Westgate Campaign (FINAL UPDATE 8/19/2005)

Morte

Explorer
Westgate always looked like a fun setting. Interesting stories coming together here. Keep it coming.

Last edited:

Ranger5

First Post
Thanks Morte. It is actually a lot of fun. The next adventure in the Westgate campaign is this coming Friday night. It will be the Courynn/Elric adventure. The update will be shortly afterwards.

Ranger5

First Post
Campaign Addendum

One thing I forgot to put into these write-ups, though they have been stated during the actual game sessions (and I think one of the players may have even made a note of it :eek: ;) ) is that the biggest piece of news making headlines in the city of Westgate are the constant attacks on the Vhammos family caravans. The Vhammos family is one of the oldest noble families in the city and has always been the most ruthless and well let's say "not nice" of the city's nobility. However, in the last several months, their merchant caravans have been the victims of a mysterious group of raiders that seem to know exactly where to hit them. Rumor has it that it may be the work of another noble family in the city.

Ranger5

First Post
The Sixth Adventure – Interludes and Examinations Part 2

This is Part 2 of a split adventure. The party splits up and this one deals with Elric and Courynn. Part 1 dealt with Thanon, Alexi and Dari.

Having lost his paladinhood to the dark magics of the murderer he had been chasing for months, Courynn was now free of the evil taint but still was not fully a paladin yet. Having consulted with Brother Lorcan of the temple of Tyr, Elric was told that the only way to regain his grace with Tyr was to destroy the dagger the murderer had used in his ritual. However its secrets remained hidden from the divinations of the clerics of Tyr. Brother Lorcan was able to provide some direction though. He advised Courynn to see Brother Malchor, also a cleric of Tyr and a sage, living on the small hamlet of Welwyn. The hamlet was located six days east at the foot of the Giant’s Run Mountains.

With this, Courynn decided to set out immediately. Elric knowing his new friend might need help decided to join him. So the two agents said goodbye to Thanon, Alexi and Dari and left for Welwyn with the dagger on the 17th of Nightal.

The journey was uneventful and the two agents reached Welwyn shortly after midday on sixth day. They secured rooms and consulted with the innkeeper as to where to find Brother Malchor. The cleric spent a lot of his time with the mayor in the Town Hall.

At the Town Hall, Courynn and Elric met with Brother Malchor and the mayor, Lady Arabella Varain. Courynn explained why they had come from Westgate and the two decided to speak in private in Malchor’s home. Lady Varain decided to show Elric her small town.

When Courynn showed Malchor the dagger, the cleric nearly gasped. He said he knew this dagger but believed it was a myth. He then rummaged through his many books finally settling on an old dusty tome. He flipped though it until he found the relevant passage.

A thousand years ago, the angel Aniel was a force for good that did battle with the powers of evil and darkness. His only weapons were his faith and his magical dagger that could dispatch most evil beings. Such was his power; the forces of darkness greatly feared him. Eventually though, the a demon prince came up with a plan to not only rid themselves of such an enemy but turn him into a powerful agent of evil.

Using ancient rites and dark sorceries, the demon prince was able to convince Aniel that he had been abandoned by his god and fellow celestials. After a millenium of victories against the darkness, he began to question what he was doing. This eventually led to his downfall as he slowly sank into anger and despair. At first he began to pass judgment on those that before would have seen leniency. Then eventually he fell into outright murder. In a final blow to his sanity, he ended up murdering an entire village of innocents. In the fire and bloodshed he was no longer the angel Aniel but the demon Logoth. And his dagger, formerly an instrument of good and righteousness became an artifact of evil called Shadaar.

Eventually, his former brethren tracked him down and did battle with him. In the end, as he was being overwhelmed, in one final act of defiance, he threw his dagger across the multiverse.

The dagger eventually landed on Faerun near a small mountain city called Aridhol. The city was home to many metalsmiths that mined the local mountains for iron ore. It was found a by a young man from the city. Before he was aware it had grabbed hold of his mind and slowly turned him evil. And it did not stop there. Before long the whole city fell into evil and depraved ways. The only one not to be touched was a simple blacksmith that tried in vain to save his city. He crafted a hammer, called Siegehammer, to destroy the dagger. But before it could be used, he was killed by demonic forces. Eventually, the inhabitants destroyed themselves and the city fell into ruin and was forgotten. The fate of the dagger was also lost to the mists of time.

Malchor told Courynn that he believed he knew where the ruins of Aridhol lay and that he believed Siegehammer was still there. Three days journey into the mountains there was a shell of a ruined structure that Malchor believed was all the remained of Aridhol. He warned Courynn that strange evils lurked in the area of the likes no one has ever seen.

The next day, Courynn and Elric set out for the ruins. When they arrived they could almost feel the evil permeating the very air around the ruins. As they approached they spotted some short humanoid creatures with dark cracked skin, horns, and a demonic glow to their eyes. The agents did battle and were victorious. Within the shell of the ruined walls, they found stairs descending into catacombs below.

The two agents battled against many strange demonic creatures below in the catacombs very nearly losing their lives a few times. They did not find Siegehammer but did find a well that lead down even further into darkness. The two agents climbed down the well and found a set of caverns that had been carved from the rock.

In the darkness below they found even more foul and demonic creatures. They fought bravely and valiantly. And even during some of the battles, Courynn’s former holy powers would resurface.

However, they eventually did meet their match. Three demonic looking vampire creatures, blasted the two heroes with fell fiery magics. Courynn and Elric were unable to resist the creatures’ spells and the two heroes fell together in a blast of hellfire.

Last edited:

Ranger5

First Post
Sneak Peek - Act 1 Finale "The Enemy of My Enemy.."

With 1372 DR coming to a close, the Harper agents have all undergone serious trials and tests of their mettle. With the departure of one agent and the deaths of two others, will the other two be able to continue their mission in a city of ever growing danger and mystery? Will their pasts finally catch up to them and will they be able to survive if they do?

Their next mission will be the hardest one they have gone on so far. They will be joined by new friends and meet up with new enemies. They will need not only their might and magics, but their wits as well. And when the dust settles, those that survive will have some answers but may be left with more questions.

The next adventure should take place in two weeks and will probably take a few sessions. An update will follow once it is complete. Stay tuned!

Morte

Explorer
This Westgate is a dangerous place... Perhaps you should get them to read The Liberation of Tenh for Heydrichus's maxim on not splitting the party. ;)

What sort of level are these guys anyhow? Would they have the gold and contacts for a Raise Dead scroll or two? [Not that that seems especially feasible at the moment, I'm just curious.]

Ranger5

First Post
Morte said:
This Westgate is a dangerous place... Perhaps you should get them to read The Liberation of Tenh for Heydrichus's maxim on not splitting the party. ;)

What sort of level are these guys anyhow? Would they have the gold and contacts for a Raise Dead scroll or two? [Not that that seems especially feasible at the moment, I'm just curious.]

Well the players cannot be blamed for splitting up really. It was actually due to players not being able to be there one night and my idea of a split adventure. :heh:

But they did know the risks and the two players of Courynn and Elric actually had a good time. It was just a matter of bad rolls. But sometimes, as Muddman said, "thems the breaks".

As for Raise Dead, yes they could. In fact Alexi has already been raised once. However, the problem is that the bodies are in a far off dungeon and the rest of the characters have not learned of their companions fate yet.

And they are all 7th level currently except Alexi who is almost 7th.

Ranger5

First Post
Dari's Letter

The following letter will be found by Alexi and Thanon on the 22nd day of Nightal.

My dear friends-

Since I left my homeland you are the only ones I have truly been able to call friend. Because of this I feel I must leave. I have harbored a secret that has come to haunt me. I do not wish to place you in any further danger and so I cannot tell you where I will go. I only ask that you not be harsh with Nagrath, he was only doing what my tribe asked of him. It is true what he said; I am a wanted criminal in my homeland. It was an accident, but I fear that may not matter. Dear Thanon, do not worry about me avoiding justice. Someday when I am old and grey I will return home to face punishment. Westgate is a dangerous place and so I am leaving behind Reckoner. Take care of it, as it has taken care of me. I will always count you among my friends.

Nadari Dardragon

Muddman

First Post
"As for Raise Dead, yes they could. In fact Alexi has already been raised once. However, the problem is that the bodies are in a far off dungeon and the rest of the characters have not learned of their companions fate yet."

Whoo hoo, there is still hope for my paladin :)

He's doing a great job of weaving a storyline together. I just hope that all these changes in the party won't disrupt it. I think my favorite part of the campaign so far is the recording of days and weeks on the calander. This way our PCs have time to do all the "normal" things we would want to do and the acurate passage of time. My games have never taken the time to figure this stuff out, and its a subtle but beautiful touch.

Remove ads