• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Proficiencies

The Edge

First Post
Ive had a player have a slight moan about Weapon Proficiencies and how their gained. The main part of the issue was that he disliked haveing to spend a feat, which he considered to valuble.

Im thinking that something along these lines has probably come up here before, have there been any past ideas on alternatives for gaining proficiency in something? He talked about maybe he could spend a few skill points instead. An idea I had was that it could possibly be related in some way to XP gained with the weapon. Im not going to change anything unless its worth it, but I do see his point.

Any ideas, old and new, would be apreciated.

Bryon_Soulweaver

First Post
If s/he is a fighter, then they dont have to worry about taking it as a feet, they get full number of feets at 12th or 13th level. But you could always trade martial weapons for 3-5 exodic weapon choices.

The Edge

First Post
The player that brought it up was a rogue. He wanted to use shuriken, but unless im wrong they're clased as exotic. It was more of a generel dislike of that part of the rules than wanting one specific fix, but thats what caused it.

JimAde

First Post
While shuriken are certainly not game-breaking, some of the exotic weapons are pretty powerful (spiked chain, anyone?) so a feat is worth it. If it fits his background you could just give him the proficiency. Seems like something an oriental-style rogue would have.

I think this needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis since the exotic weapons vary so much in power.

The Edge

First Post
I was thinking of leting him use some shuriken anyway. He's not an oriental type, a goblin in fact. But since he can thown daggers, I thought it was fair enough to let him use the knife like kuni ones. Ive yet to say anything though.

Exotic Throwing knifes..

The difference between the Rogue tossing a Knife and a Shuriken is less damage, a Feat, and..
SRD said:
Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them and what happens to them after they are thrown.

Figuring the Feat pays for the cheap enhancements, I would say, for this character, put a new weapon on the list and grant it to Rogues as part of thier class:

Throwing Spike (5) 1 gp 1d2 1d2 20/x2 10 ft. 1 lb. Piercing

It is not considers ammunition as needs to be enhanced individually, and usually searched for after the fight :)

Sravoff

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
Figuring the Feat pays for the cheap enhancements, I would say, for this character, put a new weapon on the list and grant it to Rogues as part of thier class:

Throwing Spike (5) 1 gp 1d2 1d2 20/x2 10 ft. 1 lb. Piercing

I agree

-Sravoff

Remove ads