• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Were you a 3.x hater when it was announced and are glad you made the switch?

What were your opinions when 3.x was announced?

• Hated it then, and still hate it now!!

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • I bought it eventually

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I got it and liked it

Votes: 126 68.1%
  • Other

Votes: 22 11.9%
  • Just for you Dialgo!

Votes: 5 2.7%

Zendragon

First Post
With all the Love/Hate for 3.5 and 4th going around, I was just wondering were you upset when 3.0 was announced and are you glad now that you made the switch and why?

Are these the same feelings that you have with 4E announced?

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
I never hated 3E. I just realized it wasn't for me to the point where it was slowly killing my love for RPG's. So I got out of the deathgrip and now I am having as much fun as I remember having back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Out of everyone I know who quit 3E, or never played it, only maybe a 1/4 could be said to actually hate it. The rest of us see no point in hating it. Its just a way of playing that we see no point in, or ended up not enjoying.

So we went back to something we knew we could have much more fun with, or found a new alternative that did the same for us.

I never hated 3E (WOTC is a different story), it just took me a long time to realize it wasn't for me and that something much better for me existed.

Delta

First Post
Guess I'm "Other". I skipped 2E. I picked up a 3E PHB and was impressed at the level of work and care; notably things that were in 1E, dumped in 2E, brought back in 3E -- races, classes, dungeon focus, magic item valuations and creation specifics, demons and devils. Multiclassing and prestige classes were a great idea as outlined in the core books (but overdone after-the-fact, for my taste). I mostly enjoyed 3.0, skipped 3.5, and would ideally like a more cut-down d20 System.

I was pretty excited about 3rd edition as soon as I heard about it. Partly because, with TSR going under, there was the fear that there would be no more D&D at all. And partly because I was well and ready to have a new edition of the game to sink my teeth into. I am somewhat less excited about 4th edition, but still sort of excited...

Later
silver

I made the switch to 3.0 and immediately hated it. It had many redeeming qualities, but ruined my existing campaign. The house rules were so built into the 2e system and the deities and faiths were impossible to recreate in 3.0 (My biggest complaint with the system).

When I switched, I first tried to re-build my world, it didn't work and I quit DMing. The CR system didn't scale for large parties (I have never played with less than 7 people since picking up D&D again (after a break of 4 years) in 1994.) The stress of rules and balance led to burn out and I wasn't having any fun anymore. I decided to play, and frankly wasn't all that impressed then either.

Seeing my failures and noting the failures of the DM I was playing with at the time, I approached him about building a shared world, where we both ran it and controlled different aspects, allowing us to create multiple NPCs for encounters without one person having to play all of them. For the last three years, its worked, not always well, but its worked. So I wasn't so much of a hater as an apathetic participant.

4e is a chance to move the campaign towards a larger and more expansive vision. If I can create the fluff because the crunch is simple and self-explanatory, then I'm ready for 4e now. If it just bogs me down with aids and accessories, it will be time to re-evaluate whether D&D is right for me.

I bought it out of curiousity and liked it, at first. Over the course of multiple campaigns, I became more and more dissatisfied with it. Eventually, I dropped it in favor of systems that fit my style and preferences better.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I hated it -- partly because I wasn't open-minded enough to take a look at it back then and partly because I feared having to try/learn something different. When I did finally grab it, I liked it, though I still prefer many third-party d20 variants to D&D 3x.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I liked 3E and was ready for it to be good. I had not liked 1E, was overall unsatisfied with 2E and its attempts to make character creation more varied and fun.

3E made character creation fun and varied, which has kept it with me even with its many other flaws.

Now we will see if 4E is a step forward or back

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads