• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Were the Player's Handbook Power Cards cancelled?

Simplicity

Explorer
So, I saw on a release calendar at one point that Wizards was planning on releasing Player's Handbook Power Cards in Jan 2009. But it doesn't seem to be on the Wizard's release schedule on their website (anymore?). It's not on Amazon either, but I see that other items like Dungeon Delve (released Feb 2009) are there.

So what's the deal? Have they been canceled? I hope not. My printer shivers and weeps every time I pull out the cardstock to print the next level of powers for my party. Power cards really should have been available day ONE with this edition. They're *vital* for play IMO.

jensun

First Post
They certainly speed up play a lot.

I got mine produced on decent card stock at a local printers. It cost £10 for a complete set for every class. Colour copies would have run to £50 but a bit of time with some coloured markers sorted that out.

I printed mine on regular paper on a laser printer, mark the borders with green/red/yellow fluorescent marker, and put them inside some standard "deck protector" sleeves, with a Magic card behind them for strong backing.

Easy peacy

Jack Colby

First Post
Agreed, they are vital. I attribute their lack to the simple fact that they (Wizards) are trying to make the radically new game seem "just like D&D has always been" in that you can track everything on a character sheet. Maybe technically true, but when cards are so much easier, they really should have acknowledged they are part of the game now and provided them.

One more in a long, long line of things WotC should have done better. I've been super-disappointed with their handling of this edition, even though I am playing the game and generally think it's fun.

amysrevenge

First Post
I printed mine on regular paper on a laser printer, mark the borders with green/red/yellow fluorescent marker, and put them inside some standard "deck protector" sleeves, with a Magic card behind them for strong backing.

Easy peacy

I use those 9/sheet sporting card clear pages. They go in the binder with the character sheet, and I can cross them out with wet erase markers when they get used.

Intrope

First Post
I make cards too; I run thinner cardstock (bought at an office store) through a color laser, which works very well.

I'd love to make 2 sets: one with just the game specfics (on business-card sized cards) and a larger one (on 3x5 or 4x6) that has as much 'helper' info on it as possible for new players to use. Things like an area of effect diagram, or suggestions on how to use it or the like.

From what I understood, power card creation has become a feature of the character builder. If so, that will be worth the price!

Ourph

First Post
No, the official power cards aren't cancelled, they (along with the Martial Power cards) are slated for March, currently.
This I absolutely do not get... at all. The OP is right. These should have been available day 1. I have yet to see someone show up to play a game of 4e without power cards for their character and 90% of them are using the various fan-made cards you can find links to here on ENWorld. Given the obvious demand for these things, why wait so long to get the PHB powers out the door? It's not like making up power cards and getting them printed is rocket science. The fan-made ones were available less than a month after the books were released and it took me all of 2 hours to print out every single PHB power in full color. March?!! Really?!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads