• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons for a small druid. Help!

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Mahali said:
Lance, Light (for small characters) doesn't have reach. On the Weapons table only the Lance,Heavy has the symbol that denotes it as "Reach weapon."

I'm confused. Who thought the light lance had reach?

Crothian

First Post
I think from the general statement that lances have reach. The author didn't specify light or heavy. That may have cause some confusion.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
By the rules, a halfling could use a lance with reach. A heavy lance. In two hands.

Which is silly, but it's in the rules.

Or he could use it one-handed with a shield, on his riding dog, using Monkey Grip.

I'm not sure if that's better... or even sillier :)

-Hyp.

Kesh

First Post
Mahali said:
The only weapons they can use one-handed are dagger, dart, sling and they can't even use a quarterstaff, longspear, and shortspear.

They can also use a sickle. That's what I usually give to my gnome/halfling druid.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

It's in the PHB.

Check the Righteous Might spell description.

What do you mean, you never thought to look there? Isn't it logical? :)

-Hyp.
I thought it was in the heavy crossbow description.

Oh wait, that's where they say two-weapon fighting only applies to melee weapons.

--Out-of-Place Spikey

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I thought it was in the heavy crossbow description.

Oh wait, that's where they say two-weapon fighting only applies to melee weapons.

I wonder.

If you scaled up a light crossbow from Small to Large, would you get a Large light crossbow, that a Medium character could use two-handed, doing 2d8 damage, and requiring a MEA to reload?

-Hyp.

graydoom

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

I wonder.

If you scaled up a light crossbow from Small to Large, would you get a Large light crossbow, that a Medium character could use two-handed, doing 2d8 damage, and requiring a MEA to reload?

-Hyp.
In theory, I guess you could... but I think most DMs would disallow it because the crossbow and heavy crossbow already fill those slots... and because crossbows are somewhat "special".

Oh, and on Lances... you could rule that they are only usable at that size when used on a mount. Using a lance on foot would entail a non-proficiency penalty (because the lance isn't mean to be used that way) and would treat it as 1 size larger than listed. The way the current rules go, a Heavy Lance is just as good as a Longspear... and you can still use a shield!... or another Heavy Lance. Mmmmm. Dual wielding Heavy Lances... heh heh heh.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The way the current rules go, a Heavy Lance is just as good as a Longspear... and you can still use a shield!... or another Heavy Lance. Mmmmm. Dual wielding Heavy Lances... heh heh heh. [/B]

See what I mean? Silly! :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads