We're Finally Mainstream! Now What?

ICv2's recent announcement that hobby games have become "mainstream" heralds a new age for role-playing games. How did this happen and why should gamers care?

ICv2's recent announcement that hobby games have become "mainstream" heralds a new age for role-playing games. How did this happen and why should gamers care?
[h=3]How Did We Get Here?[/h]Role-playing games have steadily been increasing in popularity and media attention. Several factors are likely at play, ranging from older players returning to the hobby (as evidenced by the Old School Renaissance ), to an increased media awareness of role-playing games (Stranger Things being one example), to a wave of nostalgia as 40-somethings now have enough buying power to introduce their kids to the hobby.

The rise of video and podcasting has also introduced gaming to a much larger population on the Internet. Conventions are more popular than ever before -- to the point that they have difficulty keeping up with the demand. Wizards of the Coast has released a new Open Game License and a distribution platform via DM's Guild. It helps that Dungeons & Dragons has also broadened its audience, with millennials (ages 25 to 34) the largest group, followed closely ages 35 to 44 and 18 to 24 — 30% of which are female.
[h=3]Six Million an Hour?[/h]According to WOTC, six million people are playing D&D at any given hour. UPDATE: I asked Nathan Stewart to clarify this number. This was his response:

There was more context given, wasn't supposed to mean every hour, but yes the aggregate was videogames/boardgames/TRPG (not novels)

The "per hour" seems to be egregious, and is inclusive of D&D-branded video games and board games. Ethan Gilsdorf, author of Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks, said :

For those in the know, for those who follow popular culture, the game has gained a kind of legendary status. It's almost like a badge of honor. People who used to play D&D in the 70s, 80s, and 90s are now reaping the benefits.

The data backs up the RPG renaissance, as per ICv2:

The number of people playing hobby games, the number of people shopping at game stores, the number of stores, and exposure of hobby games at major retailers were all up in 2016, reflecting the now-mainstream nature of the hobby.

Mike Mearls, senior manager of D&D research and design, confirmed ICv2's findings:
We're seeing a bigger audience than we've seen in a very long time—in decades. It's so easy to cast this idea that technology will be the death of D&D, but it's been really interesting to see how that has been absolutely incorrect.
[h=3]Will the Bubble Burst?[/h]Rob Salkowitz at ICv2 predicts that mainstream geek culture will affect other industries, as they take notes on what works for geek fans and apply it to other forms of fandom like sports :

It’s been clear for a while that the fan convention template that we’ve known since the 1960s is fraying at the edges as geek culture becomes mainstream consumer culture. On one hand, this means outside players who smell the money are making their play for the fan audience, with increasingly mixed results. But on the other, it means that longtime convention organizers within the space are looking to push their shows into neighboring territory.

Salkowitz calls this "peak geek" and it has consequences beyond geek circles:

The danger is that, even with a fresh infusion of smart nerds in strategic spots, mainstream media is still more liable than their niche counterparts to credit know-nothings on an equal basis with informed sources, misinterpret nuances, impose faulty narrative frameworks and just plain get stuff wrong when it comes to covering the business of pop culture--especially if they are taking their cues from some of the more excitable fever swamps of online fandom. The result is a much more treacherous environment for the big companies and big name creators unaccustomed to attention from these quarters.

For tabletop games, the primary concern is that eight straight years of growth is unsustainable:

For 2017, there’s widespread concern that the number of releases is going to be greater than the market can support. "I think we're facing some challenges coming into the new year, just on the basis of the breadth of releases," one distributor told us.

But for the moment, things have never looked better for gaming. As more and more media launches -- from videos to streaming to podcasts to television shows to movies -- geek culture will become so normalized that it may well lose some of its identity. Chris Perkins, principal D&D designer, summed up the current state of affairs:

Geek culture and nerd culture is now just culture.

Whether or not that is a good or bad thing will be determined by us.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to
http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.
SaveSave

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

aramis erak

Legend
Actually we kinda do get to define "The Hobby" thats the whole point of being part of the Hobby that we get to define it.

No you don't. You get to define your hobby. You don't get to define my hobby. You don't get to define anything except for yourself.

Society at large (something nebulous with no way to 100% define) gets to define generalities. And when it defines something as mainstream, then it is, but by circular logic and self-definition.

Both points of view are equally detrimental. I certainly don't want to be associated with those who claim Fatal is the ultimate RPG, and yet, there is the issue of needing to have a orking defintiion of the hobby that doesn't preclude newcomers.

The former view is problematic mostly in that it often is used to create us-vs-them dichotomies.

The latter denies that a group hobby is defined by its membership - which is the most important part. It also denies the fact that outsiders group us into clades by common association.- and if we don't visibly exclude certain more toxic segments publicly, we WILL be included with them, and blamed for their misbehaviors.

Our public definitions by inclusion and exclusion are, sociologically, important; if we publicly exclude the more toxic segments, then the general public is likely to accept and adopt that.

Oh, and the batman fan comparison? not a good one. It encompases several discrete, separate hobbies: comic collectors, toy collectors, RPGers, cosplayers, fanfic authors. Casual watchers aren't in a hobby - they may be fans, but fandom is not itself a hobby. Hardcore fans are absent

RPGs are a couple of separate hobbies - those who play, those who collect, those paint minis... and dozens upon dozens of separate fandoms.

hawknsparrow

Explorer
I would look at current DMG sales for all editions. You can then build a very conservative annual estimate based on one game every three weeks or every month x the avg number of hours played (2 or 3... we'll say 2). So... very broad strokes based on some simple net research ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423761-Is-D-amp-D-5e-selling-well ) ... 33000 DMGs annually since 2015... so 66000x2 hours play = 132 thousand hours a month if you count the group... so 183.3 an hour playing with just the DM or 916.5 per hour if you count a group avg of 5 folks. Who knows. That was fun anyway. Cheers!!

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

I'm a returning RPG'er, took a couple of years off from the hobby and played WoW. But the advent of online apps like roll20 and fantasy grounds, I can now play D&D or any other RPG to my hearts content. No more WoW for me. Dont get me wrong, I liked WoW alot but the Legion expansion was just horrible and was pretty much the nail in the coffin as far as ever playing WoW again.

Anyway, glad to be back in the greatest hobby on gods green earth.

Scott

aramis erak

Legend
Hi-

I'm a returning RPG'er, took a couple of years off from the hobby and played WoW. But the advent of online apps like roll20 and fantasy grounds, I can now play D&D or any other RPG to my hearts content. No more WoW for me. Dont get me wrong, I liked WoW alot but the Legion expansion was just horrible and was pretty much the nail in the coffin as far as ever playing WoW again.

Anyway, glad to be back in the greatest hobby on gods green earth.

Scott

Welcome back!

As a Humorous aside, on first read through, my dyslexia kicked in, and I read WoW as WWG - as in White Wolf Games - and was thinking, "What isn't RPGing about Vampire and Werewolf?"...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads