• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Keyword: Smash

chronoplasm

First Post
Smash (Whenever an attack with this weapon misses, you may have it deal half damage to the target.)

Simple Two-Handed Weapons:

Mallot
Prof. +1
Damage. d6
Group: Hammer
Properties: Smash

Superior Two-Handed Weapons:

Zwiehander
Prof. +1
Damage. d10
Group: Heavy Blade
Properties: Smash

New Fighter power:

Just Roll With It Fighter Utility 2
At-Will. Martial
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: One of your attacks misses.
Effect: You may shift one square.

FireLance

Legend
The Smash property may be too good, especially when used with Encounter powers. How would it interact with powers that already deal damage on a miss?

Mesh Hong

First Post
I quite like the Fighter utility power, anything that keeps people moving about in combat is a good thing.

The Smash property on the other hand seems far too powerfull. You are giving a weapon the property of effectively never (really) missing and when coupled with encounter and daily powers this would change the dynamic of combat significantly.

I think it would work better if it was changed to an encounter property so that it could only be used once per combat. Even then it might still be too powerfull in the wrong hands.

DogBackward

First Post
That is far too powerful. The only way I'd even think of using something like that would be along the lines of:

Smashing 1:When you miss with an attack using this weapon and you would not otherwise deal damage on a miss, you deal 1 damage. If you are wielding the weapon in two hands, you deal twice this amount of damage instead.

And of course, weapons with a higher damage base (1d12 as opposed to 1d8 or so) could have "Smashing 2" instead of "Smashing 1".

Also, your power is an "Immediate Reaction", but you can't use Immediate actions during your own turn. It should be a free action. You might limit it to once per round if that's really a big deal, or add: "... you may shift 1 square. If you make multiple attack rolls as part of the same attack, you shift only one square, and only after all attacks are resolved." Personally, I'd make it an Encounter power and add: "... you may shift 1 square and gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of your next turn." But it's still pretty decent, once you fix the Immediate action problem.

Lakoda

First Post
WotC likes to think the different weapon groups are coupled with a specific ability score. So I would suggest making the damage something like half (minimum 1) your Con modifier (or which ever ability score applied to the weapon's type) on a miss. 1 point of damage may be not powerful enough, imo.

DogBackward

First Post
Well, that's why we have Smashing 1 for the usual 1-handed weapons and even lighter weapons, and Smashing 2 and even 3 for heavier, two-handers. And while Wizards does tend to key weapon types to ability scores, that's for actual weapon groups (axes, blades, etc...) not qualities. Not to mention, they're never actually part of the weapon, only part of the feats and such you can choose to use with the weapon. No weapon should ever force you to have a certain ability score at a certain level to be able to use it the way it was intended.

VBMEW-01

First Post
This is good stuff, between smashing and brutal...that's a lot of death!

I PDF'd this for my own collection and thought I'd throw it up here for ya'll.

Attachments

• Smashing Weapons (EnWorld) (Fighter power).pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 138

Remove ads