• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons that throw

Hennet

First Post
Is a bullet from a sling a thrown weapon? More broadly if you use an implement to throw something (like one of those jai-alai baskets to throw a ball or an atl-atl (sp?) to throw a javelin) is it still considered a thrown weapon for halflings and such. It seems odd if halflings don't get a bonus on stones they throw with slings.

kreynolds

First Post
Hennet said:
Is a bullet from a sling a thrown weapon?

If the bullet was throwin with the sling, no, it's ranged weapon ammunition in all respects. If you throw it with your hand, well, yeah, then it's a thrown weapon.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Hennet said:
Is a bullet from a sling a thrown weapon?......It seems odd if halflings don't get a bonus on stones they throw with slings.

A sling is a projectile weapon. The bullet/stone is its ammunition. It is not a thrown weapon (you do not throw a stone with a sling, you sling or fire it). Halflings, therefore, do not get there thown weapon attack bonus when using a sling, bow, or any other projectile weapon.

Crothian

First Post
While you might not get your halfing to hit bonus for a thrown weapon, projectile weapons have a distance of 10 range increments instead of 5. That's pretty good.

Hennet

First Post
Re: Re: Weapons that throw

Dr. Zoom said:

A sling is a projectile weapon. The bullet/stone is its ammunition. It is not a thrown weapon (you do not throw a stone with a sling, you sling or fire it). Halflings, therefore, do not get there thown weapon attack bonus when using a sling, bow, or any other projectile weapon.

I get your point and it seems everyone agrees with you. But your semantics point about not throwing things with a sling is wrong. From Merriam-Webster:

sling: an instrument for throwing stones that usually consists of a short strap with strings fastened to its ends and is whirled round to discharge its missile by centrifugal force.

The emphasis is mine, but I think most people would find the notion of "firing" a sling odder than "throwing a stone" with a sling. Maybe you'd fire a slingshot, but it's not a word I'd use to describe the use of a real sling.

And no, Vadania, Liddia isn't the trouble. Rather, this is another example of corporate fat cats using rulespeak to de-empower the little people. Halflings don't get a sling bonus--Feh! WOTC's probably bulldozing oaks to put up shopping malls, too.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Weapons that throw

Hennet said:
The emphasis is mine, but I think most people would find the notion of "firing" a sling odder than "throwing a stone" with a sling. Maybe you'd fire a slingshot, but it's not a word I'd use to describe the use of a real sling.

Do you have a point or a you just desparately seeking any possible avenues that will allow your halfing to get a sling bonus? ;) I find your quoting of the sling from the dictionary rather odd because I don't see how the quote applies in any way, shape, or form, especially if you are arguing semantecs. If you truly believe that firing a sling stone from a sling should be considered throwing, just look up the weapon description in the PHB. This is pretty much a dead end argument.

Last edited:

Hennet

First Post
I now understand that halflings don't get their thrown weapon bonus with slings. I quoted the dictionary because the poster said that slings don't throw stones and from the way he posted it I understood him to mean that outside of the game definition. So, I was pointing out that the question arose because in standard, every day English, slings throw stones.

It wasn't an argument against the rule. It was an argument against...oh whatever, you're right, it's irrelevant.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Hennet: I was using the D&D distinction between thrown weapons and projectile weapons. A sling is a projectile weapon and not a thrown weapon for game purposes.

My comment in parentheses was metagame and meant for clarification. I see that it was not accurate according to Webster and that is good enough for me. Thanks for pointing that out.

In any event, by the rules, halflings don't get their bonus with slings.

Remove ads