Welcome to the Game-Night Kitchen!

jcayer

Explorer
3 words, Breakfast for Dinner

A few months ago I did Breakfast for Dinner. 10 lbs of homefries, a bacon/egg/cheese casserole, and a broccoli/egg/cheese casserole.

There was nothing left.

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 4: Sloppy Joes!

Well, it has been a busy week for me, so we're going to do a very simple dish tonight. As with the tomato soup, this one may be best suited for a break in the action.

This one's a real winner--and its one of the easiest dishes to prepare. This week, we're making sloppy joes.

What you will need:

• ground beef
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • brown sugar
  • hamburger buns

First, the meat.

In a skillet, brown your ground beef. Add chopped onion, green pepper, garlic or the like, as desired. Season with salt and black pepper, if desired. Once the beef is cooked, drain off the grease (not down your drain!).

Sloppy-Joes, Slop, Slop, Sloppy-Joes.

Add ketchup and mustard to your meat and return to a medium heat. Start with a small amount of mustard and add more to taste--little goes a long way. Add brown sugar, also to taste. Stir it all until it is consistently blended and continue to cook until the sloppy joe filling is evenly heated.

Put it on a bun; it's done!

It seems too simple, but it really is delicious. Not only that, if you have leftover meatloaf, or the like, you can use that instead of browning ground beef (or can add it in).

That's really all there is to it. Good gaming, y'all.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 5: Pasta Salad

Well, has been very hot around these parts this week, so we're going to do a nice, simple Pasta Salad.

What you will need:

• Pasta (preferably something with texture!)
  • Water
  • Salt
  • Whatever you like in your Pasta Salad
  • Whatever kind of sauce you like

Whatever you want.

One of the really nice things about pasta salad is that it is very simple, and can have pretty much whatever you want to put in it.

First, bring some water in a pan to boiling with a little salt in it. Once it is boiling, stir in your pasta and cook it until it is slightly firm. Drain it well.

Mix in a sauce that could be as simple as italian or ranch dressing, or could be slightly more complex, light a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or a mixture of buttermilk, mayonaise, oil, and dill. Maybe a hint of mustard. Your options are many, here, so go ahead and experiment with a sauce--but make sure you taste it before adding it to the pasta!

Next, throw stuff in. Here's a small list of possible things that would be good in pasta salad:

• Tomatoes, either chopped, or cherry/grape variety.
  • Walnuts or pecans
  • Broccoli, either raw or blanched
  • Crumbled bacon (if you cook your own, consider storing extra in your freezer in a plastic zip-lock bag--whenever you need to crumble bacon into a recipe, you can just pull some out and do so)
  • Toasted Pepperoni slices (try it!)
  • Ham
  • Shredded or grated cheese (especially Parmesian)
  • Chopped or shredded carrots
  • Olives
  • Onion (especially red onion)
  • Raw spinach
  • Bell peppers (especially an assortment of colors)
  • Fresh peas

Season as desired and toss it together. Quick. Easy. Good.

Until next week, good gaming, y'all!

Bloody Feather

First Post
Bloody Feather's Classic French Onion

If your like me and have to schedule a game night a few days in advance, here is something that is usually a crowd pleaser. Plus it is a relatively cheap way to feed a group of hungry campaigners.

• Ingredients: 1lb of beef tips (this recipie feeds about 5 humans so adjust as needed).
  • Enough Brandy to soak the meat in.
  • 1 large white onion, 2 crushed garlic bulbs.
  • 3.5 cups of worschestershire sauce.
  • 5 cups of water.
  • Provalone cheese, sliced.
  • One loaf of French bread.
  • Enough oven safe bowls for everyone, and a sealable container.
Steps
  1. Place thawed beef, 1 crushed garlic bulb, and plenty of brandy into a sealable container and store in the fridge for two days.
  2. Pour meat, brandy, the other crushed garlic bulb, and water into a a large pot along with the onion after dicing it to your liking.
  3. Boil just long enough to cook the meat, scooping off the the bits of goodness that float to the top (if you like, save this for a nice brown gravy recipie I'll post later).
  4. Lower to a med/low temp and add worschestershire sauce, allow about 20 minutes for everything to mix together. If you like, add an extra dash of brandy at this point.
  5. Spoon portions out into oven safe bowls.
  6. Put a generous chunk of French bread into the bowl
  7. Cover bowl with a slice of provolone cheese.
  8. Put in the oven under a broiler just long enough for the cheese to get bubbly
  9. Remove bowl from oven and put on a plate, serve with remaining French bread.
Give it a try and let me know if you like it!

Rune

Once A Fool
[MENTION=6694751]Bloody Feather[/MENTION]: Now, you know I'm going to have to expect you to make this for tomorrow night's game! (You're already marinating the meat for it, right? Right?)

Rune

Once A Fool
Also, just so y'all know, I've included links to fellow contributor's recipes in the first post of this thread for easy reference. I intend to keep that list updated, so, by all means, keep 'em coming!

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 6: Pepperoni Chips.

This is, by far, the simplest snack I know of, but I'll warn you: It's not very healthy and it's extremely addictive.

What you will need:
  • Sliced Pepperoni.
  • More Sliced Pepperoni, because, seriously, these are addictive.
  • See above.

Heat and Eat.

First, preheat your oven or toaster oven to 450 degrees or so (something suitable for toasting). Lay out your pepperoni in a shallow pan so that they do not overlap. Stick them in the oven and cook them until they are crisp. Keep an eye on them; it will not take long! Remove the chips from the oven, lay them on some sheets of paper towels to absorb the excess grease, let them cool, and put them in a bowl.

Place them on the table in front of your fellow gamers and watch them disappear!

Alternatively, if you have a deep fryer, and are even less fond of your arteries, you can cook these up in--literally--seconds!

If, on the off-chance, you've made so many of these that you have some left over, freeze them in a plastic bag and bring them out to snack on in the future--or top salads with, or...well, whatever!

Until next week, good gaming, y'all!

Last edited:

Remove ads