• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons for a small druid. Help!

Mahali

Explorer
How about an 1/6 staff medium size (1d4+1/1d4+1) and a Super shortspear medium size(1d6)?
The only weapons they can use one-handed are dagger, dart, sling and they can't even use a quarterstaff, longspear, and shortspear.

graydoom

First Post
If your DM would allow it, you could scale down all the druid weapon proficiencies. For example, instead of being proficient with the scimitar (1d6 damage), you would be proficient with the small scimitar (1d4 damage), and so on. This keeps the weapons the same relative size for your small PC, and scales down the damage. There's a chart for scaling weapon damage up and down, but I haven't been able to find it. Try the DMG, and S&F if you have it.
Using the weapons you mentioned, a medium quarterstaff would be 1d4/1d4, and a medium shortspear would do 1d6 damage.
Since you are a small character, it is logical to think that you would have trained with smaller versions of the weapons. Of course, as a consequence of this it would be fair for the DM to rule that you aren't proficient with normal-sized weapons that you would normally be proficient with.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
There's a chart for scaling weapon damage up and down, but I haven't been able to find it. Try the DMG, and S&F if you have it.

It's in the PHB.

Check the Righteous Might spell description.

What do you mean, you never thought to look there? Isn't it logical? :)

-Hyp.

graydoom

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
What do you mean, you never thought to look there? Isn't it logical? :)

-Hyp.
How could I have ever forgotten to look under Righteous Might! I mean, I just can't see how I missed it in such an obvious place :rolleyes:

I actually had never really taken notice of that before. Thanks for alerting me to it, though... now that I know it's there I can refer to it without needing whatever other book it's in. Of course, the rules are pretty obvious, so I probably wouldn't need to refer to it anyway, but I did learn something new. Namely, the WotC employess were definitely on something when they cooked up the idea of putting there and nowhere else :rolleyes:.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And in the DMG - page 162.

I wish it addressed the effect on Reach, though.

Under the present system, if you scale a Glaive down to Medium, it'd do 1d8 damage and still have Reach.

One-handed Reach weapons sound dangerous.

-Hyp.

Wolfspirit

First Post
A lance has reach and is a one handed weapon for medium creatures (allthough I do find it amusing thinking about a halfling wielding a weapon with reach).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A lance has reach and is a one handed weapon for medium creatures (allthough I do find it amusing thinking about a halfling wielding a weapon with reach).

Yeah, but a lance is a special case.

I wouldn't allow it to be used one-handed on foot as a DM. It's Medium so a mounted character can use it in one hand and use a shield.

By the rules, there's nothing stopping you using a heavy lance in each hand with a -4/-4 penalty on the ground (with Ambi and 2WF). But it's silly.

-Hyp.

Mahali

Explorer
Ah, thanks. I knew it was in the PHB somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Lance, Light (for small characters) doesn't have reach. On the Weapons table only the Lance,Heavy has the symbol that denotes it as "Reach weapon."
(typing and grammer edit)

Last edited:

Remove ads