Well, there goes the "Drizzt Clone" theory...

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Posted by Monte Cook on his own message boards:
I've done a little digging in the Drizt/ranger chicken/egg mystery and as near as I can determine, Bob Salvatore created the character knowing that that's how the 2E ranger would work. So Drizt was patterned on the ranger, not the other way around, I think.

dogpile.gif

I guess we'll have to think of something else...

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
Whichs begs the question: Why did the 2E ranger change so drastically, as to have almost nothing in common with the 1E ranger?

The natural follow-up to that question is...why wasn't it fixed in the Third Edition?? The double-weapon-wielding Ranger is really, really irritating.

Just my 2cp.

Theron

Explorer
Aaron L said:
Whichs begs the question: Why did the 2E ranger change so drastically, as to have almost nothing in common with the 1E ranger?

I have a weird theory on this. I have no idea if it's true, but it holds it's own internal consistency.

I blame the SCA. I know there were some folks active in this organization at TSR in the old days. And a lot of SCAers played (and still play D&D). Back in those days, one of most devastating SCA fighters in that region of North America was a fellow who went by the name of Moonwulf. He was one of those unbeatable types that comes along every once in a while in a fighting art and revolutionizes things. I know Moonwulf had some contact with TSR back in the day, because a few of his songs/poems were published in the Strategic Review.

So, what does this have to do with the price of Elf Kidney Pie in the Empire of Iuz? Simple. Moonwulf's primary fighting method was a two-sword style. And his "household" (collection of SCA friends who hang out together), was known as "Moonwulf's Rangers".

Like I said, I may be full of hot air, but it's the best explanation I've come up with.

bushfire

First Post
Theron said:

Back in those days, one of most devastating SCA fighters in that region of North America was a fellow who went by the name of Moonwulf. He was one of those unbeatable types that comes along every once in a while in a fighting art and revolutionizes things.

Master Moonwulf still is one of the best "2-stick" fighters in the SCA, at least in the Middle Kingdom. Still active and still kicking butt.

Remove ads