Weem and the Caves of Chaos

weem

First Post
Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it ;)

I will put out a "player" version in the next day or two (numbers, etc removed) so stay tuned if you think you could use that (I will update this post with a link, etc).

Any special requests for a player version? I never use these in VTT's etc, so I'm not sure of additional considerations for that kind of format.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Any special requests for a player version? I never use these in VTT's etc, so I'm not sure of additional considerations for that kind of format.

People still have their own preference for what they do and don't want in a VTT map.

I bet people would appreciate 2 versions:

The most common version is probably one with the room numbers, text, & "S" symbols for secret areas removed.

The other version (which I prefer) would include removing the doors so people can place "animated" doors with their VTT program. Remove the room numbers, text, and all of the "S" symbols. And remove any lights (torches, sconces, etc etc) so we can place our own lights that turn on and off.

Then, for both of these versions you would probably want one with grids and one without grids.

grodog

Hero

If you could do the player view with layers, that show the caves individually as you progress through them (in basically 60 foot steps, based on the limits of infravision and continual light radius), I think that would rock :D

Some other ideas:
- a wilderness-style "first view" of the valley showing just the trees (this time filled in dark green and obscuring the ground), and only showing the cave mouths that would be visible (i.e., A, E, G, H and others are hidden by the trees)
- definitely hide the secret doors/rooms, the covered pit by A1 (it should look like floor until sprung), and cover up the length of 51 by showing just the collapsed rubble
- make the cave walls and corridors more irregular where appropriate---compare the corridor leading to 64 in your map vs. the original, and the original is rougher and not sharp-edged
- add contour line heights back to the map (they're in 25 foot increments)
- correct your key to read "dais" not "dias" (it's wrong in the original...)

All of this is based on no idea what VTT is/means, just on wanting to be able to use the map to show the gradual progress of exploration.

weem

First Post
Thanks for the feedback!

I now have a "Player" version at each size - you can see them all here again.

I kept the player version simple, so it may not work well for everyone, but I think it will be good for many. Essentially it has the trees, secret doors, secret rooms, traps and room numbers removed.

Thanks for the "dias" catch [MENTION=7993]Nikosandros[/MENTION], I have updated that as well. I also added in contour height markers.

Anyway, thanks again everyone - it's good to know so many people will get some use out of it ;)

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Thanks, I had a ton of fun working on it ;)

I'm blown away by this map. I've printed it out so I can use it with the 5th Edition playtest! And to think, I found your map only after I printed the lousy blue one and spent a long time agonizing over room positions before writing in the numbers with pen.

:)

Remove ads