• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Well, that was painless

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This is the first time I've tried using the GenCon housing system (only previous time I went I found a hotel independently); I was about 12 hours late and so there wasn't much left except out by the ring road freeway; so I said "what the hell" and blew some bucks on the only remaining downtown hotel...the name of which I've already forgotten but it's half a mile from the Con. center.

It took the housing registration page several tries to open, but once it did things went smooth as silk.

Lane-"already counting the days"-fan

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
To be clear, I don't hate the Omni or anything. As a hotel, it's fine. I'd just that I'd rather be closer to the center of things, or have all of the extra amenities that Embassy Suites includes. Omni to the Exhibit Hall, for instance, is quite a hike.

And it greatly annoys me that GenCon staff left that dead link up for me to F5-F5-F5 for 40 minutes, so that I missed out on my top three choices, even though I was logged in and ready to go at 12:00 PM Eastern.

I guess I should have known better than to assume that GenCon might get things up and running late ... bwaha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahaha! No, I can't even type that with a straight face.

I went to the gencon.com link at 12 ET sharp, and got through to the site no problem. I'm not sure what was up with that - several people have reported having problems doing the exact same thing I did...

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I went to the gencon.com link at 12 ET sharp, and got through to the site no problem.
Well, "www.gencon.com" may well have worked perfectly. But "www.genconreg.com," where we bought our badges, is where they had the link that never went live. (Well, it's live now, but it wasn't at 12:40 ET yesterday.)

As an aside, how a 2009 GenCon Events subforum? All y'all'd have to do is replace the 2008 forum, which hasn't had traffic in months.

Last edited:

Thank you (Master of the Game) for posting that new link.

I had a 2 hour battle via the mobile, to get a room.

Got home, turn on the PC, and got a room, in less than 10 minutes.

Gen Con Housing, is not mobile friendly.

Glad I decided to post. Just wish I had done so earlier. I had never gotten through so easily before, so it didn't occur to me that the reason was likely that no one else was getting through.

I've had enough problems in the past that I just went through the night before and scouted out the links to make sure I knew where to go and what to do. :)

lrsach01

Explorer
Completely painless... except for the fact that I forgot to get in early and had to get rooms farther away than I would like. My gaming group is NEVER going to let me live it down.

In at 12, booked a room at the Embassy, and done by 12:04. Gotta give them props; when they said they were introducing a new registration system I figured we'd be in for a disaster of biblical proportions, but so far it's been exceptional.

The real test, though, is True Dungeon.

I wanted to get a room at the Westin (I love being hamster tube close) but the plans of a few of my friends fell through and they asked If they could bunk with my group, so I had to go for the larger room at the embassy suites. I’m just glad that I didn’t have to go through the housing reg system this year.

jgerman

First Post
Didn't go as smoothly for us, we're stuck at the Comfort Suites this year. Usually I just call the Hyatt and reserve a room at normal prices but they were booked up so I had to go through Con housing :(

Remove ads