D&D 5E Weapons Table

Double - A Doubleweapon has two ends, each with their own entry. Enchantments to a Double weaponapply to each end if applicable. Wielding a double weapon with which yourproficient grants you +1 AC. A Double weapon with the thrown property is notlost upon being thrown.
Is there any interaction between double weapons and the two-weapon fighting rules?

What is the difference between a fullstaff and a quarterstaff? Are they both meant to have finesse, even though the spear equivalent of the fullstaff doesn't seem to? Just what the heck is a fullstaff anyway? The image that comes to mind is a long, hefty staff, rather like an actual quarterstaff, but this seems to be a one-handed weapon.

Cahulaks. If I recall correctly these are the "two-grappling hooks used as nunchaku" abomination from the school of ensuring your enemies don't kill you by making your own weapon more dangerous to you than theirs'.
. . . a Finesse, Heavy, double weapon with reach that can be thrown. Really? I mean I have conceptual issues with having a finesse, heavy weapon, but this looks like a balance issue there as well.

Speaking of nunchaku, are these really meant to be possible to easily dual-wield? They also seem rather worse than a club, and even more odd, no longer usable by Monks.
What stats would the standard warhammer use? Light hammer?
You've taken the Ranged classification away from the Dart. Was this to prevent throwing weapons having an option that let you use the Sharpshooter damage boost?
Clubs and Maces: how does weighting and reinforcing a stick with metal make it into a less effective weapon?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
What is the difference between a fullstaff and a quarterstaff? Are they both meant to have finesse, even though the spear equivalent of the fullstaff doesn't seem to? Just what the heck is a fullstaff anyway? The image that comes to mind is a long, hefty staff, rather like an actual quarterstaff, but this seems to be a one-handed weapon.
A Quarterstaff is a short staff to the point where a two-handed grip wouldn't be benefical. A Fullstaff is (a play on "quarter" and) long enough that it can be wielded two-handed, but not so unwieldy that it can't be wielded two-handed.

Cahulaks. If I recall correctly these are the "two-grappling hooks used as nunchaku" abomination from the school of ensuring your enemies don't kill you by making your own weapon more dangerous to you than theirs'.
. . . a Finesse, Heavy, double weapon with reach that can be thrown. Really? I mean I have conceptual issues with having a finesse, heavy weapon, but this looks like a balance issue there as well.
Balance-wise Finesse may be an issue, but I put it in for my table to playtest. Conceptually what's wrong with a heavy swinging weapon being equally reliant on how you swing and pivot it as it is how hard you do so?

Speaking of nunchaku, are these really meant to be possible to easily dual-wield? They also seem rather worse than a club, and even more odd, no longer usable by Monks.
The Monks would have what counts rewritten (basically a must with the any new weapon table). Obviously the Nunchaku would be one of the martial weapons they can use.

What stats would the standard warhammer use? Light hammer?
Whelp, since apparently I'd forgotten the Maul was a thing the Warhammer would now use the Warhammer's stats :p

You've taken the Ranged classification away from the Dart. Was this to prevent throwing weapons having an option that let you use the Sharpshooter damage boost?
Mainly because I don't see why you couldn't shank someone with one of these:
[sblock]
320px-Plumbata.JPG
[/sblock]

Clubs and Maces: how does weighting and reinforcing a stick with metal make it into a less effective weapon?
Pass, question too difficult :p
It may be because it focuses on other areas than pure damage mechanically. Clubs are pure power with no frills, where as maces can bruise, tear and pierce.

Brutal (1) as written gives identical damage to an increase of 1 dice size. Anything above that makes brutal the best choice, so it's either pointless or overpowered.
As I understand it, its not 4e Brutal. A Brutal [1] d8 weapon rolls again when you roll and 8 to damage. A Brutal [2] d8 weapon would roll again when you roll a 7 or 8 etc.

Thrown and finesse should be free. Finesse in particular is highly desirable.
Being desirable is an argument for not making them free. They are both advantageous, thus a system with the intent of balance would cost both properties.

Double's still kinda experimental. Yes you can TWF without either having to be light, and it boosts AC by one. It's basically the main portion of Dual Wielder.
That's very powerful. Extremely powerful when taking into account its use at range. How did you cost it?

Reload 1-2 is treated as twice as restrictive as Loading. 3-4 is treated as equivalent to Loading, and 5+ is treated as a non-entity.
Loading property is similar in power to Reload 1 (Loading doesn't take a separate action, but Reload can get two shots off in the first round.) From then on, Reload increases in power.
When you spend an action or bonus action to reload a Reload weapon, do you only load one piece of ammunition into it, or its full capacity?

Because choices. I choose for them to be :p
I abandoned historical preference in favour of weaponized sledge hammers.
Isn't that already the Maul?

Hillsy7

First Post
Most probably yes, I took a break between working on it so there may be weapons that slipped through the cracks.
Ah ok cool - yeah my main criticism of the current PHB weapon list is that it makes choosing certain weapons for flavour a poorer choice for weapon damage/veratility. Granted it's minimal, but it's still there.

Double's still kinda experimental. Yes you can TWF without either having to be light, and it boosts AC by one. It's basically the main portion of Dual Wielder.
For me, if I plan on dual wielding I immediately take Cahulaks, it has loads of properties, gets around the light requirements, AND it's finesse AND I get half a shield! It makes pretty much every other Double weapon or light weapon combo obsolete. It's really hard to balance I agree - I tried myself and all I did was remove the light restriction and made the off hand attack 1 dice smaller, and I'm still not sure it's not a bit better than 2 short swords.

Brutal 1 gives an increase to X/(X-1), where X is the die size. That's not a die size by a long shot. (Brutal 2+ there is no easy maths for.)
Brutal (1) on a 1d8 roll means you will roll between 2 and 9, which is the same average damage as 1d10: 5.5. Brutal (2) on a 1d8 would equal AVERAGE(4.5+1, 4.5+2,3,4,5,6,7,8) or 45/8, or 5.625, so a negligible improvement.

Is that a should or a shouldn't? Originally I had finesse costing and light being free but die restricted iirc, but then I swapped it because it matched the vanilla table closer.
Ooops. Yeah shouldn't be free. When I mathed it out I had Thrown and finesse down as half dice (rounded down), maybe ignore if its the only perk, but bring it down by a dice if there are other present?

Ranged has the massive boost of not being adjacent to the enemy.
Ranged has the massive drawback of being at disadvantage if something's next to you. But as I said, you can argue about this forever.

Reload 1-2 is treated as twice as restrictive as Loading. 3-4 is treated as equivalent to Loading, and 5+ is treated as a non-entity.
. Reloading with a bonus action means you attack when you want, just lose bonus actions. Great if you're light on bonus action options. Loading limits you to 1 attack regardless, a significant drawback for a multiattack class.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
As I understand it, its not 4e Brutal. A Brutal [1] d8 weapon rolls again when you roll and 8 to damage. A Brutal [2] d8 weapon would roll again when you roll a 7 or 8 etc.
Yup, Brutal is now exploding dice.

That's very powerful. Extremely powerful when taking into account its use at range. How did you cost it?
At the moment, I haven't really >_<

Loading property is similar in power to Reload 1 (Loading doesn't take a separate action, but Reload can get two shots off in the first round.) From then on, Reload increases in power.
I assume 2 attacks per round to be the average. Loading is a gooey trait as the fast majority of cases it's on a crossbow, which has the Crossbow Expert feat.
When you spend an action or bonus action to reload a Reload weapon, do you only load one piece of ammunition into it, or its full capacity?
It reloads to full I believe.

Isn't that already the Maul?
Yes, yes it is. Which is why I quietly changed the Warhammer :p

For me, if I plan on dual wielding I immediately take Cahulaks, it has loads of properties, gets around the light requirements, AND it's finesse AND I get half a shield! It makes pretty much every other Double weapon or light weapon combo obsolete. It's really hard to balance I agree - I tried myself and all I did was remove the light restriction and made the off hand attack 1 dice smaller, and I'm still not sure it's not a bit better than 2 short swords.
It's a hard one. It should be stronger than two one-handed weapons (because you can't swap out individual weapons, it's easier to disarm, because it's cool, etc.), but not overly so. I tried to put most of the advantages on the Double property so that the ends could just be stated as regular one-handed weapons.

Brutal (1) on a 1d8 roll means you will roll between 2 and 9, which is the same average damage as 1d10: 5.5. Brutal (2) on a 1d8 would equal AVERAGE(4.5+1, 4.5+2,3,4,5,6,7,8) or 45/8, or 5.625, so a negligible improvement.
For Brutal 1, here's the maths.

Ooops. Yeah shouldn't be free. When I mathed it out I had Thrown and finesse down as half dice (rounded down), maybe ignore if its the only perk, but bring it down by a dice if there are other present?
I considered both the half die and conditional costs, but had dismissed them as inelegant. I might go back to half dice.

Ranged has the massive drawback of being at disadvantage if something's next to you.
Which is when you pull a dagger or otherwise finessed weapon out :p
But as you said, we can argue about this forever.

Reloading with a bonus action means you attack when you want, just lose bonus actions. Great if you're light on bonus action options. Loading limits you to 1 attack regardless, a significant drawback for a multiattack class.
Precisely. I consider reloading once per turn to be a big drawback, once every other turn a so-so drawback, and once every three or more turns a non-issue as the battle is mostly decided in those three turns.

Hillsy7

First Post
Ooops. Misread brutal.

Maths put brutal 1 1d8 at 39/8, or 2d4, or half a step up. Brutal 2 is 44/8, or 5.5, or 1d10. The balance is better for smaller weapons. Makes taking a brutal 1 weapon worse, but gives swingier damage.

I actually quite like the exploding dice idea actually regardless of the numbers

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Ooops. Misread brutal.

Maths put brutal 1 1d8 at 39/8, or 2d4, or half a step up. Brutal 2 is 44/8, or 5.5, or 1d10. The balance is better for smaller weapons. Makes taking a brutal 1 weapon worse, but gives swingier damage.

I actually quite like the exploding dice idea actually regardless of the numbers

Yeah, exploding dice are nice. Lower dice sizes are compensated by increased odds. Only thing to watch out for is it has to be priced per die, for weapons that deal 2d6 or 3d4 damage.

At the moment, I haven't really >_<
Its basically granting the Dual-wielder feat for free. Plus the benefits of a ranged attack without loading property or the limitations of drawing throwing weapons.

I assume 2 attacks per round to be the average. Loading is a gooey trait as the fast majority of cases it's on a crossbow, which has the Crossbow Expert feat.
2 attacks a round is more than most characters can ever perform, and is as any as most martial characters are ever able to perform. Only a couple of classes ever get more than that, and only at the end of the average adventurer's career.

It's a hard one. It should be stronger than two one-handed weapons (because you can't swap out individual weapons, it's easier to disarm, because it's cool, etc.), but not overly so. I tried to put most of the advantages on the Double property so that the ends could just be stated as regular one-handed weapons.
Put it like this . . .
It grants the benefits of two, usually mutually incompatible feats for free, even before taking into account a combination generally regarded as out-of-balance, and several other beneficial properties.
You can gain the GWM extra damage, with a guaranteed additional attack, at reach, all with the benefits of being able to max Dex and dump Str. Plus the aforementioned ranged benefits.

The conceptual aspect is the idea that the effectiveness of the weapon is independent of the force with which it is wielded. Skill (Proficiency bonus) plays the most important part, but the force that the wielder can apply to a weapon will determine its speed and control; - particularly with a significantly heavy weapon. Grace and balance are still useful in a fight, but more in avoiding attacks and not leaving their opponent an opening, compared to the athleticism of the wielder, which is more useful when striking.
Think of a weak, unathletic person trying to use a heavy weapon: It will take them longer to accelerate the weapon for a swing, giving their opponent more time to block or avoid. They will have more trouble changing direction or angle of a strike to attempt to bypass their opponent's defence, and when the weapon is stopped, whether by successful hit, or block, it will take them longer to recover it into guard or another strike.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
2 attacks a round is more than most characters can ever perform, and is as any as most martial characters are ever able to perform. Only a couple of classes ever get more than that, and only at the end of the average adventurer's career.
Indeed. It is, however, also the most common. 5 classes and 2 subclasses get extra attack. Certainly all but one martial class gets extra attack.

Remove ads