• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Welcome to the Halmae (updated 2/27/07)

spyscribe

First Post
Part the Very Sixteenth
In which: Dar Aego doesn’t get a second chance to make a first impression.
(as recorded by Fajitas)

The trip to Dar Aego is an uneventful week on the road.

Thatch, Hue, and Reyu have agreed to go on retainer to the Universal Law Caucus of Dar Pykos. They will be paid 10 gold per week for their services to the Caucus. Cyrus, who already has allegiance to a Kettenite sect, is unable to accept the offer. However, he hates leaving a job half-done, and is just as willing as the others to aid in rescuing the unjustly enslaved individuals.

The group has been given instructions by the Caucus to track down five people and purchase their freedom. In addition to a list of their names, the party has been given 1,000 gold. Their five objectives were sold for a total of 750 gold, so the party has plenty of additional funds for unexpected expenses. Unfortunately, the Caucus has little information beyond their names. What happened to them after they were sold to Dar Aego is unknown.

“Um. Remind me again why we have to buy them out of slavery?” Thatch asks, as he rides on Bob alongside the others, who ride in the mule-drawn cart given to them by the Caucus. “If they were enslaved illegally, shouldn’t they just be free?”

“Yes,” Anvil responds, “but the wrongdoing in this matter is solely on the part of Count Missola. Those who purchased the slaves in Dar Aego had no idea they were buying illegal slaves. An offer of fair recompense for their expenses should help smooth the process.”

“It doesn’t seem fair that the Caucus should have to pay for it,” Thatch grumbles.

“They didn’t,” Anvil reminds him.

The money actually came from the Missola estate. The estate is now under the control of the Count’s son Ess, who, in addition to offering the funds to purchase the wrongly enslaved people, has volunteered to recompense them for the work they have done during their bondage.

Despite this generosity, Ess is a slimy, weasely, hedonistic young man. He had to be awakened at 3 in the afternoon when the party arrived to pick up the gold. He made their skin crawl, but he did give them the money. In addition, he provided them with the slaves’ last known location. They were sold to one of the major slave houses in Dar Aego: the House of al-Assal. Ess has sent a letter to the proprietor, Adar al-Assal, informing him of the situation and telling him to expect the party.

It is with some degree of anticipation that the party first sets eyes on the high walls of Dar Aego. They shine brilliant white in the morning sun. Indeed, as the party gets closer, they can see that the walls are made entirely from white marble!

“How… solid,” Reyu comments. “Shall we approach?”

They follow the main road towards the city gates.

“Um… I can’t help but notice,” Thatch says, “that we’re the only cart on this road.”

Indeed they are. As they approach the city, they note that the other vehicles heading toward the main gate are carriages. All are covered, the passengers out of sight. All are fairly ornate. Almost all are trimmed with gold, many are adorned with jewels, and one slow moving one even seems to have solid gold wheels. In comparison, the party looks quite underdressed.

Still they press on towards the gate. There is a brief wait, as the gate guards clear each carriage for entry. The next carriage driver over spares a moment to sniff down his nose at them.

Eventually, the party reaches the front of the line. Through the gate, they catch a glimpse of the city. The buildings are built of shining marble. Trees and fountains line the stone-paved street. At a glance, the architecture appears to put even the finest buildings in Dar Pykos to shame.

But before they can enter, they are stopped by a gate guard. He is dressed in a well-sculpted breastplate and short leather skirt. Both are trimmed in gold. The guard nearly double-takes when he sees them, and says, “What’s this? The back gate is for shipping. Turn that thing around!”

There are momentary puzzled looks, and Hue is the first to speak up. “Oh, we’re not shipping!” he says.

The guard looks skeptical. “Really? Then what is your business here?”

“We’re here to buy slaves!”

The guard looks even more skeptical. Fortunately, Anvil steps in before Hue tries again. “We are on a mission for Kettenek. Justice demands we enter this city.”

“Well you’ll do it by the back gate.” The guard pauses a moment. “Unless, of course, you have the proper documentation.”

“What documentation would that be?” Anvil asks.

“Oh, depends. A letter of introduction. Authorization papers. Something like that perhaps.”

“Oh! You mean like a bribe?” Hue says.

The guard looks slightly put out by Hue’s directness. “Let’s just say it’s always good to have the right people on your side in Dar Aego.”

“I have many of the right people on my side,” Anvil says, brandishing a roll of parchment given to him by Tenacious. It is a letter of introduction to the head of the Universal Law Caucus in Dar Aego. “This letter of introduction was given to me by the Temple of Justice in Dar Pykos. They are on my side.”

That seems to make up the guard’s mind. “Uh-huh,” he says. “Church business uses the back gate. Now move!” He turns his attention to the next cart.

There is a pause. “Um,” Thatch says, speaking for everyone.

So they turn the cart around and head for the back gate.

“Psst!” Hue loudly whispers to Anvil. “I think he was just looking for a bribe.”

“I know,” Anvil responds. “I did not wish to give him the satisfaction.”

The road leading around the city is dusty and ill-used and, as they reach the rear, they see that there is another road altogether, leading toward an entrance in back. A string of wagons and carts work their way towards it.

The party joins the line, and is soon admitted to Dar Aego. It is nothing like they expect.

The view from the back entrance is completely different from what they had seen at the front. From here, Dar Aego is a shanty-town, filled with ramshackle wooden buildings. It would be charitable to call the streets dirt, as they are actually mud. There is nothing green or growing here, and the air stinks of too many people crowded into too small a space.

“But… but…” Thatch says. “Where’s the marble? Where’re the fountains?”

“Probably behind that wall,” Cyrus says, nodding towards the second wall before them, seemingly a sister to the exterior wall. It is just as high as that one, but this wall is made of stone, not marble, and in ill repair. In fact, when they look behind them, they discover that from the inside, even the outer wall is made of rough stone. The marble is only an external façade.

Dar Aego is built like a donut. There are two great concentric walls. The inner wall surrounds the large center of the city-state, where the wealthy citizens live. Between the two walls is the small, cramped Outer City. This is where everyone else lives. The main gates of the city open in such a way as to hide the outer city from view.

“But why do the wealthy get the greater area? Surely there must be far fewer of them,” Reyu says, trying to work this out in her mind.

“Surely,” Cyrus agrees darkly.

Reyu’s opinion of humanity drops another notch.

The group makes their way through the Outer City. Their inquiries as to how to pass into the Inner City are eventually answered by an Alirrian priestess, caring for the sick here. By the smell and sound of things, she has her work cut out for her.

There is a small, well-guarded gate that leads from the Outer City to the Inner. Only those with work permits are permitted through. Anvil reluctantly slips one of the guards 10 gold, and they are admitted to the Inner City of Dar Aego.

The change is striking. The roads are wide and paved. Trees and parks dot the landscape. The buildings gleam, full of columns and arches and statues. Each is bigger and more ornate than the next. In fact, many of then look flat out ridiculous in their attempts to be grander and richer than the others. It is opulence run amok. And the people are worst of all.

They are mostly dressed in bright, toga-like robes. It is hotter in Dar Aego than Dar Pykos, thus the people wear lighter fabric, and generally more revealing cuts. There is no dominant color among the outfits. Indeed, in many cases, there is no color coordination at all. People wear multiple clashing colors at once, the better to be noticed. They also wear much jewelry. Earings, necklaces, and headdresses made of gold, silver, and gems. One woman actually seems to be wearing a piece that is somehow simultaneously an earring, necklace, and headdress. It is all Thatch can do not to stare openly.

The slaves of Dar Aego are fairly plentiful, and easy to pick out. They are the only people wearing white, and their outfits are generally skimpier than those of their masters. Many have iron collars about their necks. They do not make eye-contact with anyone, and the free Aegosians do not seem to notice them.

Apart from slaves, the party are virtually the only people walking on the street. Free Aegosians ride in open carriages for all to see, except those who are carried on divans, borne by slaves. One divan passes with a single person on it, carried by nearly 20 slaves.

“Isn’t that a bit much?” Thatch asks in a quiet voice.

“Depends on how many slaves carry your neighbor’s chair,” Cyrus says.

“We should perhaps not… tarry here,” Reyu says. “We seem to be attracting attention.” Indeed, many of the people passing by have been staring at them. Few of the stares are friendly. “Let us find this… House of al-Assal.”

The party waylays a slave and asks for directions to the House of al-Assal. The slave obliges, though he stammers as he speaks to them. He seems quite relieved to take his leave, and quickly walks away.

“Y’know,” Thatch says, “I don’t think I like this place.”

spyscribe

First Post
Harp said:
So are we getting pretty close to Lira's first appearance?

Pretty close, although not imminently. Remember, by the time the party meets Lira, they only have one more slave to free.

However, they should be even closer on Thursday.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, the Mustelid Anti-Defamation League has registered a protest with the management regarding the characterization of Ess Missola as "weasely."

Their statement has been appended below:

originally posted by M.A.D.L.
Yeah... he wishes he was weasely. You know what I'm saying Boss?

Last edited:

spyscribe

First Post
Part the Very Seventeenth
In which: readers may judge for themselves the nature of al-Assal’s establishment.
(as recorded by Fajitas)

The House of al-Assal, much to the party’s surprise, is actually tasteful. It is a large building with an open courtyard in the center, and also boasts extensive grounds outside the house itself—hidden from view by a great hedge growing around the property.

The party follows the walkway to the entrance, where a well-groomed slave waits patiently. He offers to inform the Master of the House of the party’s arrival, and gestures them inside.

The entry hall is a spacious, marble room. Elaborate and tasteful mosaics are splayed on the walls. A pair of slaves plays delicate music in one corner. There are couches and divans a plenty, upon which a number of patrons lounge. Servants bring them plates of fruit. The air is thick with a perfumed smell.

“This seems a fine change from the bulk of the city,” Anvil remarks.

“Look again,” Cyrus says, and points to the alcoves.

Along the walls at regular intervals are a series of alcoves. In each are… well, people. Men and women, clad in scanty, flimsy gauze that leaves little to the imagination but gives it quite a kick-start. They sit very still, three or four to an alcove.

“What are they…” Thatch begins, but trails off as a well-dressed man who has been perusing the alcoves stops. He takes the hand of one of the women, who stands up and follows him. Another slave gestures them through a doorway and out of sight.

Indeed, all around the room, men and women select people from the alcoves and lead them towards the back.

“Um,” Thatch says. “Um. Um um. Um.”

“Indeed,” Reyu says, glancing around. She notes with outrage that one alcove contains four elves.

Thatch positively goggles. Anvil sidles up next to him. “It may be best not to look around.”

“Is that a dwarf?” Thatch whispers.

“Steady, lad,” Cyrus says.

“Gosh! Whaddaya think of this town now?” Hue asks.

A figure emerges from the back, a well-tanned man with a shaven head. He is dressed in a fine, red wraparound robe, decorated with beads and sequins. His approaches the party and bows with a deep flourish. “Welcome, weary travelers, to the House of al-Assal,” he says, steepling his long fingers, “the finest pleasure palace in all the Halmae. I am Adar al-Assal, and I am at your service.” He bows again.

“Pleasure palace,” Cyrus says. “I thought this was a slave house.”

“And so it is,” al-Assal answers smoothly. The man oozes a well-practiced charm; it’s an obvious affectation, but he’s extremely good at it. “A pleasure palace, a slave house, a house of chance, a place of rest, and the finest dining in Dar Aego. All this and more. We cater to every whim and need, every dream and desire. We can stimulate the body or the mind, and provide any diversion you should seek. This, my friends, is the House of al-Assal.”

“Um,” Thatch says.

“You have elves here,” Reyu says coldly.

“Indeed, we do. Or dwarves, if that is your pleasure. Alas, due to their rarity, female dwarves are available only by appointment,” he adds apologetically. “We do cater to all tastes.” His eye falls on Hue. “Now you, my small friend, I’m quite sure a unique individual like yourself would be… very popular in this establishment. Would you perhaps consider an offer? Not as a slave, of course, simply a contracted hire.”

“Really? Gosh,” Hue says, and he actually considers it for a moment before noticing the incredulous looks the rest of the party is giving him. Even the Ferret doesn’t look like he can find an angle on this one. “Uhh, I think I have to pass,” Hue says, sheepishly.

“Ah well. The offer is open, any time you change your mind,” al-Assal sighs. “Now, on to business. Unless, of course, there is anything you desire after your long journey? A wash? A massage? A refreshing drink, perhaps, or some other concoction? You will find no fresher Blackroot distillate within the city walls.”

“No, thanks,” everyone responds, though Thatch lags half a beat behind the others.

Al-Assal bows again, smiling. “Very well, then. To business. I was, of course, shocked to hear of these terrible circumstances. I am, quite frankly, appalled to have played even so small and unwitting a part in it. We at the House of al-Assal hold ourselves to the strictest of standards.”

“No doubt,” Anvil says.

“I have here,” al-Assal continues, presenting Anvil with a rolled up parchment from his robes, “the sales records for the individuals you seek. They include the names and last known addresses of each of the buyers. It should be quite easy for you to track them down from there.” Al-Assal looks rather apologetic. “I do hope the young lady is all right. She had quite an… independent streak. I fear that rather extreme efforts were required to instruct her on her proper place. You will extend my sincerest apologies, won’t you?”

No one really knows how to answer that. Hue says, “Sure!” but no one else even tries.

“Then you have my gratitude,” al-Assal says with another bow. “And now, if there is anything else you require? The House of al-Assal is open to you. You are welcome to stay here as my guests, free of charge, for the duration of your visit to our city. You will find the other accommodations in town more expensive and less… accommodating.”

Thatch’s eyes bug, but Anvil says, “Thank you, but we have contacts at the Temple of Justice. They will provide us with lodgings.”

“As you wish,” al-Assal says. The smile has never left his face for an instant. “If there is anything else I can do for you during your time here, you have but to ask.” With a final bow, al-Assal backs away and leaves the entry hall.

“Do we, um, have to stay at the Temple?” Thatch asks in a small voice.

“Yes,” several party members inform him, and, grasping Thatch firmly by the elbows, they exit the House of al-Assal.

Bad Monkey Jeff

First Post
It all comes together...

Fajitas said:
Hue, alas, will not be sold into slavery for being the first person to *actually* steal from Count Missola. Though it's an awfully funny idea.

Bwah! It all comes together! Now I understand why Hue was so nervous when he produced those potions a few sessions down the road! I'm pretty sure Anvil never found out about their stolen nature, even when we eventually used them. And of course, Thatch and Reyu weren't particularly interested in making sure Ketennek's justice was delivered upon him for that particular crime...

spyscribe

First Post
Part the Very Eighteenth
In which: Justice gets a new look.
(as recorded by Fajitas)

Anvil obtains directions to the Aegosian Temple of Justice and the group makes their way there. The wealthy Aegosians that pass them on the street universally give them disdainful looks, doing little to improve the party’s overall impression of the place.

The Temple itself is constructed of white marble, brilliant and elaborate. It is a far cry from the stern and austere building in Dar Pykos.

“Who is it we are meeting here?” Reyu asks.

“I have been given a letter of introduction to Immobile the Just, the head of the Universal Law Caucus here in Dar Aego. No doubt he will put their resources at our disposal,” Anvil replies.

Anvil flags down a temple acolyte and asks to be led to Immobile. The acolyte takes the party to an office. “Come in,” says a voice from inside, and they do. The man behind the desk is young and clean-shaven. His robes, though similar in design to Anvil’s, are of a much finer fabric and a cut more adapted to the style of Dar Aego. They also indicate that he is merely a Third Order Justicar. “Yes?” the man asks.

Anvil steps forward, slightly confused. “I am here to see Immobile the Just,” he says.

“That’s me,” the man responds.

“You head the Universal Law Caucus here in Dar Aego?” Anvil asks, surprised.

Immobile immediately jumps out of his seat and hurries to close the door. “I do,” he says. “Who are you, and how do you know that?”

Anvil introduces himself and the others, and presents Immobile with the letter of introduction. Immobile reads it twice before he relaxes. “Forgive my paranoia,” he says. “The Caucus is not exactly popular here in Dar Aego. We operate more or less underground.”

“I did not mean to alarm you. I was merely surprised to find a Third Order as head of the Caucus,” Anvil replies.

“As I said, the Caucus isn’t very popular here. It’s not as though we’re arguing that Aegosian law should become the universal standard. Now,” he says, indicating the letter, “clearly your mission here is a very important one. Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot I can offer you. Our resources are few.”

“Do you have someone who knows their way around?” Hue asks. “I keep having to ask people, and they all stare at me funny when I do.”

“They stare at you funny when you don’t,” Thatch mutters under his breath.

“A guide? Yes, that I think I can spare,” Immobile says. He opens the door and snaps for an acolyte. “Have Essela come see me,” he commands. The acolyte runs off. “Now,” Immobile continues, “as to people staring at you... that’s a harder issue. You, all of you, do rather stick out. People here tend to look down on… um…”

“Outsiders?” Anvil offers.

“The poor,” Immobile finishes. “Or at least people less well off than themselves. You see it everywhere here, in the houses, the carriages, the clothes. Appearances mean a lot in Dar Aego, and yours say you don’t belong here.”

“Is that all? We could look like we fit in easy,” Hue says, and begins to cast. A small fog appears around him and coalesces into the image of an Aegosian robe, complete with a gold headdress covered in dangling bells. Or, rather, it coalesces into cheap imitation thereof. The robes appear to have been stitched by someone who doesn’t know how to sew, and the headdress seems to have been dragged behind a carriage for some distance. “See,” Hue says, inordinately proud.

“Um. Don’t bells usually make noise?” Thatch asks.

“Perhaps,” Reyu interrupts, “it would be easier if we were simply to purchase Aegosian robes. If it will ease our dealings with people here, it seems worth the expense.”

“It will certainly ease your dealings here,” Immobile says. “I can provide Justicar robes for Anvil. I can send an acolyte to purchase clothing for the rest of you, though I warn you they are not likely to be cheap.”

“We only require 750 gold to buy back all the slaves,” Anvil says. “The Caucus has provided us with 1000.”

“990, after what you slipped the gate guards,” Cyrus points out.

“Nonetheless, this seems a reasonable expense.”

The others agree, and Immobile sends his acolyte. In the end, the plainest of Aegosian robes costs the party 20 gold each. “910,” Cyrus says.

Another acolyte soon returns with the party’s guide, Essela. She is a member of the Order of Law, an order of monks attached to the Justicars who serve as part clerks, part bailiffs. Essela works for Immobile, and is also a member of the Caucus.

“Where to first?” she asks dryly.

The party pauses to consider this question, and Anvil produces the list the party has been given of wrongly enslaved Pykosian citizens:

1) Colin Meadowson- a farmer from outside Dar Pykos. He had been on his way to market six months ago when he was arrested. Stolen goods belonging to Missola were found in his cart. He was sold as an unskilled laborer for 100 gold to the LeGrande plantation, outside of Dar Aego.

2) Amelia Morrin- a 16-year old girl. She had just arrived in Dar Pykos to attend the Mages Academy. She was arrested in the Market five months ago, accused of stealing the Count’s pouch. Due to her literacy and intellect, she was sold for 250 gold to the Morjene estate.

3) Dennis (last name unknown)- a petty criminal from the streets of Dar Pykos. He was sentenced four months ago, despite his claims of innocence, for assaulting Ess Missola just outside the Missola estate. Dennis was sold as a household slave to the Lowess estate, for 100 gold.

4) Andrew (last name unknown)- also a thug from Dar Pykos. Sentenced for the same assault on Ess as Dennis (the two were allegedly in it together). Andrew was sold as an unskilled laborer for 100 gold to a marble quarry outside of the city.

5) Henrik Cotton- a former Watchman from Dar Pykos, who was busted for drinking on the job. He was arrested two months ago, allegedly for a break-in at the Missola estate. Due to his excellent physical condition, he was sold to the city as a municipal laborer for 200 gold.

“Colin and Andrew are both outside of the city,” Reyu notes. “It would be more… convenient… to deal with those here first, then leave to retrieve the others.”

“The quarry is several hours north of the city,” Essela pipes up. “The plantation is several hours west. The city makes as good a place as any to stop between them.”

“Still, it seems to me we should deal with those nearer sooner,” Reyu responds.

“Um, wasn’t al-Assal a little concerned about the girl?” Thatch asks. “Maybe we should get her first, then go to whoever’s closest.”

All agree that this seems like the best plan. And so, Essela leads them through the city to the Morjene estate.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Harp said:
OK, I'll bite...'Halmae' is Greek for what?

Salt-water, or brine. Technically, it's "halme," but I liked the look of it with an "ae" better.

The Halmae is the name of both the large, Mediterranean-like sea at the center of the gameworld (or at least at the center of the map), as well as the lands that surround that sea. Originally, the campaign was going to be set in the bronze-age, which is why the main "kingdom" is a Greek-like confederation of city-states.

Ultimately, both my players and I decided that to do a bronze-age game right would require too much research and mechanics mucking (I mean, really, what is plate mail in the Bronze Age?) to be worth it, thus I changed the time period to a more standard D&D flavor, but left the setting largely intact.

That said, I was still looking for a name for the world, and wanted something Greekish that meant "life-blood" or "Sea of Life". So I asked Orichalcum, and "Halmae" was the best word she came up with.

So, yes. The Halmae. Salt-water or brine. As Orichalcum pointed out, the campaign might just as well be called "Welcome to the Pickle Juice".:p

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Piratecat said:
Why do I think that this can only end in tears? :D

Please select your response from the following options:

1) Because you are perceptive.

2) Lucky guess.

3) Because, as an experienced GM, you know that all the best adventures end in tears

4) Because you've read the end of this adventure at the beginning of this thread, and know how it ends.

5) Because tears are, by definition, halmae (see above post).

If you do not have a touch-tone browser, you may wait here and our next available service representative will be with you shortly.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads