• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WH40K Roleplaying Games - Preparatory Reading and Advice

ffanxii4ever

First Post
Recently, I have gotten my hands on a copy of Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, and plan on eventually getting Deathwatch, and I'm definitely thinking about coming up with a game to run. However, I don't play the tabletop game (I don't have the money for all those minis), and so I figured that I will pick up some of the 40K novels and get some knowledge of the universe that way. Well, I have finished reading the Eisenhorn Omnibus and am currently reading the Ravenor Omnibus, and I was wondering if there were any other 40K novels that others can recommend to get into the history, feel, and mythos of the 40K universe.

Also, does anyone who has experience running any/some/all of the 40K RPGs have any advice for running one of these games?

scourger

Explorer
I love the Caiphas Cain novels. He is a really different kind of 40K hero - a commissar who is really kind of vain & self-serving inside. The style of writing is just fun to read. And, that is more how I envision 40K (or at least how I would want it to be).

Unfortunately, I can't help you with running of the 40K RPGs. I have them, but I have never played - and it doesn't look like I will. If I did anything in that vein, it would be with Savage Worlds rules anyway.

Arnix

First Post
Which type of 40k are you running?

Inquisitorial?
- Inquisitor by Ian Watson
- Eisenhorn Saga by Dan Abnet (Malleus, Xenos, and Hereticus)
- Ravenor Series by Dan Abnet (post Eisenhorn)

Marines?
- Space Marine
- Angels of Darkness
- Deathwing
- Horus Rising, False Gods, and Galaxy in Flames

Imperial Guard?
- Caiphas Cain by Sandy Mitchell
- Gaunt's Ghosts

Remove ads