D&D 5E Weapons Table

Hillsy7

First Post
Yeah, exploding dice are nice. Lower dice sizes are compensated by increased odds. Only thing to watch out for is it has to be priced per die, for weapons that deal 2d6 or 3d4 damage.

Ooof. 3d4 brutal 1 would be averaging nearly 9.5 per roll, or the equivalent of a d18! Brutal 2 would put that at 11.25! Plus Stat Mod!

Yeah that's seriously OP compared to other weapons.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Ooof. 3d4 brutal 1 would be averaging nearly 9.5 per roll, or the equivalent of a d18! Brutal 2 would put that at 11.25! Plus Stat Mod!

Yeah that's seriously OP compared to other weapons.

Thankfully there's not enough points for a 3d4 Brutal 1 to exist.
A 2d4 or 2d6 Brutal 1 is possible enough though.

Brutal 2 I'm pretty sure can also only exist on single-die weapons.

Hillsy7

First Post
Thankfully there's not enough points for a 3d4 Brutal 1 to exist.
A 2d4 or 2d6 Brutal 1 is possible enough though.

Brutal 2 I'm pretty sure can also only exist on single-die weapons.

That does put 2d6 brutal 1 at 8.16 damage. Making 3d4 a lesser option despite being the same points. Though granted that's a very specific case....

Ganymede81

First Post
Why not simply make all of the weapons do the same damage per size class and instead use feats or class features to enhance, alter, or add riders to weapon attacks?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Yup, which is where the majority of damage will come from anyway.

I might end up switching it up such that modifiers are determined per weapon.

Bows, shurikens, and daggers have always suffered in D&D because of the weight of the weapon. In the hands of any teenager, these weapons can do as much or more damage in less time as any heay weapon. Back in AD&D days, however, there were what is now refered to as homebrews/unearthed arcana which assigned the damage to the type of ammunition being used which were very effective.
If you wanted to do more damage you just paid more per arrow, dart, dagger, shuriken, whatever because the blades were made differently.
For example, flight arrows increased range, broadheads increased damage, tri-blade daggers inflicted more damage plus bleeding, barbed darts inflicted more damage plus bleed, same for barbed shurikens plus you could throw more in a single attack and each would do its listed damage as a single die roll x the number thrown (up to 5 plus dex modifer).
In later additions, the writing for weapons got lax, less weapons were covered with each update and less thought went into the actual damage and damage type, as damage types became less and less important. Back then, a weapon's damage type was compared to the armor worn by the target to produce damage modifiers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using EN World mobile app

Remove ads