• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 1st-level spells should any Wizard have?

What 1st-level spells should any Wizard have? (Pick multiple)

• Alarm

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Animate Rope

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Burning Hands

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • Cause Fear

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Charm Person

Votes: 66 24.0%
  • Chill Touch

• Color Spray

Votes: 68 24.7%
  • Comprehend Languages

Votes: 49 17.8%
  • Detect Secret Doors

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Detect Undead

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Disguise Self

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • Endure Elements

• Enlarge Person

Votes: 49 17.8%
  • Erase

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Expeditious Retreat

Votes: 57 20.7%
  • Feather Fall

Votes: 55 20.0%
  • Floating Disk

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Grease

Votes: 67 24.4%
  • Hold Portal

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Hypnotism

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Identify

Votes: 102 37.1%
  • Jump

• Mage Armor

Votes: 186 67.6%
  • Magic Aura

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Magic Missile

Votes: 188 68.4%
  • Magic Weapon

• Mount

• Obscuring Mist

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law

Votes: 45 16.4%
  • Ray of Enfeeblement

Votes: 58 21.1%
  • Reduce Person

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Shield

Votes: 111 40.4%
  • Shocking Grasp

• Silent Image

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • Sleep

Votes: 97 35.3%
  • Summon Monster I

Votes: 23 8.4%
  • True Strike

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • Unseen Servant

Votes: 25 9.1%
  • Ventriloquism

Votes: 7 2.5%

frankthedm

First Post
Thanee said:
You can't have an open slot in your spellbook. :p

Bye
Thanee

dcollins said:
Say you have a Wizard of about 3rd level -- adventuring, PC or NPC, non-specialized, non-multiclassed, core rules only. He or she can prepare maybe 3 spells of 1st-level. What spells should he or she prepare in those slots?

Spell Selection and Preparation: Until she prepares spells from her spellbook, the only spells a wizard has available to cast are the ones that she already had prepared from the previous day and has not yet used. During the study period, she chooses which spells to prepare. If a wizard already has spells prepared (from the previous day) that she has not cast, she can abandon some or all of them to make room for new spells.

When preparing spells for the day, a wizard can leave some of these spell slots open. Later during that day, she can repeat the preparation process as often as she likes, time and circumstances permitting. During these extra sessions of preparation, the wizard can fill these unused spell slots. She cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one or fill a slot that is empty because she has cast a spell in the meantime. That sort of preparation requires a mind fresh from rest. Like the first session of the day, this preparation takes at least 15 minutes, and it takes longer if the wizard prepares more than one-quarter of her spells.

Thanee

First Post
Ah, he asked for prepared spells (didn't check back :D). Ok, then the free slot is, of course, a good idea, even though not the point of the poll (which is why I thought the spellbook was meant). :)

Bye
Thanee

NimrodvanHall

First Post
the question above the poll:
{QUOTE}What 1st-level spells should any Wizard have?{/QUOTE}

every wizzard should have identyfy, the rest is to their own liking.

that the 1st post asks for what spells a 3rd lvl wizard should memorise in his 1st lvl spell slots... that was not the question.

what i would memorise:
enlarge, for the party tank,
mage armor, for some AC
alarm, to warn against nightly predators/robbers.

Morrow

First Post
Somewhat Tangential to the Topic

I see that sleep, charm person, and color spray enjoy prominent places on many lists. What would you recommend for a wizard who doesn't have those as an option? For example a 1st level conjurer who, in a fit of suicidal enthusiasm, chose enchantment and illusion for his barred schools.

Morrow

MonsterMash

First Post
I chose Magic Missile, Sleep and Mage Armour, with additional slots I probably would have added (in order) Colour Spray, Grease, Charm Person

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Another one for enlarge person here! 3 minutes of super tank is not to be sniffed at and is likely to do more damage than anything else I've seen.

Sleep and mage armour are both good, for all the reasons everyones already said. Although mage armour is a total winner if you have a monk in the party - will make worlds of difference at this level.

Also like True strike - the 95% hit with an attack is neat. Can occasionally be very nice if you have to cut a rope or hit some vital target. Had a low level mage with this find a balista once - ouchy. :)

Legildur

First Post
Nail said:
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Enlarge Person. It's an *excellent* buff spell for the low-level types. Put it on your fighter, and watch his average weapon damage go up...especially if it was a greatsword to start with. That extra reach ain't a bad thing either, if you expect the enemy to charge at you or if the fighter has the cleave feat. (Orc Croquet, anyone?)

Moreover, Enlarge person is a battlefield control spell. Having your meat shield take up more space in front of you is never a bad thing. :)
I'm with Nail on this one. And the spell also helps immeasurably in a grapple. But the funniest thing I've seen in the long time was in our last session, where the only thing standing between the 3rd level sorceror and a fiendish owl bear in the 10 ft wide corridor was the elven rogue brandishing a long spear. Typically the rogue liked to have Enlarge Person cast on him to really up his reach, so the sorceror obliged him this time without him even asking to turn him into a meat shield. The rogue wasn't happy about it and tried to resist the spell, but failed the save.

Defensive spells are typically not taken in my group. We usually have 6-7 PCs and most times the arcane caster has a bodyguard of some desciption. Only rarely are they isolated.

Grease I chose due to another thread discussing it's possible uses and value.

Magic Missile is a no-brainer for us as I can't remember how many times a force effect has been a saviour. Not only that, the chances of a crossbow strike firing through cover into melee when the front line fighter is defending his life are fairly remote, while MM is a sure thing.

Enlarge Person, Grease, Magic Missile.

Remove ads