• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 1st ed AD&D Adventures are the Best? List them here!

The Shaman

First Post
TSR
D1 Descent Into the Depths
D2 Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
D3 Vault of the Drow
G1-3 Against the Giants
Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits
S2 White Plume Mountain
T1 Village of Hommlet
Keep on the Borderlands

Judges Guild
Tegel Manor

Phoenix Games
The Lost Abbey of Calthonwey

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
gizmo33 said:
Yes, I DMed it as the conclusion of the GD series about 20 years ago. It was very hard to keep Lolth alive against fighters that were high enough level so that -10 AC wasn't on the "repeated 20" section of the combat charts. IMC she managed to escape though (as planned) - but her poor combat showing wasn't what I'd expect from a Demon Queen though.

I didn't care for the giant machine spider - didn't fit IMC (with a type V demon secretary? please). I would have preferred a giant spider web like the one in the Krull movie. I liked the "pathway" web for the outer realms though, and the pocket dimensions are pretty cool.

I wouldn't say it sucked, but it's as dated as the other modules. IMO people don't like it because the GDQ series was Gygax's and IIRC he has said some unkind things about it. I'd be curious as to candidates for what a better site-based, outer planar adventure would be.

Like I said, I have always been fascinated by it. But it seemed like it would take a fair amount to make "operational", and much more so then say the Ds...still, something to think about.

Gundark

Explorer
This was a expert/companion sytle adventure so it doesn't fit your criteria but X10 red arrow, black shield was by far rmy most favourite adventure of all time. Diplomacy, epic battles, vile villian...this module had it all.

Roadkill101

Explorer
I've owned (and in a few cases still own): T1, T1-4, the A series (as seprates), the G series (as seperates), D1-2, U1, B4, X1, have recently downloaded (within the last year or two) B1 and B3. I also own some sort of 2e 0-level module called Treasure Hunt (IIRC), and 3e Sunless Citadel plus all 3 Undermountain sets (with the origanl being more of a tool or aid than module IMO).
The only one I've ever tried to run or played was Sunless Citadel. Either way it was a wash, because both were for only one session.
My personal favorite is B2. And the original Undermountain, simply because of the size and complexity of the maps (I've always felt Ed used the Ranndom Dungeon Generation Tables from the 1e DMG, though I've never heard any official word for or against).
And yes, I know this is supposed to be only for 1e modules, but others have already deviated, nor am I inclined to reply multiple similiar threads.

Ghostwind

First Post
H3 The Bloodstone Wars (The assassin's guild was excellent to run players through)
H4 Throne of Bloodstone (Was the foundation for epic group that led to many years' worth of adventures and plots).

gizmo33

First Post
TerraDave said:
Like I said, I have always been fascinated by it. But it seemed like it would take a fair amount to make "operational", and much more so then say the Ds...still, something to think about.

I guess it depends on what you mean by operational - you could probably sketch out a quick "pit" of spiderwebs with some of the best encounters from the "spider ship" and use the rest of the module as is.

The D-series, on the other hand, IMO takes a lot of work - especially in places like the Drow city. It's also very combat intensive - exhausting to players and DMs IMO if run as written.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
T. Foster said:
UK2: The Gauntlet, UK3: The Sentinel, UK4: When a Star Falls, UK6: All That Glitters

Yeah, these are truly amazing. :cool:

The UK series is often overlooked, which is too bad, since it included the best modules for 1e, IMO.

CZHorse

First Post
I would have to say the following would be my all time list:

S1
A1-3
S4
S2
D1-3
Dark Tower
Tengal Manor
B1
Temple of Elemental Evil