• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weremouse Race Template Creation

RYPros53

First Post
So one of my players is starting his own Eberron campaign soon and someone who is playing in it wants to be a weremouse. I'm looking for suggestions on how to create this homebrew race and how it would work mechanically in the game.

Some of my initial thoughts were that instead of him turning into a mouse for one night out of the month (full moon) it would be more of a shape shifting ability where perhaps he could transform into a mouse as a minor action encounter power and gain a speed 5 (burrow).

What would the other racial bonuses be? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Obviously we want to keep it as balanced as possible with the other races.

FireLance

Legend
If you're using themes, you could consider the Dead Rat Deserter from the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

Otherwise, you could start with a changeling base, and swap out changeling disguise for the Dead Rat Deserter's body of the rat, then make other switches as appropriate:

Maybe +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom or Charisma for ability scores.

+2 to Acrobatics and Stealth for skill bonuses.

Change the +1 to Will to +1 to Reflex.

Maybe build the racial encounter ability along the same lines? A minor action Hide vs Passive Perception check to gain some benefit? If not combat advantage, then maybe something defensive like concealment from the target and the target cannot make opportunity attacks against you until the end of your next turn?

Last edited:

RYPros53

First Post
I don't have the changeling or dead rat deserter template info in front of me but I'm assuming the dead eat deserter power you're talking about allows the player to shapeshift into a rat (or in this case a mouse) instead of the changelings power which I know only allows shifting into medium-sized humanoids.

I like the +2 dexterity +2 wisdom or charisma option. Also like the skill bonuses you mentioned, and the change from +1 will to +1 reflex.

So a minor action encounter power to shift to a mouse and gain speed 6 (burrow) which he can change back from as a free action. While in mouse form he can burrow past enemies and not grant AoO and also use a standard action encounter power to shift back to humanoid, stay hidden (stealth vs. percep) and get CA against that creature on next turn.

Are there any features of leveling up with changeling powers that would conflict with the weremouse template? As in, options that wouldn't make sense?

FireLance

Legend
Actually, changeling disguise and body of the rat are both at-will minor action powers. The Hide vs Perception to gain concealment (Bluff vs Insight to gain combat advantage for the changeling) is the minor action encounter power. Body of the rat actually grants a climb speed, not a burrow speed, and while I have a hard time imagining a mouse (or rat) burrowing even 5 feet in 6 seconds, go for it if it makes sense to you.

I don't think that changelings get any other fixed benefits from levelling up. Of course, optional material like racial feats, racial paragon paths and racial utility powers may not be suitable or easily adaptable, but that's the downside of homebrewing.

RYPros53

First Post
Ok, yes I do see that a burrow speed of 6 squares is a little ludicrous, so maybe I'll make it 3 squares or just 2. He is a magical mouse, after all.

Language: "Speak With Rodents"?

Maybe he could have a racial daily power to summon a small swarm of mice and then he'd control that swarm until it was bloodied, and then he'd instantly morph back to humanoid.

Unwise

Adventurer
What about a Hengeyokai? I don't think you really need a template, just play one of them. I can't think of anything you need that it does not already provide.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
It may also be worth reminding your friend that Eberron has 12 moons, all of which affect lycanthropes equally strongly, on any given night it is likely that at least one will be full so causing cheese related cravings.

RYPros53

First Post
What's a Hengeyokai? I've never heard of it. I can look it up, but is there a sourcebook its in?

And yes, Kynn, I saw that today. Isn't that strange that WotC posted a wererat theme 1 day after I started this thread? READING MY MIND :eek:

And I'll make sure to remind the DM that Eberron has 12 moons, and cheese cravings will be rampant.

Thanks!

Quickleaf

Legend
So one of my players is starting his own Eberron campaign soon and someone who is playing in it wants to be a weremouse. I'm looking for suggestions on how to create this homebrew race and how it would work mechanically in the game.

Some of my initial thoughts were that instead of him turning into a mouse for one night out of the month (full moon) it would be more of a shape shifting ability where perhaps he could transform into a mouse as a minor action encounter power and gain a speed 5 (burrow).

What would the other racial bonuses be? Any other thoughts or suggestions? Obviously we want to keep it as balanced as possible with the other races.

I must be the only one who immediately thought of this AD&D character sheet Tony Diterlizzi put together...

samwhiskers.jpg

Remove ads