Werewolf: the Apocalypse 5th Edition Trailer

Hunters Entertainment, who created Kids on Bikes and The ABCs of D&D has announced, Werewolf 5th Edition for 2021.

Hunters Entertainment, who created Kids on Bikes and The ABCs of D&D has announced, Werewolf 5th Edition for 2021.

HUNTERS ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP FOR WEREWOLF: THE APOCALYPSE 5TH EDITION

Los Angeles, CA - December 7th 2019. Hunters Entertainment (Kids on Bikes, Outbreak: Undead, Altered Carbon) is excited and proud to announce their partnership with Paradox Interactive, the owners of the World of Darkness (Vampire: The Masquerade, Bloodlines 2, Mage: The Ascension) to develop and publish Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5th Edition, the next evolution of the fan-favorite tabletop roleplaying game through Renegade Games (Scott Pilgrim, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Clank, Lanterns).

Werewolf: The Apocalypse takes place in a fictional version of our Earth: the World of Darkness. In the World of Darkness, werewolves, vampires, magicians, and monsters are all living among us. An entire supernatural world hidden in plain sight. You are one of these monsters, pretending to be human but fighting for survival and supremacy among mysteries and conspiracies that threaten the existence of humanity.

"Werewolf is about how we help/hinder each other to survive against great odds," said Ivan Van Norman, partner and producer of Hunters Entertainment. "This game was the first campaign I ever GM’ed, and I believe its stories are more relevant and impactful now than they’ve ever been - which is why we're excited to bring it back to fans old and new."

Players will play as Garou, individuals born of two worlds, the material and the Umbra (spirit world), who can shapeshift into wolves at will. In Werewolf: The Apocalypse the world, Gaia, is dying. After many generations, the Garou - Gaia’s chosen warriors and defenders - are divided on how to save the planet, their spiritual mother. Attacked by outside forces and plagued by infighting, each Garou tribe shares different ideologies and goals, which have - up to this point - all failed them in their ultimate goal, to rescue a dying Gaia.

Set to release in 2021, the new edition of Werewolf: The Apocalypse has been long anticipated by fans and was teased at PDX Con in Berlin by the World of Darkness team.

"The story of the Garou has never been more relevant than it is today, which means Werewolf has an important role in the unique, global, transmedia setting we are building with the World of Darkness. In Hunters Entertainment we have a partner who clearly shares our passion for The Apocalypse," said Sean Greaney, Brand Manager for World of Darkness at Paradox Interactive. "We were particularly impressed by their creative vision and ability, and so we are very happy to be partnering with them in bringing this newest chapter of Werewolf to the world."

Mechanically, the game is set to share a lot of similarities with the recent release of Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition but will have a lot of elements that make it unique.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5th Edition will be marketed and distributed by Renegade Games, and will be available in retail stores internationally and online.

Derren

Hero
Now I am a bit confused. Isn't Apocalype the Old World of Darkness? I thought the new Werewolf line are the Forsaken?
Have they switched back to oWoD or are both lines running in parallel?

Now I am a bit confused. Isn't Apocalype the Old World of Darkness? I thought the new Werewolf line are the Forsaken?
Have they switched back to oWoD or are both lines running in parallel?
Now they are both, running in parallel, the classic or old WoD, and the new one, now called "Chronicles of Darkness". We can say the d20 Anniversay Ed. has been the 4th Ed.

zhivik

Explorer
The latter. In fact, I think there are currently THREE parallel Vampire lines. Requiem, Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition, and Masquerade 5th Edition.

20th Anniversary Editions are not separate lines but a kind of a revisited edition for each main line (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Wraith, Dark Ages). Rules and storylines have been cleaned up, the books offer plenty of options which version of the end-gaming events for each line happened (including none at all), etc. They are the best versions of classic World of Darkness lines at the moment, in my opinion.

In the case of Vampire, the 20th anniversary edition is effectively its fourth edition, as it comes after two numbered editions (first and second) and a revised one (third). It is why the books published recently are 5th edition. If I remember correctly, Paradox intends to keep the 5th edition label for all lines, to avoid confusion.

Meanwhile, Chronicles of Darkness lines have never stopped being developed and published, they only switched from White Wolf to Onyx Path after CCP, the owner of White Wolf before Paradox, started letting go WW developers. One of the first things Paradox did after acquiring WW was to introduce the “Chronicles of Darkness” label, as the previous name, “New World of Darkness”, was often confusing. Chronicles of Darkness lines (Requiem, Forsaken, Awakening, etc.) are now in their second edition and Paradox seem to be happy how things are going, so I expect Onyx Path to keep developing new books.

I believe there are still a few books in development for 20A editions currently at Onyx Path, but you need to check their site for more info. It’s best to look at the Monday Notes posts, they always have a list with ongoing projects at the end. However, I doubt there will be new books commissioned after those in development are completed, especially after books for a newer edition are in the pipeline.

20th Anniversary Editions are not separate lines but a kind of a revisited edition for each main line (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Wraith, Dark Ages).
I'd say it's still a distinct line. The way I see it, there was the original World of Darkness, which ended its run in 2004, and there are three "successors." We got New World/Chronicles of Darkness, which was a full reboot. Then later we got the 20th Anniversary editions which are just slightly updated compilations of Classic WoD material, but they still get supplements so it counts as a gameline rather than just being a one-off thing. And then there's 5th Edition, which is kind of a soft reboot, since the world is still the same but things are different enough that it feels new.

So the 20th Anniversary editions might be limited runs, but they're still running parellel to two other products and potentially confusing for someone who's looking to get into Vampire.

EDIT: Holy Kindred Jesus, was the 20th Anniversary Edition really 8 years ago already? I suddenly feel very old.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The WoD Cosmology is Weaver-Wyrd-Wyrm, an evolution of Chaos vs Law by Michale Moorcock's work, and this is a variant of the classic manicheism good vs evil. This is wrong. The idea of a cosmic balance between light and dark sides of the Force as ying and yang is wrong.

With respect - it is FICTIONAL.

Have you not noticed that these games have... werewolves, vampires, and stuff? You know, it is incorrect to say those things exist... but it is a game.

D&D... it has gods for clerics to worship... those are wrong, too, right? I mean, they don't reflect our real world.

You don't have to like what WW does. But to say an entirely fictional metaphysical system is wrong is kind of like saying the image for the Enterprise NCC-1701-D is wrong. It isn't right or wrong - it is made up!

You don't have to like what WW does. But to say an entirely fictional metaphysical system is wrong is kind of like saying the image for the Enterprise NCC-1701-D is wrong. It isn't right or wrong - it is made up!

Precisely. WoD has always had people saying "OMG the basic idea of the universe is wrong!" (or the classic "The Technocracy is right!!!"), but it's not very compelling as an argument given that as you say, the WoD is fictional, and further, it's quite engaging and tends to provoke interesting conflicts, which many supernatural RPGs with different cosmological setups fail to do.

I feel more comfortable in a fantasy world of D&D, or Exalted, where natural laws are different, and this allows pokemon-like creatures with superpowers. But not works set in our real life whose point of view about supernatural is too different from mine. I don't like to see in the same level a saint missionary who help people to build a new hospital than a blackafrican shaman who kills albines to use their body parts for ritual magic. (killing albines in Africa for magic ritual is a real tragedy, but the book of the Dreamspeakers will not tell this). To say it is only fiction doesn't help me to feel better.

About W:tA I don't like the false dillema about to choose between modern technology or to save mother Nature. I hate that Malthusian naughty word about there are too much overpopulation, when this isn't not the true problem. W:tA isn't about saving the Nature for the future of the next generations but annoying ecocatratrophism, when mankind appears as a cancer for the planet. If we really want to save the nature then we have to notice the true root of the troubles is being controlled by people who haven't to worry about suffering the consecuences of their actions because we are who will pay for the broken plates.

I hate when White Wolf's fiction is used report against fanaticism to warn us against following those steps toward the dark side of the Force but they are always forgetting a very important lesson: the respect for the human dignity. Without this the rebell against authority later becomes a new tyrant.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads