• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon for Goliath Barbarian

Atzilla

First Post
Hi folks,
i need help with my barbarian. I cannot decide which weapon i should take.
Here is my build so far:

Goliath, Barbarian
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12.

AC: 15 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
HP: 33 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +7, Endurance +8, Athletics +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana -1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Intimidate +1, Perception, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise +1, Thievery

FEATS
Level 1:

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Devastating Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Recuperating Strike
Barbarian encounter 1: Avalanche Strike
Barbarian daily 1: Bloodhunt Rage

ITEMS
Hide Armor

For Paragorn i want to go Stoneblessed. I'd like to use a fullblade for the +1 to hit, but i can't get heavy blade mastery without raising dex and dropping con.
So i better use executioners axe or mordenkrad?
Any other suggestions?
Please help me! :hmm:

wolff96

First Post
Mordenkrad. If you're a Goliath, it's pretty much the best way to go, since you're going to have the Con to pick up all the hammer feats.

It has all the advantages of the axe, Hammer Rhythm is incredible, and that "Brutal 1" on a weapon that rolls 2d6... well, let's just say that I know of more than one DM that has house-ruled it for being broken. :)

Dreadite

First Post
Fullblade still has what I consider to be THE best weapon property pre-Vorpal though: "of Summer".

Property 1d8 fire damage on hit? Hurrah!

Eldorian

First Post
The warforged barbarian I made dropped his Con down, and upped his Dex, and uses the Fullblade instead of the Mordenkrad.

More dex = more init, more ref, more AC, and more stealth. I think it was worth it over the con.

SigmaX0

First Post
I'm making a very similar character for our next campaign, a Goliath Barbarian. Was thinking of MCing Fighter for Iron Vanguard or Dreadnought for Paragon though. (Similar to Lord Dusk Blade's Barbarian Bruiser build on char op forums)

I'm going to be the party's pseudo defender, so I think boosting Con is going to be vital for me, if you're playing alongside a real defender you could probably get away with Dex more easily.

I'm going with Mordenkrad, Hammer Rhythm will be great at lvl 11 because i'll be pumping Con all the way. Consider Avalanche Strike at level 1 (encounter), with a Mordenkrad gives an average damage of 32 on a hit (assuming your stat-array)

Both that and Executioner's seem like solid choices though. However, do you gain the benefit of Goliath Greatweapon Prowess with superior weapons?

Last edited:

Llamas Notsheep

First Post
If you're going with con, pick up the Mordenkrad for sure. Hammer rhythm is spectacular. Exe axe is always one of the best options, but if you have the con for the hammer feats, might as well grab it. You miss out on high crit, but hammer rhythm will more than make up for it (especially since you're not going with a crit fishing build).

If you decide to go with dex, though, fullblade is amazing. +3 prof, high crit, and heavy blade opportunity is one of the best feats around. For barbs, with their exceptionally high [W] attacks, fullblade does begin to fall a little bit behind because it doesn't have any brutal. But being able to use recuperating strike or pressing strike on an OA is a beautiful thing :)

Eldorian

First Post
I'm going to be the party's pseudo defender, so I think boosting Con is going to be vital for me, if you're playing alongside a real defender you could probably get away with Dex more easily.

1 more healing surge and 2 more HP vs 1 more AC, Ref, and Init? I pick the latter for a defender backup.

Con isn't the defender stat it used to be, unless you've got con modifier to healing surge value from something.

18 16 14 8 13 10 were my starting stats, its not like Con has been dumped there.

Hammer rhythm IS awesome though, I'll give you that. My build, however, is a crit fishing build, with a jagged weapon in paragon.

Shin Okada

Explorer
It depends highly on your party's configuration, but Greatspear is another good and interesting option because this is one of the best reach weapon.

You are a striker, not a defender. Your role is to inflict damages to opponents and not to lock some opponent in a place. While you are tough, your AC is not so great. So, if your party have some defenders or other high-AC characters, it is not a bad idea to have melee reach. You can attack opponents from safer place. You can attack something you cannot attack without reach. And it is better to have reach when an opponent has threatening reach. If you want, you can eventually have reach 3 by choosing PHB2 Goliath paragon path,

Eldorian

First Post
It depends highly on your party's configuration, but Greatspear is another good and interesting option because this is one of the best reach weapon.

You are a striker, not a defender. Your role is to inflict damages to opponents and not to lock some opponent in a place. While you are tough, your AC is not so great. So, if your party have some defenders or other high-AC characters, it is not a bad idea to have melee reach. You can attack opponents from safer place. You can attack something you cannot attack without reach. And it is better to have reach when an opponent has threatening reach. If you want, you can eventually have reach 3 by choosing PHB2 Goliath paragon path,

Reach means you can't charge into flanking, but it also means you can walk away after charging easier, so it's give and take.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads