• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weighing in on 5e

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
But there is also a business truism that sates, "customers don't know what they really want or need until you show them."

Whatever you think of Steve Jobs as a human being, there is one thing that is true, figured out what people needed, even if they didn't think they did.

Continuity is good when it satisfies good design with nostalgia but when nostalgia hinders good design then its a problem, not a solution.

My two coppers,

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Last I checked all the 'irrational people' had money that was the same color as yours.

You missed the point I made about them not spending it.

Why should WotC cater to nostalgia when the people who are hell-bent on maintaining the status-quo won't buy your product if the moon is three-quarters of an inch off being 'full' in July, when it's raining frogs because that's not how they did it back in their day?

And on top of that, if they're so happy with what they've already got, then they're not going to buy anything new anyway so again, why bother catering to them?

We live in an age where people expect a constant state of improvement, evaluation and innovation. There's a reason why WotC went digital and a reason why they update and modify the rules so often and if they don't keep moving forward, they're going to get left behind. It's like the new iPhone: it's not even half-way through its product cycle and people are already disappointed it's not three times larger, three times faster, three times lighter and half the price.

Maybe WotC should change it's company name to "The Red Queen".

Angrydad

First Post
But there is also a business truism that sates, "customers don't know what they really want or need until you show them."

Whatever you think of Steve Jobs as a human being, there is one thing that is true, figured out what people needed, even if they didn't think they did.

Continuity is good when it satisfies good design with nostalgia but when nostalgia hinders good design then its a problem, not a solution.

My two coppers,

I don't know that Jobs was good at seeing what you needed so much as making you think you needed his new gadget and its features. Don't get me wrong, I love my little iPod and my phone works just fine, but the yearly release of "improvements" for the Apple devices is BS. Some of those features could have been included in version 1, but they withhold them for the next "upgrade" to sell more products. It's great business strategy, but completely douchey. Sorry to rant about Apple.

On topic, I think the 3-18 stats are one of the D&D sacred cows, so good luck getting rid of the system.

CroBob

First Post
Hah! Never a truer sentence was spoken!

The thing is, though, catering to irrational customers is never a good business strategy since you'll never be able to please them... they're irrational, after all.

So why not abandon them and their inane whimsy? It's not like they're making you money since they'll cancel subscriptions and blockade your product over idiotic little things like whether the system uses an archaic 3-18 ability score system or not.

The fact is that the old guard are dying off. Encounters and Lair Assault are, IMO, quite obviously aimed at a younger audience and from what I've seen of Encounters nights at stores, they're dominated by the 16 to 25 crowd. This is the new generation of gamers who are embracing PNP and who are coming from Warhammer, Magic the Gathering and World of Warcraft.

Like it or not, that's where the game is heading. Personally, I'm excited to see where it goes and don't give a fig about the whims of people who place importance on irrelevant, out-dated mechanics like 3-18 stat spreads.
Nobody's entirely rational. This hobby exists because people are not entirely rational. This is purely for entertainment, based on people's subjective tastes. Ignoring your fan-base's desires in order to do something the way you prefer means you lose fan-base. WotC, and TSR before it, is a company. Without people to purchase their products, they go out of business and there are no new editions ever (or, at least, not until the copyright expires 75 years later).

While I'd almost assuredly move to the next edition regardless if the stats remain how they are or not, there's no actual reason to change this. It may not make sense to new players, but that's only because what your actual stat is doesn't have any effect on the game aside figuring out your stat bonus. My point is that I see no reason not to compromise. The statistics as are have been a staple of the game since it's inception. Instead of abandoning them simply because the game designers stopped using the stat itself to determine things, why not simply design the game to utilize the statistics directly, like stat checks being a d20 roll which must equal to or lower than your stat? The DC for specifically stat checks, such as busting in a door, might require a strength of 10, which you must roll between the 10 and your actual stat score to succeed? Is it perfect? No. I came up with it on the spot. However,. something like this can be done.

Either way, the game will be changed in the new edition by either altering how what the range of your stats are, or altering how they effect your actions. Both ways could work, and my way you don't loose older players who would take offense at removing something they consider a staple of the game. I don't know how much trouble people are having with these stats such that you're so adamantly against them. Does it make much sense in the current mechanics? No, but a new edition is defined by a significant change in the mechanics.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
My point is that I see no reason not to compromise.

There's no reason TO comprimise either. Trading one arbitrary system for another equally arbitrary system isn't inherently an improvement. For example:

The statistics as are have been a staple of the game since it's inception. Instead of abandoning them simply because the game designers stopped using the stat itself to determine things, why not simply design the game to utilize the statistics directly, like stat checks being a d20 roll which must equal to or lower than your stat? The DC for specifically stat checks, such as busting in a door, might require a strength of 10, which you must roll between the 10 and your actual stat score to succeed? Is it perfect? No. I came up with it on the spot. However,. something like this can be done.

This was how saving throws and psionic checks worked in second edition. The reason it was scrapped is because, when learning the game, many players would get confused, not knowing if they wanted to roll higher or lower, because every roll and situation worked differently.

This is why we have the AC?DC system in place, making every check work exactly the same: Roll dice, add modifiers, beat target.

Looking at your proposed system, for example, another way of doing it would be to assign a modifier to the attribute, and a DC to the roll, in this case 21. This system, because it's the same system used by every other mechanic, is far superior.

There's a reason why the game has die rolls the way they are... it's consistant no matter what you're doing. That makes integrating parts of the rules together so much easier.

For example, let's say a mage character is using some sort of force power to hold a door closed, and some barbarian wants to break through. Well, under a hodgepodge system like second edition, the system left you in the lurch. 4th edition makes it easy. Barbarian makes an attack roll against a passive check of the mage's attack. Or maybe his Will. Or something similiar. Not hard to sort out, because all the different systems are using the same basic math.

Either way, the game will be changed in the new edition by either altering how what the range of your stats are, or altering how they effect your actions.

Baseless speculation is speculative and baseless.

8-20 is kinda a sweet spot, where most rolls your character cares about are unpenalized, but generally bonused. It's a range that works well.

As well, having mods change every even step and feat qualifiers at odd steps also works well. The alternative would be to change when you gain attributes, from every four levels to every eight, and all attributes at epic only.

Thing is, people -like- adding attributes. So every fourth level is better.

Both ways could work, and my way you don't loose older players who would take offense at removing something they consider a staple of the game. I don't know how much trouble people are having with these stats such that you're so adamantly against them. Does it make much sense in the current mechanics? No, but a new edition is defined by a significant change in the mechanics.

But your mechanics aren't unified. They're just change for the sake of change, and that's not what the evolution of D&D's editions are about. Every change has a reason, and whether or not you agree with the reason, no single change has every truly been arbitrary.

D20 works for its intended purposes. It's not supposed to be a feature of mathematical perfection such that all numbers are perfect and 12 and 13 are so different it changes everything on your character sheet. It never has been, nor is that a rational design goal.

Grydan

First Post
Personally I think stats shoudl continue to be as they are.
The main reason I think this is twofold.
1) While defining all stats from an arbitrary average is fine, it still feels wrong to say the average human has zero constitution (str, dex, int, wis or cha). An average person still has some level of strength or some such and to say it is zero feel silly.

It's not that the character has zero constitution (or str, etc.), it's that they don't strength that is significantly lower or higher than average. The ability modifier represents how far you deviate from the average, rather than some absolute number.

(That actually opens up some interesting design territory, with the "average" point being an adjustable factor, but I digress...)

2) You lose the idea of Zero as a lower cap to a stat. This is relevent to spells that may reduce stats (which have existed in a lot of editions of D&D so far) and it gives you an understanding on what is too low to be viable. This idea of Int 0 (mod -5) = no mind at all for example halps place an idiot on the scale from "No Mind" through "Average" to "Genius". Now you can go with the idea that a -5 mod is the absolute lower limit (as that is currently the mod at Stat 0) but it feels arbitrary and disjointed, while saying well "You can't have a negative strength can you?" makes sense.
Well, the current edition generally doesn't use in-game effects that directly alter your ability scores. I don't think it actually uses any at all. I don't expect those effects will return, as the reasons for removing them don't seem likely to go away.

I do agree, however, that you do lose the absolute scale aspect, as all ability scores would be relative to the average. I'm not sure this is all that big of a loss, though I realize opinions will differ.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
You missed the point I made about them not spending it.

Why should WotC cater to nostalgia when the people who are hell-bent on maintaining the status-quo won't buy your product if the moon is three-quarters of an inch off being 'full' in July, when it's raining frogs because that's not how they did it back in their day?

And on top of that, if they're so happy with what they've already got, then they're not going to buy anything new anyway so again, why bother catering to them?

Excessive inaccurate hyperbole?

We live in an age where people expect a constant state of improvement, evaluation and innovation. There's a reason why WotC went digital and a reason why they update and modify the rules so often and if they don't keep moving forward, they're going to get left behind.

The September errata consisted of changes to the PHB, Heroes of Shadow, Shadowfell, Dragon 402, and Dungeon 913. The changes are so minor and ticky tac and in so little source material, that nobody hardly notices them.

WotC has discovered that the majority of their core audience wants a stable set of rules and does not want them to constantly update them, regardless of the "I need a pacifier, satisfy me now" crowd.

It's like the new iPhone: it's not even half-way through its product cycle and people are already disappointed it's not three times larger, three times faster, three times lighter and half the price.

Only a small subset of the population whose parents did not raise them properly.

Maybe WotC should change it's company name to "The Red Queen".

Maybe not.

CroBob

First Post
This was how saving throws and psionic checks worked in second edition. The reason it was scrapped is because, when learning the game, many players would get confused, not knowing if they wanted to roll higher or lower, because every roll and situation worked differently.

Well, it's similar to how they worked in second, at any rate. In the current edition, there's nothing to differentiate a stat check from a skill check unless it's a skill you get some bonus to, making it a higher total bonus for that particular check. All "checks" are stat checks, but with specialization in a particular area, meaning skills could be removed entirely, replacing them with generalized stat checks and specializations in particular areas. Hiding, for example, would be a Dex check. If you want to be trained in hidingm or specialize in hiding, or whatever the skill mechanic name to replace it with is, then you'd get a certain bonus to rolling Dex checks to hide. Even attack rolls are simply a particular kind of stat check, effectively. Not that this is bad, but if we're going to differentiate between a "skill check" and a "stat check" and an "attack roll" anyway, why do they need to work exactly the same way? Arbitrarily different and arbitrarily uniform are both arbitrary.

If our aim is to streamline the game, this makes perfect sense.

This is why we have the AC?DC system in place, making every check work exactly the same: Roll dice, add modifiers, beat target.

My proposed system works the same way, except you don't want to roll higher than the stat you're using to make the check, and you generally won't have to worry about modifiers (powers or magic items would inevitably step in here somehow, of course).

Looking at your proposed system, for example, another way of doing it would be to assign a modifier to the attribute, and a DC to the roll, in this case 21. This system, because it's the same system used by every other mechanic, is far superior.

I fail to see how it's "superior" as opposed to "uniform". It's not even fully uniform, since the value of damage doesn't work that way. It is basically how all "success/fail" dichotomies are resolved, but the way I proposed didn't make the check significantly different. Rolling a d20 and then adding modifiers and figuring out if it's higher than some other number is essentially just as hard as rolling a d20 and then seeing if it's equal to or higher one value and equal to or lower than another, except less arithmetic is involved with my way, if you're so concerned about how easy it is.

There's a reason why the game has die rolls the way they are... it's consistant no matter what you're doing. That makes integrating parts of the rules together so much easier.

What I suggested is consistent with that group, except you don't want to roll the largest number on the di, or any number larger than the stat in question. Either way, I admit it's not a perfect suggestion. My entire point was that any changes to the game are based on the subjective whims of the designers and how ever much of the subjective input they listen to from their audience.

For example, let's say a mage character is using some sort of force power to hold a door closed, and some barbarian wants to break through. Well, under a hodgepodge system like second edition, the system left you in the lurch. 4th edition makes it easy. Barbarian makes an attack roll against a passive check of the mage's attack. Or maybe his Will. Or something similiar. Not hard to sort out, because all the different systems are using the same basic math.

I'm not proposing going back to second edition. That was such a bad edition. I'm not proposing anything that gets in the way of some sort of opposed check or attack on the mage's defenses or anything of that sort. In the case you propose, with my suggested manner of rolling stat checks above, the mage's spell would simply increase the difficulty of breaking down the door by some amount as dictated by the spell. If your typical door takes at least a 9 to break down, then perhaps this spell could increase the difficulty by 4, meaning the attempted roll must be between 13 and whatever his strength is if it's higher than that. Not complicated at all. As I said, it's not a perfect idea, and I'm sure I could do better if I had the time to toy around with the idea, but my point remains. Either change is arbitrary, based on the desires of whomever has input on the design.

Baseless speculation is speculative and baseless.

Um... if the mechanics didn't change, it wouldn't be a new edition. It'd be the same edition.

But your mechanics aren't unified. They're just change for the sake of change, and that's not what the evolution of D&D's editions are about. Every change has a reason, and whether or not you agree with the reason, no single change has every truly been arbitrary.

It's the same mechanic, except you don't add or subtract anything and there's an upper limit based on your stat. Roll d20, If it's equal to or greater than the target DC (but not higher than your stat), it's good happy success time. Less math to boot. Both methods function as well as operating on the same general mechanic, which is better depends on your tastes.

D20 works for its intended purposes. It's not supposed to be a feature of mathematical perfection such that all numbers are perfect and 12 and 13 are so different it changes everything on your character sheet. It never has been, nor is that a rational design goal.

Yet the difference between rolling a 12 or a 13 could mean success or failure, depending on the circumstances. I don't even understand what you're claiming, here. What claim did I make that what you just said contradicts it? Who said anything about 12 or 13 being perfect, and what does that even mean?

Well, it's similar to how they worked in second, at any rate. In the current edition, there's nothing to differentiate a stat check from a skill check unless it's a skill you get some bonus to, making it a higher total bonus for that particular check. All "checks" are stat checks, but with specialization in a particular area, meaning skills could be removed entirely, replacing them with generalized stat checks and specializations in particular areas. Hiding, for example, would be a Dex check. If you want to be trained in hidingm or specialize in hiding, or whatever the skill mechanic name to replace it with is, then you'd get a certain bonus to rolling Dex checks to hide. Even attack rolls are simply a particular kind of stat check, effectively. Not that this is bad, but if we're going to differentiate between a "skill check" and a "stat check" and an "attack roll" anyway, why do they need to work exactly the same way? Arbitrarily different and arbitrarily uniform are both arbitrary.

If our aim is to streamline the game, this makes perfect sense.

My proposed system works the same way, except you don't want to roll higher than the stat you're using to make the check, and you generally won't have to worry about modifiers (powers or magic items would inevitably step in here somehow, of course).

I fail to see how it's "superior" as opposed to "uniform". It's not even fully uniform, since the value of damage doesn't work that way. It is basically how all "success/fail" dichotomies are resolved, but the way I proposed didn't make the check significantly different. Rolling a d20 and then adding modifiers and figuring out if it's higher than some other number is essentially just as hard as rolling a d20 and then seeing if it's equal to or higher one value and equal to or lower than another, except less arithmetic is involved with my way, if you're so concerned about how easy it is.

What I suggested is consistent with that group, except you don't want to roll the largest number on the di, or any number larger than the stat in question. Either way, I admit it's not a perfect suggestion. My entire point was that any changes to the game are based on the subjective whims of the designers and how ever much of the subjective input they listen to from their audience.

I'm not proposing going back to second edition. That was such a bad edition. I'm not proposing anything that gets in the way of some sort of opposed check or attack on the mage's defenses or anything of that sort. In the case you propose, with my suggested manner of rolling stat checks above, the mage's spell would simply increase the difficulty of breaking down the door by some amount as dictated by the spell. If your typical door takes at least a 9 to break down, then perhaps this spell could increase the difficulty by 4, meaning the attempted roll must be between 13 and whatever his strength is if it's higher than that. Not complicated at all. As I said, it's not a perfect idea, and I'm sure I could do better if I had the time to toy around with the idea, but my point remains. Either change is arbitrary, based on the desires of whomever has input on the design.

Um... if the mechanics didn't change, it wouldn't be a new edition. It'd be the same edition.

It's the same mechanic, except you don't add or subtract anything and there's an upper limit based on your stat. Roll d20, If it's equal to or greater than the target DC (but not higher than your stat), it's good happy success time. Less math to boot. Both methods function as well as operating on the same general mechanic, which is better depends on your tastes.

Yet the difference between rolling a 12 or a 13 could mean success or failure, depending on the circumstances. I don't even understand what you're claiming, here. What claim did I make that what you just said contradicts it? Who said anything about 12 or 13 being perfect, and what does that even mean?

Yeah, I'm just going to say that all of my long experience with playing, designing, and fiddling with games tells me that the existing d20 higher is better system used in 4e is fundamentally superior. It is simpler, more straightforward, etc. Furthermore there is a HIGH degree of utility in the uniformity of mechanics displayed by 4e. A bonus for instance always means roughly the same thing and you can easily extrapolate or reuse one mechanic from another without serious trouble.

Your suggestion by contrast creates a whole peculiar different kind of mechanic that while it has some similarities to other mechanics also has differences which I'd consider fairly pointless and adding little or nothing of value. It would be harder to explain, probably result in some weird corner-case issues, and would generally make it more effort to figure things out.

It certainly seems like a game designer jumping through flaming hoops just to make things conform to existing mechanics. In a sense the whole ability score 3-18 thing being translated into ability bonus is also somewhat of an example of that. At least they simply made a new mechanic that was sensible and then tied it back to the old mechanic in a rather harmless and reasonably straightforward way.

Honestly, from a pure game design standpoint the 'get rid of ability score' camp has a perfectly fine point. There's just not much need for this legacy mechanic. OTOH I just figure its cost is low and removing it will be a magilla. I'd imagine that's pretty much why it was left in 4e. WotC just didn't figure it was worth removing. There are already enough things about recent editions of D&D that are non-traditional, why feed that fire?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Honestly, from a pure game design standpoint the 'get rid of ability score' camp has a perfectly fine point. There's just not much need for this legacy mechanic. OTOH I just figure its cost is low and removing it will be a magilla. I'd imagine that's pretty much why it was left in 4e. WotC just didn't figure it was worth removing. There are already enough things about recent editions of D&D that are non-traditional, why feed that fire?

Although I agree with what you say here, I think it goes beyond that a bit.

There are literally tens of millions of people who have played D&D over the decades (estimates vary, but 20 million is sometimes quoted). WotC will want to get as many of those people (plus new players) playing 5E as possible.

For those tens of millions of people, if they were playing a PC and another player says "What's your strength?", they could answer 17.

17 means something. It means that your PC is probably strong enough to go up and try to help hold the door closed that the monsters are trying to break through, or hold the rope so that another PC can climb into a pit.

An answer of 11 means something totally different.

For tens of millions of people worldwide.

Yes, saying "I have a strength of 3" mechanically would mean the same thing over "I have a strength of 0", it doesn't really mean that much to those millions of players.

Sure, new players wouldn't know the difference, but if WotC only tries to market to new players, they'll go out of business. Granted, a significant portion of those 20 million players played some time back and will never play the game again, but some portion of those 20 million players still play the game (or play an earlier version of it).

Remove ads