up for lost time over the past year, and started to DM last fall. Now I run a table at D&D Adventurer’s League every week, as well as a weekly game for kids ages 8-14. I've had a lot of opportunities to observe games with new players who were welcomed with varying degrees of success, and I’ve learned a few things.

If you are a DM, a veteran player, or anyone else who deals with newbies -- particularly when you play with strangers at a game shop or convention -- here are some simple things to consider if you want them to have a good time. (If you don't want them to have a good time, go away, your fun is wrong.)

Remember: You Were a Newbie Once Too
Nothing kills a person’s excitement about a group activity like having others in the group treat them like they already should be an expert. When you’ve been playing for a long time, it becomes second nature to you, but it’s easy to forget how complicated it is for someone who is unfamiliar with the game. There are so many rules, and a lot of strange terminology the average person isn’t likely to know. None of us were born knowing which die was which, what initiative is, or how proficency works. And it’s hard to look things up in the Player’s Handbook if you don’t yet know what you’re searching for.

Make an Insight Check
We’re not all proficient in Insight, but you can always try. Ideally, the DM will make the newbie feel comfortable before the game starts, and encourage them to ask questions as they arise. If you’re playing, be a friendly neighbor. Give them space to figure things out for themselves, but be willing to offer encouragement or assistance to your neighbor in a gentle and lighthearted way. My kid players can do it without making the new player feel bad, so I believe in you!

Don’t Split the Party
When I finally started playing D&D on a regular basis, I was lucky enough to land with a group who made an effort to make me feel like I was part of the gang right away. I had a general sense of how the game worked from watching streaming games, but when I was actually at the table, I was still a little confused during the first few sessions.

I always will be grateful to the DM because he was kind and helpful, and always encouraged other players to help each other as well. The people sitting next to me could point to things on my character sheet so I learned how to figure out what I was rolling, calculate damage, and so forth. They were supportive, let me feel included, and never made me feel like I was slowing the game down or being a bother. In fact, when I was finally able to find creative and effective ways to help the party, they were almost as excited as I was.

Share the Loot
Maybe you’re reading this and thinking, “This is common sense! Who isn’t already doing this?” Good for you! But sadly, common sense is rarer than it should be. I have watched many people sigh and roll their eyes and make new players feel awkward, or just leave a new player flailing. Don’t be that person. Give the newbie a chance to share the love of the hobby. With a kind attitude, you can set a good precedent and help build a positive D&D community around you.

contributed by Annie Bulloch

Tony Vargas

Legend
what I'm getting at is that a good starting character is one that lets new players get the swing of how things work without having to say "I cast my spell" only to find out they don't have anything else to do that session. It's one reason the wizard was often very frustrating in the days before cantrips.
Not really the case in 5e, though - even at 1st you have more than 1 spell slot, and even when they're gone, you have cantrips.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Also, part of the reason for doing it at the end of the session is that it doesn't cost playtime, and the player will have had just observed how their charater worked (or didn't) in play - and this works whether you're using pre-gens or if the players created their own characters (as was the case in my game).

This also has the benefit of allowing players to make a character based on some real experience, not just "hmmm, I'm not sure... wizard sounds fun... I guess." If they like what they have, cool, keep it or tweak it. If not, they can get an idea of what else they might want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibili

Explorer
The group I primarily play with has been doing so for 30+ years. If anyone was to join us, I know from experience that inclusivity is not an issue. We'd be, and have been, welcoming, helpful and encouraging. If there is a potential issue it's that we as friends know each other so well. We have 30 years of in-jokes, shared experiences, highs, lows, seeing each other's kids grow up, old funny pet rivalries which get continually revisited because it makes us laugh. We are super comfortable in our own skins and with each other. Having such a close knit group is, I am sure, very daunting for a new player. I know it is daunting socially for those outside the group, as attested to by our wives, as well as in a gaming scenario. I'm sure this is also the case in other well established groups and something for such groups to be aware of should they get new players involved.

I have also played with new groups, and I was definitely aware of not trying to give directions, not taking over in anyway, and giving the other players time and space to find their own level and pace, to test things out, make "mistakes". It was terrific fun. I put "mistakes" in quotes as there are no mistakes really, although new players often feel there are. I think they can see the rule books as a series of rules to be adhered to, as opposed to say my opinion that they are a framework, a set of guidelines to be sacrificed on the alter of fun as necessary. :) Thus I have seen new players say things like "can I do that?" or "but I'm probably not allowed". I think this is where the DM and established players can cut a lot of slack as you would with any person doing something new for the first time, that can potentially expose you to ridicule. I don't mean to imply that a group actually would ridicule someone, Lord knows I hope not! but it can feel that there is that potential to someone new, even more so if you do not really know the other players already on a social level and don't want to mess things up inside and outside the game. We also have to remember that if you are keen on the acting side of RPGs, as opposed to say the mechanics side, then it can take a lot of guts to put yourself out there so to speak, as a character in a game. Unless the new player actually is an actor or has that sort of experience, it is my observation that new players will put a lot of themselves, their own personality, into their first character. I know I did. You naturally draw on what you know best. This increases the perceived exposure of the new player.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
The group I primarily play with has been doing so for 30+ years. If anyone was to join us, I know from experience that inclusivity is not an issue. We'd be, and have been, welcoming, helpful and encouraging. If there is a potential issue it's that we as friends know each other so well. We have 30 years of in-jokes, shared experiences, highs, lows, seeing each other's kids grow up, old funny pet rivalries which get continually revisited because it makes us laugh.

IMO this is an issue with an old established group. I play with two, one that's been around since college and one I joined ten years ago that started with someone else's college group. It's not so much that we'd be ogres about charop or rules, but because the game is really more of a thing we do to get together and have been for years. There are in jokes that are two decades old, legacy enemies that make reappearance in different campaigns, and so on. One of my campaigns started in 1999 and is still running, although there have been numerous hiatuses. I think for a lot of new players who aren't used to that dynamic it would be very hard.

Vondren

First Post
I had a huge gap in playing. Played in school 80-85 then just started up again beginning of last year so even though i had all the basic concepts i still felt like a newb. Cool thing is i started in a new group with my 12 year old and 2 other newbies and 2 seasoned players that knew the basics of 5e. Never felt intimated and so glad my son and i are regulars in a great group of Now friends for life. We even have been hosting at our house for the last four month and my beatiful wife loves watching us play and wants to roll up a character how cool is that. Great article

Remove ads

Remove ads