• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Web hosting

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
After years of telling myself I'm going to do, I've decided to finally put together a website for my campaigns and my world. The problem is, I have no clue where to decent (and perferrably cheap) hosting. Would anyone have any recommendations?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Kweezil said:
After years of telling myself I'm going to do, I've decided to finally put together a website for my campaigns and my world. The problem is, I have no clue where to decent (and perferrably cheap) hosting. Would anyone have any recommendations?

I use www.123ehost.com for my hosting. I've found the price excellent and the service just as good. Plus, in the nearly 3 years I've been with them my site has only been down twice.

Yair

Community Supporter
I use yahoo's geocities. They are sometimes down and you have some commercials, but it is free and has reasonably large volume. (You can start paying for better conditions, of course.) For a homebrew site, I think it is very appropriate; if you are aiming for lots of traffic and/or space you will need something more serious.

drothgery

First Post
Your ISP probably gives you 5-10 MB of free web space. For a campaign web site -- which is probably going to be a bunch of mostly-text static web pages -- that's more than enough.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
drothgery said:
Your ISP probably gives you 5-10 MB of free web space. For a campaign web site -- which is probably going to be a bunch of mostly-text static web pages -- that's more than enough.

There are two drawbacks to this.

One, if you have graphics you will need more storage. Even .gif and .png can take up space.

Two, popularity. As Pirate Cat can tell you, a popular site eats up bandwidth like nobody's business. You may not wind up with a popular site, but you never know.

The Web Host Directory can help you find space, either through a search, or by posting to the appropriate forum (registration required). If you'd much rather look through the many hosts out there, you can always go to the Google Directory's Web Host page. But, you will find lots of hosts this way, some of whom won't fit your criteria.

As an alternative you may want to consider starting a web log. Aka, a blog. A number of ENWorlders have a Live Journal. Or you can tryout the services at places such as Blogger or Xanga. If you want a community site there is Blog-city and Free Conversant

If you want a combination website and blog you could use a service like Bloghosts (my hosts), who will install blogging software for you. Or a standard web host such as Total Choice Hosting (who's domain registration subsidiary handles my domain), who provide a site management system that includes a utility that will auto-install the blogging software for you.

BTW, the first provides 500 megs of space and 15 gigs of bandwidth a month for $10.00 US and they'll install the Movable Type blogging app for you; while the second offers 1 gig of space and 35 gigs of bandwidth for $8.95 US, but you have to install Movable Type yourself should you decide to use that.

I hope this isn't too much information.

In any case, good luck.

Last edited:

haiiro

First Post
In the past four years, I've hosted two sites with DreamHost (http://www.dreamhost.com/). $9.95 per month (less if you prepay) gets you a lot of hosting (800 MB storage, 40 GB bandwidth, etc.), plus they'll register your domain name for free.

You can do a ton of management stuff over the web through their site, and their support team answers email very promptly (generally within a couple of hours). I've never really had any problems with them, and their plans have gotten better without going up in price over the years. I can't recommend DH strongly enough. :)

Namfoddle

First Post
If you're creating a rather small page, yahoo-geocities will work fine. I have my account there as well. The free web-space is sufficient if you're don't use too many pics.

You'll have to live with the advertisement, though, if you don't want to pay for the webspace. I didn't experience too many downtimes lately.

random user

First Post
I also use Dreamhost for my site (in sig) and they are awesome. They are proactive, they've been around for a long time, and have great uptime.

The other great thing about them is as they have made their new plans better, they have auto-converted people on their old plans (which is probably standard practice but I've heard of some hosts not doing it).

The other thing about Dreamhost is if you ever decide you want to do anything more complicated, they probably support it (They support shell accounts, perl/php/mysql, multi-person ftp, multi-person email, etc.) (And I think they support it with all of their plans.)

Last edited:

eris404

Explorer
Namfoddle said:
If you're creating a rather small page, yahoo-geocities will work fine. I have my account there as well. The free web-space is sufficient if you're don't use too many pics.

You'll have to live with the advertisement, though, if you don't want to pay for the webspace. I didn't experience too many downtimes lately.

And if you don't want the ads, it's fairly cheap to get rid of them. Yahoo has one type that I think is $3.95 per month (US). It doesn't give you a domain name, it just gets rid of the ads.

I pay for hosting at Brinkster.com, but it also has free accounts that have a discrete banner at the top. No pop-ups that I can see (although I use the Google pop-up blocker).

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
Wow, thanks for all the info, and the quick replies. Now I guess I have to weigh things up and make a few decisions.

Remove ads