• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weapons You Miss

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
5e is great, don't get me wrong. In simplifying things, though, the weapon list was reduced significantly from earlier editions. Some of the weapons (like broadswords, many polearms, dire flails, etc.) were deservedly put on the chopping block, but there are others that are missed.

So, my EN Fam, what weapons from earlier editions that aren't in 5e do you miss the most?

For me, it's garrotes, scythes, long spears, whip-daggers, bolas, chakram, repeating crossbows, and specialty arrows (sheaf, flight, et al.).

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
One thing i will give the 5e weapon list credit for though is the maul. Is this the first time that a 2-handed hammer has been in the basic PHB weapon list as a mechanical equal to greatswords and greataxes?
No. 4e did it first.
Maul (PHB): +2 proficiency, 2d6 damage, hammer group.
Greataxe (PHB): +2 proficiency, 1d12 damage, axe group, high crit property.
Greatsword (PHB): +3 proficiency, 1d10 damage, heavy blade group.

It's the "reliable damage" option, where the greatsword is "precise but slightly weaker" and the greataxe is "when it hits hard, it hits hard."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If it was back in the game, you could have low level quest givers troll player characters by asking for a "Bohemian ear fork" and a "Bohemian ear knife." (Both of which sound much scarier than a "spoon.")
yeah when I actually got to see what a Bohemian Ear Spoon looked like I was really disappointed, it didnt look anywhere as fearsome as my imagination had twisted it

Li Shenron

Legend
I generally miss the 3e weapon list where the extra details made it so that practically every weapon had a reason to be chosen.

I also generally feel that 5e hasn't explored non-magical weapons & armors & shields equipment at all.

Perhaps these are a bit beyond the scope or concept of 5e, but I think a small expansion "module" would be neat.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
5e is great, don't get me wrong. In simplifying things, though, the weapon list was reduced significantly from earlier editions. Some of the weapons (like broadswords, many polearms, dire flails, etc.) were deservedly put on the chopping block, but there are others that are missed.

So, my EN Fam, what weapons from earlier editions that aren't in 5e do you miss the most?

For me, it's garrotes, scythes, long spears, whip-daggers, bolas, chakram, repeating crossbows, and specialty arrows (sheaf, flight, et al.).
I miss the Normal Sword. One set of statistics for whatever the prominent weapon was in the culture. While we can argue the semantics of battle with a scimitar vs. arming sword or whatever, there are more similarities than differences and I miss the rules just acknowledging that.

Especially since, starting near the end of the TSR era, scimitars got nerfed into silliness and I never really understood why.

Remove ads