• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We're not fixing any more bugs...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
...because we've now bought vBulletin 4! Woohoo!

So, in the short term, there's not much point us making tweaks and stuff around here (unless they're super-vital ones); I'm currently concentrating on developing the brand new site.

I'm not sure how long it'll take. I've gotten it set up in basic format now, and we're playing with ideas on how to handle a data import from here, etc. Then we have to look through all our myriad modifications and hacks and decide which are vital, and whether there is a vBulletin 4 equivalent (in many cases hacks have become core functionality in vBulletin 4).

The new site will have a LOT of changes. A different look, you may have to learn how to do things all over again, some new functions will be there whle some old functions won't, some priorities will change (some of the social stuff comes more forward in vB4) and so on. Remember that we have 10 years of hacks in this crusty old installation, and vBulletin 4 is brand new, so there isn't nearly the range of hacks to choose from.

Anyway, that was just an update. No time-scale, I'm afraid, because I simply don't know, and I don't want to launch it until I'm happy with it. It might be next week, it might be next month, it might be in 3 months' time.

But it'll be spiffy. :)

I look forward to this, as long as we don't end up with another hypersensitive censorship incident like on that one April 1st. It was dang annoying having every instance of 'head' or 'ass' in a word be replaced with smiley faces.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Anyway, that was just an update. No time-scale, I'm afraid, because I simply don't know, and I don't want to launch it until I'm happy with it. It might be next week, it might be next month, it might be in 3 months' time.

But it'll be spiffy. :)
No release date? Who do you think you are Blizzard Entertainment? We demand an unrealistic release date so we can get all indignant when it isn't met. take away all our fun...grumble

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No release date? Who do you think you are Blizzard Entertainment? We demand an unrealistic release date so we can get all indignant when it isn't met. take away all our fun...grumble

Absolutely! July 10, 2061. I trust you'll applaud us should we miraculously come in under-schedule? :D

LightPhoenix

First Post
Mmm, spiffy. Crusty just doesn't have the same texture to it. :p

I went to the vbulletin website to check out vB4, but the site was down. Anything specific you can preview for us?

Thanee

First Post
...(unless they're super-vital ones)...

Like hr colors?

Ok, guess they are not that vital, after all. ;)

Then we have to look through all our myriad modifications and hacks and decide which are vital, and whether there is a vBulletin 4 equivalent (in many cases hacks have become core functionality in vBulletin 4).

Hopefully, the tags will work the way they did before (especially link syntax, sblocks, font size and such). :)

Bye
Thanee

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mmm, spiffy. Crusty just doesn't have the same texture to it. :p

I went to the vbulletin website to check out vB4, but the site was down. Anything specific you can preview for us?

Well, you can check this out. But it's such a long way from being done that it's probably not wise to form any opinions quite yet.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Like hr colors?

Don't forget that HR tags are deprecated, so they don't so much support now (different browsers respond differently to attempts to colour them).

The standard way of producing a horizontal rule now is to use a CSS border.

I don't know if this helps you at all!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads