• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weapons You Miss

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
5e is great, don't get me wrong. In simplifying things, though, the weapon list was reduced significantly from earlier editions. Some of the weapons (like broadswords, many polearms, dire flails, etc.) were deservedly put on the chopping block, but there are others that are missed.

So, my EN Fam, what weapons from earlier editions that aren't in 5e do you miss the most?

For me, it's garrotes, scythes, long spears, whip-daggers, bolas, chakram, repeating crossbows, and specialty arrows (sheaf, flight, et al.).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
They’re ranged weapons, so they interact normally with abilities that interact with ranged weapons. They’re also thrown weapons, so they interact normally with abilities that interact with thrown weapons.
After reading the PHB, I agree with this. Darts are listed a simple ranged weapons. They have the thrown property, but they are still ranged weapons.

I want the Head Spike from the Complete Book of Dwarves to return. Let me make a character that stabs monsters with their head.

But I also want to mention how 2e outright included the arquebus in the core book. I think a lot of people ignored it, but it was such a bold move for the game. And then Spelljammer doubled down on firearms.

But really, if I wanted a particular piece of equipment back, it'd be banded mail. I don't know why, but I just love the look of the stuff.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
. Composite bows can just cost more and have Finesse,
... I think I don't understand. Bows already add dex to damage. What do you mean here?

Edit: I see you already answered the question. I think it would only be impactful if bows didn't add dex to damage already... otherwise, it will only be for the edge case of the low dex, high strenght warrior using a bow, and with those stats most of the time they would rather be in melee anyway...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads